Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Enova DGX questions

Just hoping to get real world experience answers. :)
Anyone know if CAT6 shielded is required for the "balun like" devices for this switcher?
Also when using the AVB-RX-DXLINK-HDMI is it recommnded to use an external power supply or is POE better?

Thank

Comments

• Take a look at these two resources:
    White paper on cabling suggestions:
    http://amx.com//assets/whitepapers/CablingforSuccesswithDXLink.WhitePaper.pdf

Quick Reference:
    http://amx.com/flash/literature/TipsforSuccessfulDXLinkCableDeployment.QuickReference/index.html

As for POE, the DXLink cards will power the transmitters and receivers. The DGX configurator will check the power consumption, but the newest power supply will cover around 40 DXLink devices and still provide full redundant power back up. As a test, I just tried 26 of the Decora transmitters and 26 receivers - and that seemed right at the limit. Understand that different devices have different power requirements, so the calculator is the best way to know.

http://amx.com/enova/dgx_config_tool/index.php?enclosure=16

If you did have a configuration that exceeded the power capabilities of the DGX, there are multiple power options for the DXLink devices ranging from local power (on most models) to POE injection devices.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    Real world experience = use shielded cable with shielded connectors. This grounds the chassis of the connected boxes relative to each other. We've had major issues with DXLink cards shutting down which is because the chassis ground of the various AMX boxes are sitting at different potentials to the frame according to AMX as the TX/RX boxes are not directly earthed. Since retrofitting earth straps to each of the DXLink boxes, the problem seems to have been resolved.

We've always used shielded cable with other vendors' HDBase-T equipment to be sure to be sure and never have any issues. It looks like it's good policy to do the same with AMX.
  • ColinColin Posts: 51
    I have deployed a 16 x 4 DGX with all DXLink TX & RX boxes all with POE and absolutely no issues. We used Unshielded Cat 6 but paid very careful and particular attention to bundling and bend radii. I also checked every line with a Fluke DTX1800 and the current thinking is to test it to 10Gb.

The one thing that did catch me was there is no Axlink port for pre-existing systems with G3 panels or Axlink devices.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I cannot tell you how many conversations I've had with my sales people over this. We generally do not, against all my advisement, use shielded CAT6. Usually, we can make it work, but not without issues and occasional dropouts on the HDCP handshake that are a royal pain to get back. I can't convince my sales poele that the shielding is the issue, or at least a contributor, and as much as I explain to them the added cost is more than made up by not having to service it later, the message just doesn't get through.

So, if you are the decision maker, use shielded. It will save you grief in the long run.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    Thank you for the replies...shielded it is.
    At least were I can. Unfortunately it is a retro and I am not 100% sure I can get shielded to the furthest rooms. Thanks for the Fluke recommendation, I think we'll need to get one, although maybe not the DTX1800, but something more in the $1,500 range :)
    troberts wrote: »
    At least were I can. Unfortunately it is a retro and I am not 100% sure I can get shielded to the furthest rooms. Thanks for the Fluke recommendation, I think we'll need to get one, although maybe not the DTX1800, but something more in the $1,500 range :)

Definitely don't trust those continuity type testers you can get at Home Depot. They'll tell you if you crimped the ends on right, but that doesn't mean it will work and work properly. Another big fight I am always having ... guys swearing it tested OK and all they used was a continuity tester.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506

Just to expand on my previous comments, we have deployed Enova systems on sites with unshielded infrastructure cabling which are operating just fine as well. I believe the latest hardware revision Enova cards have been modified to better deal with reliability where unshielded cabling is used. Odds are you'll be okay, but <$100 bucks extra per drum of shielded cable seems a small price to pay to avoid the potential for the headaches we have run into. There are other obvious benefits to using shielded cabling too aside from providing a common earth via the drain wire.

If you do go down the shielded route, make sure you spend the time and find matched Cat6A plugs and sockets. Shielded is much thicker cable than unshielded and the OD of the insulation on individual conductors also seems to be thicker in most cases. This is an important consideration if you're planning on fitting off directly to RJ45 plugs, most of which have a fairly small cable entry and don't work well with shielded cable.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    Thanks for the continued tips....definitely will be getting CAT6A ends for shielded cable and a non Home Depot tester, I have had similar stories with HD bought meters.
    What about programming, I know there is a master in the DGX, but does that master require a program or is there some prebuilt program in it when it arrives from AMX that I need to interface to? I'll be going to training next month on this product, but I am trying to get as much info and understanding prior to training.
  • rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Definitely don't trust those continuity type testers you can get at Home Depot. They'll tell you if you crimped the ends on right, but that doesn't mean it will work and work properly. Another big fight I am always having ... guys swearing it tested OK and all they used was a continuity tester.

Yeah, I'm really trying to get the company to shell out for a cable certifier. I'd love to be able to short circuit the endless questions about the cabling from everyone's tech support. And also to prove to the install techs that just because the continuity tester says it's ok doesn't mean it's ok.
    Thanks for the continued tips....definitely will be getting CAT6A ends for shielded cable and a non Home Depot tester, I have had similar stories with HD bought meters.
    What about programming, I know there is a master in the DGX, but does that master require a program or is there some prebuilt program in it when it arrives from AMX that I need to interface to? I'll be going to training next month on this product, but I am trying to get as much info and understanding prior to training.

It's a standard NIX100 class master, and there is no programming in it unless you put it there. The Enova chassis appears as device 5002 on it's system, and you can use send commands to perform operations directly in the Enova. In my DGX systems, I make that my main master and run the whole job on it, and treat the Enova device like a separate switch that I am talking to with send_command rather than a serial port.