Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Lutron QS problems

Thought I would try here as many of us also program lighting systems as well.

Anyone out there doing QS? I am in the process of getting one up and running. I can connect to the processor and "activate" it but when I go to activate devices or load the program I get an error saying the processor cannot be found. I can also connect using the QS IP Config tool and can verify that all network settings on processor are correct.

Lutron tech support has been of no help, they say it is my computer.. I have all antivirus turned off and am connected directly to the processor. Have tried through a router/switch as well as directly to the processor.

Any other things to look at?

Comments

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    What are the network settings of the QS and your network card?
    Paul
  • Options
    cmacma Posts: 94
    Just standard IP stuff, processor fixed IP at 192.168.1.51, 255.255.255.0 subnet, my computer at .5 with same subnet.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Try downloading the latest QS software. If you already have the latest remove and download again.
  • Options
    OK, I have the absolute latest software.. 4.0.3
  • Options
    Figured it out today. The "system" address on the advanced network settings had been changed from the default 239.0... number that Lutron assigns it.
  • Options
    cma wrote: »
    Figured it out today. The "system" address on the advanced network settings had been changed from the default 239.0... number that Lutron assigns it.

Yeah that setting is bogus. I had the same issue and when I asked tech support what that setting was, they just told me not to touch it.

Unrelated, but I've had issues with activation seeing the main processors via WiFi on some jobs. I could ping the processor and log into the web interface, but the activation process wouldn't see it. Plug in Ethernet and it works....still haven't figured that one out, and activating a house full of dimmers sure is a pain when you're tethered to the rack. Tried a Windows 7 PC and my MacBook with fusion and win7 and got the same results.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Most of the wireless issues I've had stem from the WAP not passing or having trouble with broadcast traffic.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Makes sense. Seems to happen when we're using Cisco or Ruckus APs. I'll have to look for a broadcast setting somewhere. Thanks!
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 1
    Yeah that setting is bogus. I had the same issue and when I asked tech support what that setting was, they just told me not to touch it.

Unrelated, but I've had issues with activation seeing the main processors via WiFi on some jobs. I could ping the processor and log into the web interface, but the activation process wouldn't see it. Plug in Ethernet and it works....still haven't figured that one out, and activating a house full of dimmers sure is a pain when you're tethered to the rack. Tried a Windows 7 PC and my MacBook with fusion and win7 and got the same results.

I had the same problem. Try to turn off windows firewall. That was helpful to me...
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    QS (as did Illumination) seems to use a variant of Bonjour, even if you put a staic IP in the processor. So naturally, it inherits all the pitfalls of that. My biggest beef is that it *will not* connect across subnets, even if your network is designed to allow it. I used managed switches and subnet breakdowns as a matter of course, and it's really irritating to me that I can't program my lighting system without making a special connection for it or falling back to RS-232. Bonjour is fine as a discovery tool, but using it for the connection itself is a mistake.
  • Options
    milan wrote: »
    I had the same problem. Try to turn off windows firewall. That was helpful to me...

Definitely not a firewall issue. It works at some sites and not at others, and firewalls are always disabled.
  • Options
    The QS processors use multicast in a weird way. This causes issues with Cisco and Ruckus unless they are configured to handle multicast traffic. This was also combined with issues with the old QS software which would timeout when receiving certain messages from the QS processors. I found the latest software does not have this timeout issue.

Long story short: use a wired connection with firewall completely off.