Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Multiple touch panels on same frequency

Can this be done? I have two panels (vpt cp) that operate on the same frequency but I'd like to have them run independent programs, how do I go about this?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    dmurray14 wrote:
    Can this be done? I have two panels (vpt cp) that operate on the same frequency but I'd like to have them run independent programs, how do I go about this?

Thanks,
    Dan
    I'm assuming you are only running one receiver. If there are two receivers, you can't do it, the receivers won't be able to tell which panel is which. You will wind up with each panel firing both sets of events. For two panels on the same receiver, just make sure the device numbers and channels don't overlap; it's that simple. Easiest is to use device 1 & 2 on the first, and 3 & 4 on the second ... if you need multiple devices at all. If even that is not an option, make sure different channels are defined on each, and you will still be OK. The program can be written like it's a single Viewpoint, and the device number or channel set is what will determine what you are controlling.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Unless you have the panel for one receiver use (for ex.) channels below 127, the other panel uses 127 and above - right?

- Chip

DHawthorne wrote:
    If there are two receivers, you can't do it, the receivers won't be able to tell which panel is which.
  • Options
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Unless you have the panel for one receiver use (for ex.) channels below 127, the other panel uses 127 and above - right?

- Chip
    Yes, I guess that would work, but it's pretty much the same thing as running them on the same receiver. The extra hardware would just be redundant.
  • Options
    dmurray14dmurray14 Posts: 80
    OK - you guys have me confused. Where do I set the channel? I know I can set the device, but I thought I was always handling events based on the address of the receiver. For instance my receiver address is 6001, so I'm looking for 6001:1:1 for the panel that corresponds to that receiver. I see what you mean by changing the device - I'd look for 6001:1:2 or similar, but how/where do I change the channel?

Thanks!

Dan
  • Options
    jwstuffjwstuff Posts: 11
    Channel set per button

Hey, I believe that they are saying to set the channel of the button being used. If I remember correctly (it's been a little while, sorry) you have the option of of 4 channels on the VP touch panels. So set all of the buttons for one system on button channels 1 & 2 with each having 255 addresses in each, and then set the buttons for the other system to 3 & 4. Please correct me if I am wrong or if this is not what you were saying. Thanks.
  • Options
    CIAJesse wrote:
    Hey, I believe that they are saying to set the channel of the button being used. If I remember correctly (it's been a little while, sorry) you have the option of of 4 channels on the VP touch panels. So set all of the buttons for one system on button channels 1 & 2 with each having 255 addresses in each, and then set the buttons for the other system to 3 & 4. Please correct me if I am wrong or if this is not what you were saying. Thanks.

I thought what you are talking about was the device?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Options
    No, G3 panels support multiple devices ... so if you activate it in the panel, and make the receiver device 6001, then device 2 in the panel will be 6002, etc. In the Panel Properties section of TPD3, there is a place to enter the base device number, and the number of devices you are using; in some panels, you also have to make these settings in the panel itself. When you assign button channels, you can specify which device it belongs to. It essentially gives you the ability to make one panel several. If I recall, Viewpoints will accept up to 2, and other G3's, like a CP4, can support 4. IN your program, you treat each device like a separate panel.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote:
    No, G3 panels support multiple devices ... so if you activate it in the panel, and make the receiver device 6001, then device 2 in the panel will be 6002, etc. In the Panel Properties section of TPD3, there is a place to enter the base device number, and the number of devices you are using; in some panels, you also have to make these settings in the panel itself. When you assign button channels, you can specify which device it belongs to. It essentially gives you the ability to make one panel several. If I recall, Viewpoints will accept up to 2, and other G3's, like a CP4, can support 4. IN your program, you treat each device like a separate panel.

Ah, OK - that makes sense - thanks.

One last question then - I have my receiver set to 6001. TP device on 1. Base address is 128. What is the base address doing? I'm seeing all button presses on 6001 for that panel.

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Options
    I may really be missing something, but how is an Axlink receiver being set to address 6001?!?

- Chip
  • Options
    dmurray14 wrote:
    Ah, OK - that makes sense - thanks.

One last question then - I have my receiver set to 6001. TP device on 1. Base address is 128. What is the base address doing? I'm seeing all button presses on 6001 for that panel.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Not all panels even let you set the base address - I believe it is ignored in favor of the receiver address. With the 2-way panels, it had to match. It's been a long time, my memory is a tad murky on it ...
  • Options
    Chip Moody wrote:
    I may really be missing something, but how is an Axlink receiver being set to address 6001?!?

- Chip

Not axlink, phast...
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote:
    Not all panels even let you set the base address - I believe it is ignored in favor of the receiver address. With the 2-way panels, it had to match. It's been a long time, my memory is a tad murky on it ...

OK thanks - I'll just mess around!

Dan
  • Options
    OK, I must be doing something wrong. Created a touchscreen with buttons in the "2" device, but I'm not getting anything on the diagnostic monitor when I press the button. Receiver is set to 6001. If I push a button on the 1 device (on the same panel) it comes through just fine. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Options
    Ahhh... I missed where that was mentioned. Didn't think a Phast receiver would be supported.

So maybe the Phastlink version is different, but perhaps the presses from buttons assigned to "device 2" on the panel would show up as 6001:2:1?

- Chip

dmurray14 wrote:
    Not axlink, phast...
  • Options
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Ahhh... I missed where that was mentioned. Didn't think a Phast receiver would be supported.

So maybe the Phastlink version is different, but perhaps the presses from buttons assigned to "device 2" on the panel would show up as 6001:2:1?

- Chip

Well whats getting me confused is that I'm not actually seeing ANYTHING on the diagnostics. Anything on device 1 shows up fine, but device 2 buttons don't trigger anything. Go figure...
  • Options
    Any ideas guys? I must be doing SOMETHING wrong.

