Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

ISDN Router

Hi All,

I want to connected to a Netlinx system onsite from my office. The site has ISDN for its codec so i got a Cisco 801 ISDN router to go on to our own network onsite.

Has anyone every try to configer one of these. I have been dialing in to it and it connects but i cant see the netlinx at that end.The Cisco software is asking for a IP address for the ISDN IP network then a IP address for the local IP network which is the one on the Netlinx network.

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    How are you connecting to the onsite router? Telnet or webserver? How are you looking for the master onsite? In the routers DHCP or Static tables or are you trying to connect through NS2, Telnet or the Master's Webserver?

Are you set up for port forwarding or are you tunneling in by VPN? You're connecting the the router so I assume it either has a static public IP or you have a dynamic DNS account set up for it or do you just know its current assigned dynamic public IP.
  • Cameron DCameron D Posts: 31
    Hi Vav,

I am dialing to the router from a ISDN card in my laptop and then trying to telnet to it or from NS2.

There is no setup for port forwarding i have tryed VPN as well.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't know the Cisco routers well, but I can tell you if there is no port forwarding, you must use VPN. One particular about VPN: the IP subnet your client computer is on cannot be the same as the subnet of your host. I don't mean the subnet mask, I mean the actual subnet. For example, if your client computer has an IP address of 192.168.0.xxx, the host network cannot also have an IP address of 192.168.0.xxx. Almost all routers default to 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx, so if you haven't changed anything, you will likely have conflicts. I made my office network 192.168.10.xxx, just to be able to VPN to remote networks without worrying about the subnet. If you can make a VPN connection, but still can't access the NetLinx, this is most likely your problem.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote:
    If you can make a VPN connection, but still can't access the NetLinx, this is most likely your problem.
    You shouldn't be able to establish a VPN connection if your private LAN IPs are the same or if one is with in the host range of the others LAN IP.

I generally do the same as Dave but the opposite. I keep my LAN IP in the default 192.168.1.1 (Linksys) range but subnetted which is irrelevant and my clients IPs at something like 192.168.10.1. This works good for me but if you're not setting up the clients network Dave's method works best. Actually Dave's approach is probably better regardless for a host of reasons.