Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

IM Netlinx?

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a way to send an "Instant Message" to a Netlinx system? My cell phone (Nextel) has an AOL IM interface and I'm sure most others do.

I am trying to acheive a more dynamic WAN control of my system. Currently I use the I!Equipment Monitor In checking a mailbox quite frequently. This method can be slow to respond and is quite a bit of effort for the occasional remote command. An IM type method seems to be the ideal method.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Well I developped in past a Jabber client for NetLinx System, that allowed to connect to a Jabber server with a valid ID, get contact list and receive messages. I didn't get time still to continue it !

Concerning AOL, protocol is closed and pretty complicated to implement in a NetLinx System. Do you have a way to run a Jabber client in your cellphone ? Well better as it's an open System :)

Vince
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I don't know what a Jabber is.
  • Options
    Jabber is an IM protocol such as Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger or AIM, but its main difference is it's an open protocol, so anyone is free to develop clients or servers that are compatible with Jabber protocol. You should visit http://www.jabber.org to get more details about it ;)

One thing interesting also with Jabber is Gateway concept. With a single account on Jabber you can be in same time connected at all other IM networks ;)

Vinc
  • Options
    Paul LeePaul Lee Posts: 1
    What about GAIM?
    vincen wrote:
    Concerning AOL, protocol is closed and pretty complicated to implement in a NetLinx System.
    Vince

Well.. MSN, AIM and Yahoo Messengers may very well be closed sources but there is an open source IM client that works with all of them.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

which leads me to believe that they all have some kind of public API available for programmers to work with them. Maybe someone out there can shed some light on where we can obtain something like that?
  • Options
    Yep you are right, you can find in source code of these GPL applications explanations on protocols of these IM systems, but it's less than easy to implement in Netlinx. I had done some research on AIM protocol and you need to implement a key coder/decoder to initiate a session and it's pretty difficult to implement in NetLinx (Perhaps not impossible but really not simple from what I had seen ;)

Vinc
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    I had started looking into an MSM-type project, but stopped when I found out that I needed HTTPS access to their Nexus server. :(

This was one of the things I was hoping Duet would help with, but the Java version in the Duet firmware has the HTTPS calls taken out. :(

- Chip
  • Options
    Chip Moody wrote:
    I had started looking into an MSM-type project, but stopped when I found out that I needed HTTPS access to their Nexus server. :(

This was one of the things I was hoping Duet would help with, but the Java version in the Duet firmware has the HTTPS calls taken out. :(

- Chip

Chip, is this true?

Did you check with Tech Support concerning HTTPS?
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    I checked with the guy that was doing the Duet class that I attended... Plus none of the documentation made references either.

- Chip