Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Serial Control of DirecTV H20

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Pauld; the power up procedure seemed to do the trick.

Final notes for anyone interested:
    Adapter: IOGear GUC232
    Communication Setting: 115200,N,8,1
    Cable: AMX programming cable (or equivalent) between adapter and STB
    Procedure:Power up receiver all the way BEFORE inserting USB adapter
  • Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    No problems, glad to hear it worked.

Pauld
  • Options
    ekeppelekeppel Posts: 37
    Has anyone got it working with the new HR20?

We just installed the new HR20 DirecTV HD DVR unit at a job, and I was assuming (or rather HOPING) it would accept the same command set and work the same as the H10/H20, but it appears I was wrong. Is there a trick to getting these to respond to serial commands? I was unable to get it to respond to anything, and ended up using an IR emitter instead.

From the searches I have done on the web, I have gleaned that the word is that the HR20 is slated to support the serial protocol in the FUTURE, but that it is not implemented yet. Can anyone confirm this or share any success stories with the HR20?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ekeppel wrote:
    ... I have gleaned that the word is that the HR20 is slated to support the serial protocol in the FUTURE, but that it is not implemented yet. Can anyone confirm this or share any success stories with the HR20? ...

At CEDIA '06 I talked to a DirecTV Rep that told me that HR20 will support Serial Control after a update, but not until 1st quarter 2007. He would not tell me exact dates at the Expo, he just said to look for updates to the reciever in the future

Pauld
  • Options
    glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Odd problem

Using the IOgear cables and 2 H20 units. I have successfully gotten serial control of one of these devices but the other is acting very oddly. Using the same commands as the first I can turn on and off the unit no problem. There are issues with the other commands. If I change to a 2 digit channel it works no problem but if I try a 3 digit channel it throws out the first digit but accepts the next two. If I attempt to emulate a keypad it ignores sigle digits. If I send commands suchas as left, rights, up, down, etc. nothing works. The TX LED flashes on the NI device. I tried switching H20's and have the same problem. One other difference, the successful unit is attached to a 3100, while the unsuccessful is attached to a 2100. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • Options
    cmacma Posts: 94
    The new H20's are 9600 bd now so if you were never able to get it working with the 115200 settings you may want to try 9600..

On another note.. to send a direct channel command you need to take the hex version of the channel number ( ch 276 = hex 114) and send it out splitting the 1st part of the hex number from the second so it would look like : "$01,$14" for hex 114. I am definately having a brain malfunction today because I can't figure out how to take my list of channel numbers, convert them to hex and then split the first part of the hex digit from the second part.. any ideas?
  • Options
    joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    cma wrote:
    On another note.. to send a direct channel command you need to take the hex version of the channel number ( ch 276 = hex 114) and send it out splitting the 1st part of the hex number from the second so it would look like : "$01,$14" for hex 114. I am definately having a brain malfunction today because I can't figure out how to take my list of channel numbers, convert them to hex and then split the first part of the hex digit from the second part.. any ideas?

if channel= $0114

channel / $100 = $01
    channel % $100 = $14
  • Options
    cmacma Posts: 94
    Thanks, makes sense once I see it, for some reason I was drawing a blank..
  • Options
    New Doc

For those interested Directv now officially supports the H20. Here is the document:
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    glr-fti wrote:
    For those interested Directv now officially supports the H20. Here is the document:
    I'm interested. Thanks for posting the doc.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    So much for "proprietary, do not redistribute without express permission from DirecTV"... :)

- Chip
  • Options
    OK, perhaps I should have just done this:

To find the document go to : http://www.sbcatest.com/Techupdates.htm

Either way, this appears to be a public document now.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    glr-fti wrote:
    OK, perhaps I should have just done this:

To find the document go to : http://www.sbcatest.com/Techupdates.htm

Either way, this appears to be a public document now.

I would say that, by the fact that it exists on a public, unsecured website, no lawyers will be writing threatening letters! :)
  • Options
    Found another little tool today. I have not had an opportunity to try it out though. Look at the Serial Command Test Tool. Is it possible that Directv actually wants to help us?

http://www.sbcatest.com/Techupdates.htm
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    OSD control
    glr-fti wrote:
    Is it possible that Directv actually wants to help us?
    If they do, I sure wish they would bring back the OSD commands:

0x85 OSDOn
    0x86 OSDOff
    0xAA DisplayText

I wonder why they got dropped.
  • Options
    Be aware that at the current software level 0x2021 the power on command, $FA, $A5, $00, $01, $C5, will not work. After issuing the power on command the power light comes on but the resolution light does not and there is no picture or sound. Pressing the power button brings the resolution light on and there is picture and sound. Then when turned off the power light goes off but the resolution light does not.

