Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Serial Control of DirecTV H20

Greetings,

The newer HD receivers from DirecTV no longer have that wonderful "Low Speed Data" jack on them. I really enjoyed being able to get all kinds of feedback from the jack.

The new H20s have a USB port, but I don't know how it could be used for serial control.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Protocol should be the same, but use a serial-usb converter. From what I've heard, it should still work. Post back and let us know.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    jjames wrote:
    .... but use a serial-usb converter.

Could someone recommend such a device? I didn't know they existed for this type of application. Don't USB connections require existance within a Windows machine?

Thank you.
  • Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    The protocal IS the same, However only 3 usb-to-serial adapters will work(currently). They are:

Bafo BF-810
    Aten uc-232a
    IOGEAR GUC232A (recomended)

The baud rate is 115200.

I have 2 h20s in a system using the iogear adapter at 115200 and it works just fine.

Paul
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I didn?t know we could interface with this device. Are you guys using the protocol that?s attached? How well does the TextDisplay command work? I read somewhere that someone was only able to display 13 characters even though the protocol seems to support up to 255 characters. Where does the OSD show up? Can you position or format the text? I wish I had one to experiment with right now. I can think of all sorts of cool possibilities?
    Don't USB connections require existance within a Windows machine?
    Thank goodness that?s not true. :)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The scuttlebutt that I have heard that is since DirecTV is phasing out Tivo support in favor of their own DVR control, they don't want external boxes to be able to control their receivers. I'm not banking on anything working for long.
  • Options
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    I didn?t know we could interface with this device. Are you guys using the protocol that?s attached? How well does the TextDisplay command work? I read somewhere that someone was only able to display 13 characters even though the protocol seems to support up to 255 characters. Where does the OSD show up? Can you position or format the text? I wish I had one to experiment with right now. I can think of all sorts of cool possibilities?

Yes that is the protocal that I am using, but i have never used the Show Text Command, so i can't answer your question. Sorry.

Paul
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    DirecTV is supposed to be rolling out a higher end receiver line targeted at home theaters and custom installers in Q3 or Q4 as I recall. The DirecTV person I was speaking with said that there might even be enhanced control options.

Jeff
  • Options
    The protocol guide states that the baud rate with the USB data ports is 155200 baud. Is this speed available from anything besides Netlinx-generation masters? It seems like an odd speed?
  • Options
    The protocol guide states that the baud rate with the USB data ports is 155200 baud. Is this speed available from anything besides Netlinx-generation masters? It seems like an odd speed?

My guess is a typo. It is probably supposed to be 115200 baud, since USB 1.0 runs at 1.5MB/sec and USB 2.0 runs at 60MB/sec.

But, we all know what assuming does.... it makes an A$$ out of you and you.... or something like that ;)

Jeff
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    DHawthorne wrote:
    The scuttlebutt that I have heard that is since DirecTV is phasing out Tivo support in favor of their own DVR control, they don't want external boxes to be able to control their receivers. I'm not banking on anything working for long.
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    DirecTV is supposed to be rolling out a higher end receiver line targeted at home theaters and custom installers in Q3 or Q4 as I recall. The DirecTV person I was speaking with said that there might even be enhanced control options.
    Well those two hearsays are certainly 180 degrees out of phase. If I were I betting man I?d put my money on DirecTV maintaining or increasing intelligence vs. performing a lobotomy. I can?t imagine what DirecTV would gain by the latter. But then again, stranger things have happened?

So no one has tried sending text to the OSD, eh?
  • Options
    There is an article somewhere buried in the directv site, but here is some info I found on a quick google search.
    El Segundo, CA -- DIRECTV, Inc., will unveil a robust display of original programming, high-definition (HD) services and advanced products at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Throughout 2006, DIRECTV will roll out new products, including DIRECTV 2Go, a new service for portable media players, a new HD DVR and a professional home theatre system, as well as expand many of its advanced products and services, including HD local broadcasts and new on-demand features. DIRECTV customers will also have access to original programming - including a new channel dedicated to original entertainment- developed exclusively for DIRECTV customers.

DIRECTV Pro

DIRECTV Pro is for the true technophile and home theater enthusiast. It combines the latest HD and DVR technologies, and differs from all other DTV products as it is designed to mount in a 19-inch rack, which is common in the home theater, custom installation market. Additionally, the Pro Home Theater has new features such as a front panel, HD LCD display, front panel transport controls, and additional control ports on the front and back. DIRECTV plans to launch the DIRECTV Pro at the end of 2006.

Now, we just have to hope that their definition of control ports matches with ours :)

Jeff

P.S.
    Here is the whole article: http://www.hometechnews.com/info/2006/01/04/122600.html
  • Options
    So if it is 115,200 or 155,200 baud, is there any other AMX devices besides the Netlinx generation masters that tun at these speeds?
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Axcent3/PRO, AXC-232++, AXB-232++.

Looks like the Axcent2's ports topped out at 38.4, so you'd be outta luck there - unless you attached an AXB-232++.

- Chip
  • Options
    The Axcent 3 manual states maximun baud rate at 115,000, not 115,200.

Not to worry?

Whats 200 baud among friends?
  • Options
    cwpartridgecwpartridge Posts: 120
    The maximum baud rate of the Axcent3 serial ports is 115200. The manual probably states 115k as part of the 'SET BAUD' SEND_COMMAND, but that is short for 115200.
  • Options
    The baud rate is 115,200 for some newer DirecTV receivers. Attached is a more recently revised protocol document as well as an addendum to it.

