Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Netlinx Duet v4x firmware

Has anyone done this firmware update yet? Should I be worried about doing it to an existing job?

Comments

• Options
    troberts wrote: »
    Has anyone done this firmware update yet? Should I be worried about doing it to an existing job?

Yes. Yes.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    icraigie wrote: »
    Yes. Yes.
    As always with new main release of any software (whatever it is, AMX or others), always wait few months to be sure it's efficient and all main issues are corrected ;) play with it only on your debug system at office not existing jobs at customers place !
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    vincen wrote: »
    As always with new main release of any software (whatever it is, AMX or others), always wait few months to be sure it's efficient...
    Funnily, I believe it's been in beta for 2.5 years. ;)
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    jjames wrote: »
    Funnily, I believe it's been in beta for 2.5 years. ;)
    Really ? I have not seen any beta firwamre of it published on AMX website !!
  • Options
    Naw, you wouldn't. When does AMX ever publish a beta?

I should note, I did not test it and do not have any internal or beta information on it; this is just from the "grape vine".
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    We did some short but extensive testing and found no issues with the 4.x firmware. It's in use is a couple of our systems without complaint. It's been a while since we did it, there were small differences, some were nice, some were just different. I recall nothing that makes it interesting.

I'd not suggest running to it, but neither would I remove it from a system that had it (new release Enova's, etc.) without observed cause.
  • Options
    Most of the issues we're seeing is in the Duet environment and most recently on the secure sockets (ssh, https).

Using channels on device 0 and LOCAL_VAR prompted changes in some older code but on the Netlinx side things seem to be OK.
  • Options
    icraigie wrote: »
    Using channels on device 0 and LOCAL_VAR prompted changes in some older code but on the Netlinx side things seem to be OK.

Would you mind sharing an example of what you had change?
  • Options
    the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I used it one one job where the DGX came preloaded with 4.x on the internal master.

I didn't run into anything that caused any problems or made me change anything in code. Although the DGX was only doing Vantage, Power Controller, and KScape control with the bulk of the system being run on an NI-3101. M2M worked without issue.
  • Options
    trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    I just updated about 8 existing processors with v4 master firmware and the only issue I had was with a Lutron Netlinx (non-duet) module. I can't pinpoint where or why the issue, but occasionally the processor would not send the string out of the port for about 10 seconds after I sent the command to the module.
    I also had some issues with controlling some IP cameras (strings were being held back from getting sent or not sent at all) I rolled firmware back to 3.60 and all is fine again.
    Other than those two problems, all is well. I am running KScape modules, HAI modules, M2M communications, and controlling a few other subsystems using my own code (Aprilalire, TVs, Receivers, Pentair pool) without any issue.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Going to try on my 3101 at home. I'll let you know what happens!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    sonnysonny Posts: 208
    The java framework/JVM being used has changed, along with the JDK version. Getting this more up to date is nice, however from what I can tell, the "new" framework being used is obsolete, and has been for a while. Cafe Duet hasn't been updated yet for external users, it is still referencing the old libraries. Microedition io libraries aren't included, so be careful with any IP-based modules. I've got an inquiry open trying to find out when Cafe Duet will be updated.
  • Options
    After using the official release for awhile it seems as stable as the last rev3 version. I think all the issues seen in the earlier releases are cleared. Biggest issue now is the 64M memory requirement.