On one panel I have a bunch of buttons on device 1.

On another panel I have some more buttons on device 2.

Receiver is at 6001

I have defined the first tp as 06001:1:1.

I have defined the second tp as 06001:2:1

I get button presses from the first panel with no problems. I even get button presses from the second panel for buttons defined on device one. However anything defined as device 2 gets me nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    dmurray14 wrote:
    Any ideas guys? I must be doing SOMETHING wrong.

On one panel I have a bunch of buttons on device 1.

On another panel I have some more buttons on device 2.

Receiver is at 6001

I have defined the first tp as 06001:1:1.

I have defined the second tp as 06001:2:1

I get button presses from the first panel with no problems. I even get button presses from the second panel for buttons defined on device one. However anything defined as device 2 gets me nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Dan

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the old G3 TPs achieve 2nd, 3rd and 4th devices not at the port level but at the device level?

So, in your case shouldn't device 2 be at 6002:01:0?

I've used the old G3 panels wired via Axlink or Axlink wireless 100s of times. so those end up being something like...
    TP_1_1 =128:01:0
    TP_1_2 =129:01:0
    TP_1_3 =130:01:0
    TP_1_4 =131:01:0

(... some device below 255:01:0)

I've never tried to repurpose the TPs with phastlink/ICSNet. So, my advice might be totally off base.
  • Options
    ericmedley wrote:
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the old G3 TPs achieve 2nd, 3rd and 4th devices not at the port level but at the device level?

So, in your case shouldn't device 2 be at 6002:01:0?

I've used the old G3 panels wired via Axlink or Axlink wireless 100s of times. so those end up being something like...
    TP_1_1 =128:01:0
    TP_1_2 =129:01:0
    TP_1_3 =130:01:0
    TP_1_4 =131:01:0

(... some device below 255:01:0)

I've never tried to repurpose the TPs with phastlink/ICSNet. So, my advice might be totally off base.

I think I might have found my problem, it looks like maybe VPT-CPs do not support anything other than device one? Is that the case?
  • Options
    They definitely support at least 2 devices. If it's not a setting on the setup screen, it's in TPD3.
  • Options
    glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I recently did another Landmark conversion and had several CV10's, MCP's, and VPT's. It is my understanding after doing this conversion that the VPT's only support one device, via the PMB-RF. TPD3 allows you to define more than device but the RF device does not support it. If you have a way to use more than one device I would sure like to know how because I had to rewrite the Netlinx code to support only one address for the VPT's per AMX rep.
  • Options
    If each panel needs fewer than 127 buttons, you can still pull this off. Set EACH panel to the same device number - for the buttons on one panel, make sure your push channels are all below 127, on the other panel, make them all above 127. The rest you can do in code.

- Chip
  • Options
    glr-fti wrote:
    I recently did another Landmark conversion and had several CV10's, MCP's, and VPT's. It is my understanding after doing this conversion that the VPT's only support one device, via the PMB-RF. TPD3 allows you to define more than device but the RF device does not support it. If you have a way to use more than one device I would sure like to know how because I had to rewrite the Netlinx code to support only one address for the VPT's per AMX rep.
    Ah, I was thinking standard Viewpoints; my experience with the Landmark variety is limited.
  • Options
    Dave, my experience with non Phast VPT's is limited. Can I then assume that if I was to use an AXR-RF device that I would be able to have more than one device with the VPT? I could have swapped the PMB-RF for an AXR-RF and not have had to re-write the code. It would have cost me a few bucks but saved a lot in porgramming time. Interesting. I think I even have an AXR-RF device sitting here somewhere I could have played with.
  • Options
    I just wanted to say, I'm very impressed that you guys still remember so much about the old Viewpoints. I can't even remember how to use TPD3 anymore. If I had to reprogram one of our old Viewpoint-Axcent installations I'd have to go back and re-learn it all over again.

--John
  • Options
    I just wanted to say, I'm very impressed that you guys still remember so much about the old Viewpoints. I can't even remember how to use TPD3 anymore. If I had to reprogram one of our old Viewpoint-Axcent installations I'd have to go back and re-learn it all over again.

--John

I love the implied (old) guys :) heh heh!

I don't relish the old days of TPD3. It didn't have an undo. That was infuriating...
  • Options
    I had to go look it up to be sure - and it depends. If it's a VPT-CP, apparently it only supports one device. If it's the VPN-CP, it supports 4. I thought I remembered the VPT supporting two, but my recollection mus have gotten jumbled. An AXF-RF isn't going to help you, that's for the VPT; the VPN uses a WAVE server.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, guess I'm SOL for now. Anyone have a VPN CP they want to sell me ;) Or even a wired 10"
  • Options
    dmurray14 wrote:
    Thanks guys, guess I'm SOL for now. Anyone have a VPN CP they want to sell me ;) Or even a wired 10"
    ebay! they are on there all the time
  • Options
    I have a CV10 and the wave pack, wave server, etc. so you could have it wired or wireless, if you are interested. It is in mint condition as it has only been used for testing. I still use it to occasionally test something for a client with older panels, but if you have a better use for it I'd be willing to listen.
  • Options
    glr-fti wrote:
    I have a CV10 and the wave pack, wave server, etc. so you could have it wired or wireless, if you are interested. It is in mint condition as it has only been used for testing. I still use it to occasionally test something for a client with older panels, but if you have a better use for it I'd be willing to listen.
    Just a warning: the Wave pack is not strictly compatible with wireless networking. It shares the same frequencies, and they will interfere with each other if they co-exist. I've had mixed results: the Viewpoint not being able to lock onto the receiver; the Viewpoint only being able to lock if the WiFi is shut down, but OK once locked and the WiFi turned back on; and the WiFi itself being compromised by the receiver.