Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Trouble getting Caddx NX8E to work

Anyone used the NX8E module on inconcert before? Having trouble getting it to communicate with my unit - I think I configured everything right but getting no feedback. Just curious if anyone's had any experience with it..

Dan

Comments

• Options
    banobano Posts: 173
    dmurray14 wrote:
    Anyone used the NX8E module on inconcert before? Having trouble getting it to communicate with my unit - I think I configured everything right but getting no feedback. Just curious if anyone's had any experience with it..

Dan

Make sure you review the programming notes with regards to setting keypad values on the alarm system.

Good Luck
  • Options
    dmurray14dmurray14 Posts: 80
    bano wrote:
    Make sure you review the programming notes with regards to setting keypad values on the alarm system.

Good Luck

They're all set...
  • Options
    If you're using the Caddx P0003 cable you need to use a null modem adapter. You would think since they made the cable, they would have already crossed it over, but they didn't. You need the null modem adapter to use their DL900 software on a PC, or to interface it with an AMX master controller. If that doesn't work, let me know. I'll pull up the programming sheet and give you our NX8E programming configurations that work.

--John
  • Options
    If you're using the Caddx P0003 cable you need to use a null modem adapter. You would think since they made the cable, they would have already crossed it over, but they didn't. You need the null modem adapter to use their DL900 software on a PC, or to interface it with an AMX master controller. If that doesn't work, let me know. I'll pull up the programming sheet and give you our NX8E programming configurations that work.

--John

Thanks John

I tried with and without a null modem adapter. I actually made my own cable way back when. I had the NX8E hooked up to a Premise system. Just to test I reconnected it to that system and Premise was able to communicate with the unit fine, which tells me it is not my cable or my system. However when hooked up to my AMX system it doesn't seem to want to communicate. The module keeps timing out with "no response received." Pretty stumped...I'd love anything you could throw my way...
  • Options
    Any ideas guys, I'm stumped and I'd like to get this working..
  • Options
    NMarkRobertsNMarkRoberts Posts: 455
    dmurray14 wrote:
    Any ideas guys, I'm stumped and I'd like to get this working..

As always, start by controlling the box directly from your keyboard using HyperTerm. If that won't work then it's not the module's fault.
  • Options
    O.K., here are the settings from a current project:

Double check these for security and safety specific to your application.

Our original P0003 cable only has 3 wires attached to the header of the NX8e (I believe 2,3, and 5), so I would make sure you don't have anything extra attached.

If you're still stuck after using our settings, then I would recommend calling GE tech support. Those guys really are great and very knowledgeable about their product. They'll get you up and running pretty quickly with regard to connection and config.

Let us know if these settings work for you.

--John
  • Options
    Also, I would double check your settings for location 211. There module .doc seems to have one of the location descriptions mis-marked for segment 4 Position 7. That one is an important setting in terms of getting communication if I recall correctly.

--John
  • Options

Our original P0003 cable only has 3 wires attached to the header of the NX8e (I believe 2,3, and 5), so I would make sure you don't have anything extra attached.

If you're still stuck after using our settings, then I would recommend calling GE tech support. Those guys really are great and very knowledgeable about their product. They'll get you up and running pretty quickly with regard to connection and config.

--John

Thanks a lot John, much appreciated. If you don't mind me bothering you some more, do you know what settings you changed (if anything) in the module? Also, did you take the stuff from the _Main file and put it into your master program? I could not get it to compile any other way, I'm guessing that was the intended usage?

Thanks again,
    Dan
  • Options

--John

John,

You're awesome! I'm all up and running now. I think my problem was that I had it set to binary and not ASCII - that would be an issue! Again thanks for your help. Quite a helpful community here.

Now I'm working on figuring out why I have to enter a code to arm...
  • Options
    I just cut and pasted from the module file directly into my main.axs program. Some of the changes I recall making had to do with the nButtonArray in the _main.axs file. If you have more than 8 zones you'll need to add in status and bypass buttons to account for those zones. Beyond that the real changes I remember making were to the UI side of things to match our panels, changing the way the zone array startup values got defined, creating an additional array with zone names so that you could get status messages like "Maid's Quarters Enty Door - faulted" rather than 'Zone 63 - faulted', and creating nice layouts for the alarm functions.

Feedback is also an issue, because of the amount of traffic generated. With 192 zones on the NX8e, you've got motion sensors turning on and off as people and animals move around, doors and windows being opened and closed, just a whole host of stuff going on. I'm trying to slow the feedback down now because the excessive amount of feedback that the module generates causes the Master to crash or drop offline under certain conditions.

Also I'm currently trying to add some non supported buttons such as scroll up, and scroll down and I'm also trying to figure out how to put the faulted zones into a displayable text list rather than lighting up 192 buttons and having the user flip through 12 pages of zone names to see which ones are faulted.

Any luck yet with our alarm config. settings? I passed by another project today to pull another setup configuration for the NX8e. I'll review the settings and compare them to the first ones that I posted to see if they're different.

--John
  • Options
    I'm all up and running now.
    Glad to hear it!
    Now I'm working on figuring out why I have to enter a code to arm...

That's the quick arm feature - location 23 Segment 1 needs to be on to enable quick arming (arming without entering a code).

--John
  • Options
    Glad to hear it!

That's the quick arm feature - location 23 Segment 1 needs to be on to enable quick arming (arming without entering a code).

--John
    Thanks John, that did it!

Curious, is there an easy way to fire of an event based on a status change of a partition? For instance, I'd like to send off an email when the alarm is triggered. Is this easy to do or am I stuck rewriting the module?

Thanks again for all your help,
    Dan
  • Options
    You would need to use a DATA_EVENT in your UI module to parse the feedback from the comm module, or you could add your statements into the section where the data response is already being parsed and acted upon. It should be pretty easy and straightforward to do.

--John
  • Options
    You would need to use a DATA_EVENT in your UI module to parse the feedback from the comm module, or you could add your statements into the section where the data response is already being parsed and acted upon. It should be pretty easy and straightforward to do.

--John

Thanks John. Might someone be able to give me an example of what such a DATA_EVENT would look like? What would the trigger be?

Thanks again
    Dan