Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Thermostats?

Anyone have a favorite thermostat for AMX? The only ones I have worked with are Aprilaire. Curious what else is out there. AprilAire is fine but would like one that stores programming on the thermostat and is just controlled/updated by AMX as opposed to relying on it fully.

I know Vantage showed some new ones but I can't find any info on them (not shipping yet, I know that much).

Curt

Comments

• youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    HAI's thermostats are economical but require HAI system

Depending on the number of stats and the other requirements on the job, it might fit the bill even with having to add on an Omni controller.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    You can control the HAI thermostats directly, but you have to write the code from the HAI thermostat protocol. I don't like the HAI thermostats because of how they interpret the temp reading. For what it's worth I use the AprilAire thermostats.
  • Seems I should stick with AprilAire. Again, I just wish you could program the thermostat locally is all.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I have been looking into this topic lately as well.

I would really like to offer a programmable thermostat that I can monitor and allow basic controls from the AMX touch panel.

The two options I have come up with are the HAI thermostat and the Proliphix IP thermostats.

The HAI look kind of cheap, but allow scheduled programming from the front panel. They communicate over a 232 bus and the protocol looks pretty good and not too tough, but the thermostat does not initiate messages so you must keep polling for data.

http://www.worthingtonsolutions.com/Manuals/HAI/M01044%20HAI%20Omnistat%20Serial%20Protocol%20r4-98C.pdf

The Proliphix Thermostats have a very nice LCD screen and look good overall, but they require the homeowner to setup the schedule and program the thermostat from their computer, not from the thermostat directly.

The IP protocol looks like everything I need can be done with basic HTTP: command lines and responses. The protocol looks easy for these as well.

http://www.proliphix.com/files/PDP_API_R1_8.pdf

The question:
    Has anyone used either of these thermostats enough to comment on their integration and reliability? Oh yeah, I guess I should also ask how they work as thermostats (why people care about that part I don't know).

Thanks for the thoughts.

-Pete
    In-Focus Systems, Minneapolis MN
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    GSLogic wrote:
    You can control the HAI thermostats directly, but you have to write the code from the HAI thermostat protocol. I don't like the HAI thermostats because of how they interpret the temp reading. For what it's worth I use the AprilAire thermostats.

I am curious what you were referring to with the comment about how the HAI thermostats interpret the temperature because I think these could be very viable, inexpensive thermostats to use with AMX.

If you were referring the fact that the temperature is converted to a digit 0-255 (Omni Format), I don't think that is a big issue. It can be fixed with some simple math.

i.e.
    Current Temp in Celsius = (0.5 * Omnitemp)-40
    Current Temp in Fahrenheit = 32 + (1.8 * (0.5 * OmniTemp - 40))
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    the8thst wrote:
    I am curious what you were referring to with the comment about how the HAI thermostats interpret the temperature because I think these could be very viable, inexpensive thermostats to use with AMX.
    QUOTE]

I've used the formula for HAI temp readings before but 99% of the people don't want to see there temp display in decimal format. If you try to converting 68 degrees you'll get two different levels 68.0 and 68.9 and if you always round up you get in trouble 72.5 will go to 73 / 73 .4 will go to 74 / 74.3 will go to 75 and before you know it, you're off a couple degrees.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    I have used the Proliphix thermostats and have found them to be reliable to this point, several projects, around 12 months installed. I've written a Duet driver for it that works well, although I've got to add some scheduling features. I'll post it when done...
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    TrikinCurt wrote:
    Anyone have a favorite thermostat for AMX? The only ones I have worked with are Aprilaire. Curious what else is out there. AprilAire is fine but would like one that stores programming on the thermostat and is just controlled/updated by AMX as opposed to relying on it fully.

I know Vantage showed some new ones but I can't find any info on them (not shipping yet, I know that much).

Curt

I just checked the manual for the VST and it shows that can be controlled locally; isn't that right?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    flcusat wrote:
    I just checked the manual for the VST and it shows that can be controlled locally; isn't that right?

Yes, the VST's are a typical normal T-Stat but you can only set the temperature not run a set back program which is what I believe TrikinCurt was reffering to.
    I see. Thanks.
  • Has anyone written a module yet that will allow the client to set temp schedules on thier AMX stats? I have a client that is absolutely demanding this feature and the programmer we use has not had the time to attempt write this module. If someone has written one I would be happy to discuss licensing the source code from you. Also, if anyone can give me some pricing on the Proliphix t-stats I would appreciate it.
  • spike2txspike2tx Posts: 11
    proliphix stats

These stats are 100 times better than anything else on the market. They are commercial grade units with nearly every feature required by by residential hvac contractors. I can't speak for the commercial side because we no longer do those projects. We have written a module for the tstats that works great. These things are very stable sitting on a network, they don't drop off 422 setups like the April Aires. Scheduling is done very easily via THE BUILT IN WEB INTERFACE AND ALSO REMOTELY THRU THEIR ADMIN SITE. sorry bout the caps...
    Schedules should be set and forget anyways otherwise the client should just manually set temps via a tp interface and forget scheduling.
    spike2tx wrote:
    These stats are 100 times better than anything else on the market. They are commercial grade units with nearly every feature required by by residential hvac contractors. I can't speak for the commercial side because we no longer do those projects. We have written a module for the tstats that works great. These things are very stable sitting on a network, they don't drop off 422 setups like the April Aires. Scheduling is done very easily via THE BUILT IN WEB INTERFACE AND ALSO REMOTELY THRU THEIR ADMIN SITE. sorry bout the caps...
    Schedules should be set and forget anyways otherwise the client should just manually set temps via a tp interface and forget scheduling.

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Proliphix. Is that right?