Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

How far will IR travel?

Does anyone know how far I can run an IR cable?
I need to run IR to a TV and the cable length will be about 60 feet.
We will probably use the standard AMX IR emitter. Is there a better one to use for this purpose?

Kenny

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    60' is quite possible, it depends on the wire, of course, but I've had runs that long work fine. Just stay away from emitters that have indicator lights, they suck up a lot of current.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    There are several OEM IR gazintas that you can use to extend IR. Niles makes an IR block that allows you to extend IR quite far.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    You can go well over 100 feet with a low capacitance cable like Cat 5.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
  • You can go well over 100 feet with a low capacitance cable like Cat 5.

I agree. Once i controlled a B&O DVD Player in that distance (and keep in mind that B&O equipment are using high IR frequencies in 455 KHz). The player was in the ground floor and the NI-3000 in the basement.

Kostas
    The issue with long IR runs is not voltage drop as it would be with a long extension cord and a power tool. The current drawn by the LED is only in the area of 5-20 milliamps. The distance issue is from capacitance which causes the square wave corners of the data to round. Given that Ethernet over twisted pair cable is rated at 100 meters and Ethernet's data rate is MUCH higher than IR, I would guess that you could go well over 100 meters with IR.
  • banobano Posts: 173
    IR go long way over UTP

I took a 1000' box of cat 5 coupled the pairs together,ir port to blue pair, coupled to orange pair, coupled to green pair, coupled to brown pair connected to device and it worked fine, in essence going over 4000' of copper. BTW my employer at that time had to part with $100 as he bet this would not work. Of course I tested it prior.....
    The issue with long IR runs is not voltage drop as it would be with a long extension cord and a power tool. The current drawn by the LED is only in the area of 5-20 milliamps. The distance issue is from capacitance which causes the square wave corners of the data to round. Given that Ethernet over twisted pair cable is rated at 100 meters and Ethernet's data rate is MUCH higher than IR, I would guess that you could go well over 100 meters with IR.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    bano wrote: »
    Of course I tested it prior.....
    That's not right! :)
    It is NOT a good idea to parallel the pairs with Cat5. I have seen people tie together all of the solids for one conductor and the stripes for a second conductor. The pairs have different twist rates which essentially make the pairs different lengths. While this is fine for DC, high frequency signals can arrive at their destination several different times. The effect is more pronounced as the cable length increases.