There has not yet been a document officially released for the H20.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    There has not yet been a document officially released for the H20.
    bump. Has anyone controlled an H20 via RS232 yet? We've put in a couple of them but not in AMX systems, haven't gotten a chance yet :-|
  • Options
    Yes I have gotten control of the H20. Not all of the commands in the document work, but the basics do. The remote key entry functions all work as described and should be all that is necessary for most installations. I have the unit connected to a slaved Axcent 3 off a Netlinx master via a Bafo BF810?? USB to serial adapter. Baud rate is indeed 115,200.
    SET_BAUD 115,200,N,8,1

People often forget the comma in 115,200... it must be there!
  • Options
    I also have gotten the serial control of the H20 to work. The remote commands work just fine. The current channel feedback also works very well.

Paul
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    TurnipTruck wrote:
    People often forget the comma in 115,200... it must be there!

Are you sure about that? I just coincidentally changed my HomeWorks to 115,200 after installing an IP/232 link (old processor) and tried that with the comma and it didn't work. Remove the comma and it worked perfect. Seems to me those strings are comma delimited and the Netlinxs processor would think the 200 was the next value in the string and not a continuation of the baud rate.
  • Options
    vining wrote:
    TurnipTruck wrote:

Are you sure about that? I just coincidentally changed my HomeWorks to 115,200 after installing an IP/232 link (old processor) and tried that with the comma and it didn't work. Remove the comma and it worked perfect. Seems to me those strings are comma delimited and the Netlinxs processor would think the 200 was the next value in the string and not a continuation of the baud rate.

I have the H20 connected to an Axcent 3 serial port as I described in my post. The Axcent 3 absolutely wants the comma. I went into notifications for the device and tried it both with and without the comma followed by GET_BAUDs and it only changes with the comma.
  • Options
    Great. One more question. Does this document work for the H10-250? I would assume since it works for the H10 and H20, that it does, but I just want to see if anyone has actually tried it with that unit.

I'm considering using this and I want to know that someone else has done it before I order the adapters and RS232 cards I'll need. A lot of our clients have H10-250s.
  • Options
    The remote key entry commands work with all receivers. Some receivers work at 9600 baud and/or use an RJ9 (handset) jack for comm.
  • Options
    mpullin wrote:
    Great. One more question. Does this document work for the H10-250? I would assume since it works for the H10 and H20, that it does, but I just want to see if anyone has actually tried it with that unit.

I'm considering using this and I want to know that someone else has done it before I order the adapters and RS232 cards I'll need. A lot of our clients have H10-250s.

Do you mean the HR10-250 Directv TiVo ? If so then no, the TiVo units do not have any form of serial control, only IR. The HR10-250 is a TiVo unit and the box is made by TiVo/Hughes and sold by Directv. TiVo as never installed any form a 2-way control (that I know of) into any of their boxes. Only the new Directv(non-TiVo) units have this serial/USB control.

Also, I have tried these commands on a HR20-700 Directv HD DVR (non-TiVo) and the commands do not work. Last I heard from the Directv Reps the RS-232 will be added to the HR20-700 early next year. No changes to the HR10-250 are planned at the moment.

I wish the HR10-250 did have serial control. I have never found any evidence of control and the TiVo Rep at the CEDIA show told me that RS-232/IP control was low on their todo list.

I hope this helps.
    Paul
  • Options
    pauld wrote:
    Do you mean the HR10-250 Directv TiVo ? If so then no, the TiVo units do not have any form of serial control, only IR. The HR10-250 is a TiVo unit and the box is made by TiVo/Hughes and sold by Directv. TiVo as never installed any form a 2-way control (that I know of) into any of their boxes. Only the new Directv(non-TiVo) units have this serial/USB control.

Wow, my heart sunk when I read this post, because we have a client with several HR10-250s. But I suppose it's better to find out now than after we order the adapters and the extra RS232 card. Thanks.
  • Options
    ekeppelekeppel Posts: 37
    Another USB to Serial adapter that works...

I thought I would mention that we have been using the Hawking Technologies HUC232S USB to Serial Converter with the DirecTV H20 and it also works fine, so I'm sure there are other models of converters that work also, not just the three mentioned at the outset.

Eric
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone written a good solid module or code block that they wouldn't mind sharing for this? Also, any problems that you guys have found that I should watch out for on these?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm trying to make this work myself--with the H20. With Eric, Turnip and Paul saying it works, I wonder what I'm missing! Are you guys using standard pinout 2,3,5? Holding your nose just right when plugging in the USB?

I'm using the IO Gear GUC232A and NI700 at 9600,n,8,1. (115,200 yields no RX)

When sending commands, I do get respsonses from the STB, but the STB doesn't actually do anything. For example:

Send "$FA,$81" //standby
    Receive F0,0 //unit stays on

Send "$FA,$82" //active (on)
    Receive F0,0 //no change to unit status

Send "FA,$87" //get current channel
    Receive F0,6 //same rx no matter what channel it's on
  • Options
    I do remember something like this, but at the time I was using a different USB adapter. The directv custom support suggested switching to the IOGear USB adapter, when I switched everything started working at 115,200 baud. If you want, send Directv a email at: custominstallsupport@directv.com, and they will answer in a day or 2.

Otherwise try this, unplug the USB adapter and then unplug the Power, then plug the power in, then when you have video, plug the USB adapter back in. I have only had to do this the first time I use a reciever, after the reciever sees the USB adapter everything seems work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Pauld
  • Options
    AM93AM93 Posts: 10
    H20 does work..

It all works. I have multiple installed. I use the IOGear GUC232A USB adaptor. Set the Baud for 115,200. Here's all the cmds. You need the CR on the status cmds. I don't think the tuning string (tune_chan cmd) worked on the H20 so I use the individual number commands and send them one at a time. It all runs thru a cmd queue at 500ms and all seems happy
    I also query for the channel every 3 secs or so and that works fine. I'm pretty sure I tested all these. Use at your own risk.
    Merry Chwanzaka.