Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Volume Run-Away

Hi

Another problem,

I have a customer whose system has lost control about 3-4 time now,

He reports that when turning the volume up from the MVP-8400 with one button push the volume runs away until max, nearly blowing his speakers!

Could this be a wireless issue, the amps are controlled by IR, so i assume that it must be a programming error.

This does not happen often but i would like to resolve it as it is off putting when you lose control oif something like volume,

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Ross Wylie

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    You're right - this does sound like a programming error.

Without seeing your code, it might be difficult for anyone here to help you.
    But, given that you're controlling your amp with IR, you should check to make sure you're PULSEing the channel and not turning it ON. If you are, check your pulse time. Look at the front of your master to make sure the volume up code isn't being sent longer than you intend.
    rosswylie wrote:
    Hi

Another problem,

I have a customer whose system has lost control about 3-4 time now,

He reports that when turning the volume up from the MVP-8400 with one button push the volume runs away until max, nearly blowing his speakers!

Could this be a wireless issue, the amps are controlled by IR, so i assume that it must be a programming error.

This does not happen often but i would like to resolve it as it is off putting when you lose control oif something like volume,

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Ross Wylie
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It may be (1) the button is sticking (are you using a soft button, or external?) or (2) the controller is getting the PUSH, but not the RELEASE.

If it's #2, your only choice is improve the signal to the touch panel. You might be able to cut back incidents of it by changing from a PUSH/RELEASE method or a TO method, and use the HOLD[xx], REPEAT handler instead. It still is going to need to see a release, but might keep the buildup on hte equipment end from getting too large by limiting how much goes out in a short time. Ask your customer if tapping the voume button a few times will stop it. If it ramps so quickly they don't have time, you may want to consider the REPEAT handler anyway, just to pace the volume ramping.
  • ColinColin Posts: 51
    MVP Panels

There was a small bug with the 7500 panel - possibly same as 8400 and AMX have released a firmware revision that fixed it - it didn't throw a release from the panel. I simply did a time out as a work around of say 3 seconds to ensure that this never happened again - my client was a Crematorium and the service - Hells Angels bikie - bugger back into hiding for me.
  • Volume control is much harder than it seems

No matter how reliable the hardware or the software it is vital to prevent volume ramping endlessly. What if the user left a book leaning on the touchpanel? So build in a timeout.
  • we use volume bargraphs a lot. recently i touched into the upper third, while the music was playing. i had a tinnitus for 2 days after this. then i placed an invisible button over a part of the bargraph, this way the volume can still be dragged up, but an accidental touch has no effect.
  • The code for the volume of the amps in this particular job is as follows:

BUTTON_EVENT[vdvMVP1,143]
    BUTTON_EVENT[vdvMVP2,143]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    MVP = BUTTON.INPUT.DEVICE.NUMBER-33130
    SEND_STRING dvDEBUG,"'Volume Muted in - ',ITOA(ROOM_SELECT[MVP])"
    SELECT
    {
    ACTIVE(ROOM_SELECT[MVP] = KITCHEN_SEL) : TO[dvAMP_KITCHEN,26]
    ACTIVE(ROOM_SELECT[MVP] = BATHROOM_SEL) : TO[dvAMP_BathRoom,26]
    ACTIVE(ROOM_SELECT[MVP] = LIVING_SEL) : TO[dvAMP_Living,26]
    ACTIVE(ROOM_SELECT[MVP] = LOUNGE_SEL) : TO[dvAMP_LOUNGE,26]
    ACTIVE(ROOM_SELECT[MVP] = GARDEN_SEL) : TO[dvAMP_GARDEN,26]
    ACTIVE(ROOM_SELECT[MVP] = BEDROOM_SEL) : TO[dvAMP_BedRoom,26]
    }
    }
    }
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    the TO[] looks good, it only pulses the IR code for as long as the button is held. Then it can indeed be a problem of firmware.