Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Pioneer PDPLX608 serial protocol

We are having a bad time trying to get info from Pioneer for this device.

If anyone has any reference material for the PDPLX608 I would really appreciate it.

I also understand it is the same protocol for any plasma with an '8' at the end of its part number.

Thanks!

Comments

• I had to look at the 50" version on paper just the other week for an upcoming job, and could also get nothing from Pioneer other than the standard line of "its for factory setup use"...

Have you got the hardware? Have you tried the normal Pioneer Command set?
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Jimweir192 wrote:
    I had to look at the 50" version on paper just the other week for an upcoming job, and could also get nothing from Pioneer other than the standard line of "its for factory setup use"...

Have you got the hardware? Have you tried the normal Pioneer Command set?
    No, no hardware, but I did get an excel spreadsheet from a colleague interstate that interestingly is authored by Pioneer.

INP //INPUT Report Current Input Status
    INP + S01 //INPUT 1 Select INPUT1

Spaced exactly like this. No mention of any stx etx bytes.

Really poor documentation - it does look like it has come from the techs in Japan I must say.

This kit is meant to be on the wall and running by Monday!

PM me if you want the .xls
  • Is the unit like some of the other consummer units which need the comms mode changed from SR+ to RS232? Then using a ID of ** rather than 01 in the pro models?

Like the attached file:
  • Sorry cross posts - Cheers Jim
  • I have been testing this morning with a unit and have tested basic control (vol up/down etc). I got documentation from our distributers. If you need any details let me know.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    sridley wrote:
    I have been testing this morning with a unit and have tested basic control (vol up/down etc). I got documentation from our distributers. If you need any details let me know.
    If you had any decent document it would be much appreciated if you could post/PM it.

The room already has audio, so we simply need power on/off, and source control. Aspect etc. will never change.

...even a couple of cmds posted here or PM'd for that lot will get me through with less pain.

Thanks!
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I just wanted to thank Jim for the pdf. That PDF just made my evening (until I thought about all of the other problems I have to deal with :) ). I was about to switch to icky IR control when I decided to give the forums a shot with the search function and found this thread.

Thanks again,
    Jeff
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I was reading over this thread and thought I'd chime in. I've seen two sets of protocol from Pioneer. One of course is the one posted, which I swear I've seen an only slightly different version of the input commands. But the other one is NEC protocol, which was at least used for the PDP-6010.

I spent a full day testing Pioneer's protocol and have come up with a very solid include file. I can't post the file, but I will share this very helpful hint: whenever it responds with the "echo" of a power on or off command, it's ready for the input. If you send a power on command while it's still on, you receive "XXX"; same thing with the power off I believe. This helps when dealing with the power on dead time. If you get the timing right, you have the input command sent and accepted before any image appears on the screen - so it looks like it powers up to the desired input and not switching.

Anyway, I've been dealing with this protocol for a solid 3 three years now, and it ranks right up there with Integra protocol: I just love it!!
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I just wanted to thank Jim for the pdf.

Your very welcome! Glad it made your life a little easier!!

There was a Pioneer badged 60 which was actually an NEC Chassis, available after Pioneer purchased an NEC factory I believe. There have certainly been a couple of varients of the Pioneer Protocol, but usually as jjames says it's a pleasure to work with...