Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

amx.com/ip.asp with new website rollout

Hoping someone at Harman will read this and be able to provide an answer, but since the new website, amx.com/ip.asp no longer functions as it used to. I wonder if this may be something they'll reinstate? I understand that it's still available via trade.amx.com/ip.asp, and that the original URL redirects to it via 301, but I think most NetLinx code that uses it probably it's written to deal with redirects. I personally don't rely on it a lot, but I know that it was preached in some classes many years ago as a reliable source that would be safe to use, so it could affect some folks.

Comments

• Is there a situation where the redirect isn't acceptable?
  • matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    For a very simply coded "client" that's performing a basic GET, it might not follow a redirect and wind up with the following. But then again, it might be fine. I noticed it earlier today when using curl for a quick IP check, but maybe it's fine from NetLinx and that's all that really matters. I just noticed the change and thought worth mentioning as it could prove to be a pain point for someone out there.
    <html>
    <head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx/1.10.1</center>
    </body>
    </html>

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    It just worked for me. ??? There is a redirect on it now of http://trade.amx.com/ip.asp but typing in amx.com/ip.asp did work for me.
  • matt95gsr wrote: »
    but maybe it's fine from NetLinx and that's all that really matters.

That's what I meant. Netlinx should handle the redirect fine.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    zack.boyd wrote: »

That's what I meant. Netlinx should handle the redirect fine.
    through code the old version no longer works and what is returned is the html earlier posted. changing to the new trade.amx.com url old code will work the way it used to. It just seems that for something so easy to keep as it existed for ?? a long time it should have been left alone so it didn't break everyone's code that used it.

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vining wrote: »
    through code the old version no longer works and what is returned is the html earlier posted. changing to the new trade.amx.com url old code will work the way it used to. It just seems that for something so easy to keep as it existed for ?? a long time it should have been left alone so it didn't break everyone's code that used it.

This may well be something a bit more esoteric and kludgey in that by definition, the proper return for a redirect should look nothing at all different to the client side. HTML 5 even still calls for no change in redirect headers. The whole point is to cut down on the chatter and clutter of the possible tens or even hundreds of hops that can occur to get from point A to B. But, that's the great thing about standards: there are so many to choose from.