Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Tango audio without SWT

Does any one know if the Tango audio controller/amp ( 8X4 ) can be used without the SWT kepads? I want to control via RS232 only. I can do so, however one of the channels on four zones is out.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Does any one know if the Tango audio controller/amp ( 8X4 ) can be used without the SWT kepads? I want to control via RS232 only. I can do so, however one of the channels on four zones is out.

Thanks

We commonly use them on RS232. I don't know what you are asking about the channel being out, it is NOT because you are controlling on RS232 if that's the actual question. If one channel is out on all four zones, you may have your balance set all the way to one side.
  • Options
    If one channel is "out" on all four zones, you likely have it wired incorrectly. Because the Tango supports SWT, there is a common ground and a "data" connection. If you aren't using SWT keypads, you don't wire it like a traditional amplifier. Left positive goes to the left positive speaker terminal, same for right positive, and then the grounds on each speaker are connected to the same (single) ground connection on the Tango.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've got burnt by that connector wiring myself. Got to love installers that assume from the layout of the connector that they know how to connect it. Reminds me of the old Bogen equipment that used to have the big notice on the back: "ASSUME NOTHING!!"

But I've used them as multiroom switches and nothing else, they are fine for that purpose and you don't need to have any keypads. That said, for the price you may as well just use a matrix instead. I only did it because I had one lying around doing nothing anyway.