Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Extron IP Link

Hi,

I am interested in using some extron iplink rs232 controllers, I see there is a module that can be used with RMS but is it possible to connect to these controllers without using RMS?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Yes, you can communicate with the IPL T Sn through its web server, its Telnet server or by connecting as an IP Client to port 200n where n is the number of the serial port on the IPL T device. When connected to port 200n, anything sent to the device goes right out the port and anything received is returned without modification to the IP Client. Extron's website has manuals available for most all their equipment including the IPL T S Series devices.
  • Options
    hodeyphodeyp Posts: 104
    thanks for the answer!
  • Options
    matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    Just to add my $.02 after my testing this weekend involving an IPLink box slated for upcoming install. I actually used an IPL-T-SFI244, and was able to successfully control 2 serial devices via TCP 2001/2002, and control an IR device using the telnet server and the appropriate commands. As far as my testing, everything went off without a hitch, and it seems to be very reliable.
  • Options
    liviolowliviolow Posts: 48
    Hedberg wrote:
    Yes, you can communicate with the IPL T Sn through its web server, its Telnet server or by connecting as an IP Client to port 200n where n is the number of the serial port on the IPL T device. When connected to port 200n, anything sent to the device goes right out the port and anything received is returned without modification to the IP Client. Extron's website has manuals available for most all their equipment including the IPL T S Series devices.

Hi all,

Wanna seek your advise in controlling Extron Crosspoint Switcher via IP Link. Is there any module which I can use or can anyone give me some advise on doing this?
  • Options
    staticatticstaticattic Posts: 200
    liviolow wrote:
    Hi all,

Wanna seek your advise in controlling Extron Crosspoint Switcher via IP Link. Is there any module which I can use or can anyone give me some advise on doing this?
    I am communicating via IP to 2 of my Extron Crosspoints. In the DEFINE START section of your code, you need to have an ip_client_open statement. In the EVENTS section, I included in my DATA_EVENT for the switch, this section:
    DATA_EVENT[dvSWITCH]
    {
       OFFLINE:
       {
          IP_CLIENT_CLOSE (dvSWITCH.PORT)
          WAIT 5
          {
              IP_CLIENT_OPEN(dvSWITCH.PORT,'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx',23,1)
          } 
       }
    }

There should also be an ONLINE: section and if needed, an ONERROR: section. Depending on how you need the event handled, your ONLINE and ONERROR will be different than mine. I am a noob compared to most of you guys, so my way might not be the best way, but it works. I noticed with Extron switches, for some reason, they seem to drop comms after sitting there with no communications. That caused a problem when the user would then try to make a change on the switch. This OFFLINE portion is hanging up and then calling the switch again. I haven't had any problems anymore.

Concerning modules, I have never used one. I prefer to bang my code out the long way. With what most of my users are doing, I think it is just easier to program it as compared to modifying the module to meet their needs. Most of the time the modules have more stuff in them than what my users are trying to accomplish.