Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

new products

i can only say one thing: W0W!

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    come on! you have to do better than that.
  • Yuri's post prompted me to look at the headlines on AMX's site. New stuff is listed there and there's a Cedia '07 press kit.

Wow, lot's of stuff!

--John
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Everything surely looks cool. Let's hope they don't drop the ball on the release dates like they did the R-5, and hope they ample stock of the stuff. I'm looking forward to 2008 with much optimism, but with the knowledge of reality. I'm really excited about the way AMX is heading.
  • flcusatflcusat Posts: 309
    Here are some real life picture of the new products.
    Here is the new Modero MVP-5200i
    Here is the new Entry Communicator
    Here is the king of the show
    Here are the new NI-3101 on top with the new Tango Distributed Audio unit.
    Sorry guys. I forgot to take pictures of the new keypads. I'll take them today and post it.
    Looks like they smartened up a bit with the bottom of the panel - they don't have those crazy knotches, and whatnot in order to dock. Also looks like the battery gets pulled out from the top; if that's true - I wonder how many people are going to be buying new replacement batteries because their child pulled it out and lost it or destroyed it.
    jjames wrote:
    Also looks like the battery gets pulled out from the top; if that's true - I wonder how many people are going to be buying new replacement batteries because their child pulled it out and lost it or destroyed it.

I'm going to need to get back to you on that Jeremiah. The MVP-5200i was going from hand to hand at the booth and it was really hard to get those pictures. I didn't realized about that detail but I'll get back today and find out.
  • Well, the new TP looks cool. The Thermostat also looks great. The Tango audio products will depend on how they play with the Netlinx Masters. If they come up with an efficient module for the Tango with proper feedback for source switching and volume levels, it may succeed, but if the Tango is just a face lift to the Matrix products, than it won't do as good. Those that tried integrating the Matrix with Netlinx know what I am talking about. At last, the new keypads: I don't know about these ones. With the competition offering color LCD smart keypads, I was expecting AMX to come up with a color version of an improved MIO DMS. Maybe on next year's CEDIA they will come up with a new color LCD keypad. I can't believe that they went backwards in technology. Usually with a dynamic menu LCD keypad, you can have it all: source selection, number keypads and control of all kinds of things in a single gang box. Now with the new Metreau Keypad line, you need a 3 gang box to achieve the same without the ability to show dymanic favorite channels, presets and lists. Maybe one day we will see a R-4 LCD in a wall keypad.
  • jjames wrote:
    Looks like they smartened up a bit with the bottom of the panel - they don't have those crazy knotches, and whatnot in order to dock. Also looks like the battery gets pulled out from the top; if that's true - I wonder how many people are going to be buying new replacement batteries because their child pulled it out and lost it or destroyed it.

The back cover has to be unscrewed to get the battery out.

They also redesigned the docking station so that you can just drop it in and not have to mess around with lining it up just right.
  • if the Tango is just a face lift to the Matrix products

It is just a facelift.
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    They also redesigned the docking station so that you can just drop it in and not have to mess around with lining it up just right.
    Bravissimo!

Now when you say the back cover must be unscrewed, what exactly does that mean? All (x) number of screws with an eency-weency phillips screwdriver? Or is it simple enough a customer can do it when the eventual (completely speculating here) new firmware / OS freezes up? Surely they wouldn't just have a fancy new panel with the same old capabilities. That would be like making your XP look like Vista . . . just because it looks nice. No real benefit.
    jjames wrote:
    Bravissimo!

Now when you say the back cover must be unscrewed, what exactly does that mean? All (x) number of screws with an eency-weency phillips screwdriver? Or is it simple enough a customer can do it when the eventual (completely speculating here) new firmware / OS freezes up? Surely they wouldn't just have a fancy new panel with the same old capabilities. That would be like making your XP look like Vista . . . just because it looks nice. No real benefit.
    Yeah, You are going to need to take off 5 screws to have access to the battery. That really sucks. Here is the picture.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    jjames wrote:
    Bravissimo!

if i judge according to the panel number (5200i) i would say it's a 5,2" touchpanel with intercom functionality. I bet you there isn't any new OS, firmware, etc....
    Did any one notice the recessed kick stand. Appears it will dock with out any problems!

I'd rather have a few screws than the way the battery cover is removed now on the 8400s.
    vining wrote:
    Did any one notice the recessed kick stand. Appears it will dock with out any problems!

I'd rather have a few screws than the way the battery cover is removed now on the 8400s.

You are right the panel will dock with the kick stand.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    and the kickstand is INCLUDED :)

Jeff
    flcusat wrote:
    You are right the panel will dock with the kick stand.
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    and the kickstand is INCLUDED
    Now I'd like to see this applied to the 8400, though the lack of the four hard keys on the left is a bummer. We used those for volume +/- and channel +/-. They could have at least included actual channel & volume +/-. I guess they didn't want to seem like they were ripping off the Harmony 1000. You have to admit, they look similar. Let's hope the charging base does have a ridiculous MSRP like the current one for the 8400. (Who ever designed that should have been fired . . . oh . . . wait. ;))

As far as me referencing a new firmware / OS, I was just saying it would be nice, not out of the realm of possiblity since a bit can change in a few months. You never know.
    jjames wrote:
    Now I'd like to see this applied to the 8400

I don't think that is going to happen.
    I almost forgot to post the picture of the new keypads. Here they are.
    Not sure if it was the lighting of the pictures or the angle or what, but the text seems very hard to read. True statement?

I think Pedro should be designated our on-site Cedia Reporter . . . have a phone number we can call and ask you questions? LOL (j/k)
    jjames wrote:
    Not sure if it was the lighting of the pictures or the angle or what, but the text seems very hard to read. True statement?

I think Pedro should be designated our on-site Cedia Reporter . . . have a phone number we can call and ask you questions? LOL (j/k)

I know, those picture sucks, but the engraving of the buttons could be anything. You should have my number. Anyways it is 305-888-0072.

Don't worry Jeremiah, I'll go back today and take a close up of the keypads again.
    Here are better shots of the keypads
    yuri wrote:
    i think the keypads look similar to this:
    Looks like a cross between that and a Lutron SeeTouch Keypad.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Other than some disappointment that the new "flagship" panel is only 5.2", the stuff looks great. I know we will be all over the new Viewstats.
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    The keypads are based on the Matrix audio keypads, coming in 2 flavours now, Axlink as an AMX general purpose controller, or a Matrix audio (tango) flavour using SWT (speaker wire technology).

As to the New MVP, from reports, it is now based around a new TI processor, and has a different architecture, using more along the lines of Mobile phone style internals and PCB packing to achive the smaller form factor and greater (?) performance. From what I've been told it sounds more like something along the lines of G5, perhaps more like a G4.5 atm though.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I was expecting much more!
    AMX has a lot of catching up to do in the resi department and it's not going to come from a new door bell and one touchpanel (I do like the new 5.2).

At a minamum: Component switcher with digital audio over CAT5 - next year, HDMI switcher over CAT5.
    I can't sell a Thermostat that will stop getting feedback in 3 years unless my customer pays a monthly fee.

I only say this because I know AMX is the best system available, but that doesn't always get the job done.