Here is the response I received from Directv:

We have received other reports on H20 with this and similar behavior. We are investigating the details and problems will be addressed in a future software upgrade.

Sincerely.
    DIRECTV Custom Install Support
    custominstallsupport@directv.com
  • Options
    h20 Baud rate

FYI...earlier messages indicated that "newer" H20 models were at 9600 instead of 115,200. I just got burned at my own house by a software update that caused H20 control to fail. Nothing like being out of town (at CEDIA) when the wife calls to say the TV doesn't work anymore! Long story short, even if your H20 WAS working at 115,200, it may not continue to do so after the software update. I changed port to 9600 and control is restored. Thanks DIRECTV!!!! And thanks to earlier posters who mentioned the "newer" standard.

Cheers all,
    Paul
  • Options
    From recent experience in the past couple of weeks, many of the serial-connected H20s we have out on jobs has failed communication recently, so I expect the rest to fail also in the near future thanks to the software update.

DirecTV should be ashamed of themselves. I can understand adding more serial commands or making small changes here and there, but changing the baud rate from 115k to 9600?! Thanks to this, we'll be travelling around to each of our non-internet connected customers to fix it. We have many customers several hours drive away, too, ugh!

At least I now know that 9600 will work, but at this point I'm of the opinion that going back to IR is the safest bet, since who can know when DirecTV will change it again at a whim and cause us a bunch of service calls again? We just got back from fixing a big job last week that was about 3 hours away and I ended up changing all the sat receivers back to IR, because I didn't dare continue to use serial.

Maybe there is a lesson to be learned here somewhere, but if we can't trust the manufacturer to leave well enough alone, who can we trust?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    They have never been exactly friendly to third-party RS-232 control; this does not surprise me.
  • Options
    As of firmware 0x2024 the baud rate is 9600. The control seems to be stable, for now.

Paul
  • Options
    flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    Is anybody controlling the HR21 via RS-232 successfully? I'm wondering if the response of the receiver to a RS-232 command would be faster that the IR which is IMHO really slow. I think that the processor in the HR21 is slower than the one in the HR20. I did a side by side comparison regarding signal test and the HR20 finished the test way faster than the HR21. When I send a channel change command to the HR21 at home, it takes some time to do the change from one channel to the other. It could be something related to the DVR itself.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    My only trepidation (sp?) about using the serial port is that it's technically unsupported and therefore untrustworthy in that Direct TV has been known to willy-nilly (in our eyes) change things.

We've been dealing with some quirky IR issues with their units for a couple months now that are driving our techs crazy. DTV tends to be rather coy about it, stating that "it works with the IR remote that was shipped with the unit, right?"
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I beleive that serial control is officially supported according to that control document that is floating around.

I have had IR issues with H20 receivers by putting the blasters right over the window. Appearantly the receivers can be overloaded when the light is too strong. I put the blaster about a half inch away from the window and always works reliably.
  • Options
    flcusat wrote:
    Is anybody controlling the HR21 via RS-232 successfully? I'm wondering if the response of the receiver to a RS-232 command would be faster that the IR which is IMHO really slow. I think that the processor in the HR21 is slower than the one in the HR20. I did a side by side comparison regarding signal test and the HR20 finished the test way faster than the HR21. When I send a channel change command to the HR21 at home, it takes some time to do the change from one channel to the other. It could be something related to the DVR itself.

I've used it for the HR20. Does the HR21 have a traditional DB9 port, or is it USB like the HR20?

There is a 232 command called openuserchannel which allows you to enter the channel directly, rather then send the code for the channel numbers and enter. This might result in a faster channel change.
  • Options
    The HR21 does have an USB port just like the HR20, and the HR21 seems support the RS232 protocol. I had one hooked up last week, however, I did not get a chance to test all of the commands.

The HR21PRO has a DB9 port for control.

As far as I know Directv does support RS232 offically, but not thought the public support channels (CSRs).

The protocol documents can be found at http://www.sbcatest.com/Techupdates.htm

Support can be found at http://www.dbstalk.com/ in the directv forums

Pauld
  • Options
    flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    May be I missed it but I couldn't find a way to get the power status in the protocol. Also, is a null modem needed?
  • Options
    I do not know of a way to get power status from the Directv recievers. I normally just send the On/Off commands to the recievers.

Yes, a null modem cable is required for the models that use a USB adaptor.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Is anyone aware of whether or not you can get XM radio meta data from the RS-232 port of a HR-21?

inquiring (and over-promising sales people) want to know.
  • Options
    Sorry no meta data

No you can not get meta data from the receiver. You can request what channel the receiver is tuned to but that is about it.