Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Axcent3 Program Port over TCP/IP

hi all,

ok, am needing to support a Axcess system remotely. Has anyone ever used a serial-to-ethernet device server (e.g. MOXA NPORT 5100A), to connect to an AMX serial program port via TCP/IP? Want to check this option out before I actually recommend getting a unit and testing it over VPN.

Regards,
Brian

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    fongslb wrote: »
    hi all,

ok, am needing to support a Axcess system remotely. Has anyone ever used a serial-to-ethernet device server (e.g. MOXA NPORT 5100A), to connect to an AMX serial program port via TCP/IP? Want to check this option out before I actually recommend getting a unit and testing it over VPN.

Regards,
    Brian
    I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I've often done similar devices, just not an Accect3.
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    You would think that if it's just sending rs232 crap back and forth that it would work and maybe it will, but I tried it one time with the site player telnet box and couldn't get it to work. It appeared to me that there was some time-sensitive communications going on between OpenAxcess and the master, but I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.
  • Options
    jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    I've had issues trying to talk to Polycom Vortex boxes over serial-to-IP as well... I assume it's related to timing, or timeouts being too short for a 500-mile serial cable. :)
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    fongslb wrote: »

I have done exactly that with a Moxa N-Port (don't remember the model) and it worked just fine. There was a piece of software that needed to be installed in the PC to create a virtual comm port because studio will not accept a TCP/IP connection for an Axcess master.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    In most serial servers there's the ability to control when the buffer transmits its contents and typical I choose to transmit upon receipt of the delimiter, usually $0D or $0D,$0A. They usually allow you to set both the incoming and outgoing delimiter. If you don't set up how this buffer handles the data then it usually sends the data based on some default timing scenario which could possibly cause strings to be broken up into multiple transmits and this may be the cause of the percieved timing issue.

Of course if you're end device is 500 miles away there may be other timing issues beyond your control. :)
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    Hedberg wrote: »
    [...] tried it one time with the [insert box here] and couldn't get it to work. It appeared to me that there was some time-sensitive communications going on between OpenAxcess and the master, but I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

+1

Plus some stuff to make the message long enough.
  • Options
    fongslbfongslb Posts: 30
    Thanks TurnipTruck, I have a bit more confidence to put in a MOXA n-port now.