Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Updating AXT-CA10 firmware

Hello,

I'm trying to update an AXT-CA10 panel to the latest firmware. Panel is currently at v3.50b. Board is FG950, serial 950-30-xxxx.

Problem: Using Netlinx Studio, when I select Firmware Transfers, Send to Axcess Device, Query for devices, my devices show up fine until I click on the firmware file I downloaded (952d512m.tsk). Once I click it, all of the devices in the left-hand "device" pane disappear.

Any ideas?

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    From your serial number it looks it's a rev 2 CA10 so you should use that firmware http://www.amx.com/techcenter/downloadConfirm.asp?fn=/assets/firmwareFiles/952d512m.tsk and perhaps boot firmware http://www.amx.com/techcenter/downloadConfirm.asp?fn=/assets/firmwareFiles/952Bt200.tsk if it's not up to date. Be warned that these firmwares are destructive so be sure to get a copy of touch panel file before upgrade ;)

Hope it helps ;)

Vinc
  • Vinc?n,

Thank you for the reply. Actually, those are the exact firmware files I've been trying to use. No luck... Is Netlinx Studio incorrectly deciding there are no devices on the bus appropriate for the selected firmware files?
    I don't think NS fools you on that but if you want to be sure you can try that: connect your CA10 to an old Axcess master (Axcent, Axcent2, Axcent3) and use Softroom to do the firmware upgrade (it's a dos tool that was used in old Axcess time).

Something you can check also is serial indicated in Setup of panel, as it has been perhaps repaired and board exchanged, and it could explain issues for upgrade ;)

Vinc
  • Another way could be to transfer the firmware diretly to the by Programming cable. In this case, the panel's device address is always 1.
  • Thank you both for your assistance. Actually, the panel firmware & serial info I quoted was from the panel's setup page. I never rely on the sticker.

I'll try Softrom and/or a direct RS-232 connection and see if that helps. I was mainly concerned that doing so could break the panel. I once wrote an incorrect boot rom to an AXB-TMC with Softrom and rendered the device useless, so I was thinking Netlinx could be employing some sort of protection mechanism to prevent me from writing firmware to a panel I shouldn't. I'd hate to screw up the panel.
    I'll try Softrom and/or a direct RS-232 connection and see if that helps. I was mainly concerned that doing so could break the panel. I once wrote an incorrect boot rom to an AXB-TMC with Softrom and rendered the device useless, so I was thinking Netlinx could be employing some sort of protection mechanism to prevent me from writing firmware to a panel I shouldn't. I'd hate to screw up the panel.

Softrom as NetLinx Studio are supposed to prevent download of firmware or boot firmware in wrong device. The most bad thing is to reload a boot firmware and that it crashes because in that case your device is virtually dead. If it's only main firmware, most of time you can restart download of firmware ;)

Vinc
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I have a CV10 and am having the same problem.. I tried every version of the firmware and was unable to get any of them to work. I used both a serial connection and through an axcess controller using netlinx studio. I have c3.50bV and the serial is 950-40-0526. I can't remember what rev the board is though and dont have a chance to open it up right now.. either way, I have tried updating it with every version available under the cv10 and nothing will load.

Ryan
  • I seem to recall a guru at AMX tech support saying that attempting to use anything but SoftROM on devices like these is asking for nothing but trouble.

- Chip
  • Success! Updating the panel with Softrom via direct RS232 connection worked great.

Ryan - Use a null modem cable between your serial port and the port on the touchpanel, then update with Softrom. I updated the firmware first, then the boot firmware second. After both were done I had to completely power down the panel & power it back up before it "recognized" the new firmware. Panel took a good 3 seconds to come back after I plugged it in; scared me for a moment, but come back it did and it's fully updated now.

Thanks to all for the assistance! I'll stick with Softrom when updating these older devices from now on.
    Cool to hear that :D

Vinc
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    Ok, I will try using softrom next time I get the chance to. Thanks, Ryan