Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Vista Support?

Well, as a programmer that loves betas, I decided to try out some AMX software on the Windows Vista Beta 2. I'm happy to report the essential AMX software installed well . . . for the most part. I haven't done extensive testing of the software on Vista, but have done some.

Here's a list of programs that installed fine:
* DIP Switch
* G4 Panel Preview
* NetLinx Studio 2
* Software History
* TPDesign 4

Programs that had some trouble:
* IR Edit v1.3.79.0 - had to install in XP Compatability mode

I'll be installing most (if not all) AMX software on the Vista computer and will report back with more information. Hopefully AMX is working on 100% Vista compatible software, and maybe even coincide a release of NetLinx Studio 3 with Vista's release, which I hope would have a lot of useful features (perhaps can be discussed in another thread.)

Is anyone else using Vista and installed AMX software on it? Luckily NLS2 was compatible as I had to use it for a job when my other computer's battery decided to die . . . I guess it was my fault as I didn't bring the power cord - OOPS!!

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote:
    Hopefully AMX is working on 100% Vista compatible software, and maybe even coincide a release of NetLinx Studio 3 with Vista's release, which I hope would have a lot of useful features (perhaps can be discussed in another thread.)

I wouldn't bank on it. I remember for quite a long time after the release of XP (as much as a year I think), AMX was saying that they only supported Windows 98. I was extremely annoyed with it. I don't plan on switching to Vista anything like right away, and I really hope I am just being unduly pessimistic, but I can't play around with it either. I'm not switching over until I am absolutely positive it won't bite me in the butt.
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Myself I just hope they would publish someday a version for Linux or Unix of their development software and forget a little that all Microsoft world :D

Vince
  • I was able to install netlinx 2 without any problems, but I am unable to send any files to any of my systems via IP.
    I was wondering if anyone else had these problems, I am able to upload using my XP computer, so its not a connection issue.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Can't they just let us run with XP for 5 minutes instead of chucking it out and making us all start again?!!!!
  • Vista

Use Vista at your own risk and don't expect any support until it has been offically blessed.
  • If you're having trouble getting connected to your master with any of the AMX apps, you'll need to do one of two things. Either turn off the option to ping your master before connecting, or find your firewall settings and enable ICMPv4 Incoming. It appears that, though Vista is preconfigured to allow outgoing ICMP messages, it blocks incoming ones. This is needed to perform the initial device ping to determine if your master is online. If you're behind a hardware firewall as well that is capable of blocking ICMP messages from outside of your local network, it should be safe to enable them locally. But if your PC's software firewall is your only line of defense, I would recommend leaving ICMP blocking on and simply turn off the ping option when connecting to your master.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I second the desire for a Linux based version of AMX software. I also doubt we will see a Vista compatible version for a while seeing that I am hearing all kinds of compatibility issues with Vista and other software. It's rather ironic in my mind too. I feel that one of the things that held back the early versions of windows was it's desire to maintain every ounce of backwards compatibility while sacrificing performance and reliability. Now it seems like they don't care about standards or backward compatibility (and the reliability is still in question).

Well, I guess it could also be ironic because it's the first thing in the morning and my brain hasn't defrosted yet ;)

Speaking of alternatives, has anyone had any experience running the AMX software on a Mac?

TKN
  • DJPickDJPick Posts: 12
    I would also love to see a Linux based version of AMX software!
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    Speaking of alternatives, has anyone had any experience running the AMX software on a Mac?

Yep for sure ;) if you use an old PPC based Mac you have Virtual PC that works well. If you are on new Intel Mac, you can use Parallels and it works great and efficiently ;)

Vinc
  • Vista Ultimate

We've all been running Vista since Beta.... All AMX apps run except the USB AMXLAN driver. So no USB transfers until then. All difficulties usually point to driver related problems, e.g. no transfers could be a NIC driver incompatibility issue. Sound drivers are usually incorrect. I usually find that these driver issues are usually easily sorted out by changing to generic drivers or different drivers by the same manufacturer etc. I second the second for Linux AMX apps - and I'm not even a Linux expert!
  • ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    Would be nice on Iphone too
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I too would like a Linux build of AMX's programs. I've been using Ubuntu for a little while now and just wish I could load it on my work computer. :( Oh well.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Clingpeach wrote:
    Would be nice on Iphone too

That's probably doable, actually, making an iPhone applet that can control an AMX. I'll have to try to talk my boss into getting me one so I can justify working on such a thing ... sadly, it's not likely.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    THe iPhones don't run Flash or Java and you can't add anything them, so you'd have to build some sort of web app that didn't need those technologies client side...
  • jisaacjisaac Posts: 34
    second the verification of AMX software running on Mac OSX via parallels. Runs better than on my native XP pc.
  • patbpatb Posts: 140
    What are you guys doing to install G4 Panel Preview in Vista? I have an employee with a laptop and when she installed all of the AMX software that she needed fine except for G4 Panel Preview. When she tried to run the install application it wouldn't even run - never would install it. So now she can't test her panel designs because Panel Preview wouldn't even install in Vista. I'm not sure what the exact error message was - but it was something about incompatibility with the operating system.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    As an alternative, the page flips could be handled in code, then it could be tested on the panel rather than a computer. A bit more realistic in my opinion.
    We can debate the page flips in code vs panel issue in another thread and it is an interesting discussion. But in my opinion unless there is a STRONG reason to put page flips in code it is much easier and much more straight-forward to put ALL page flips in the panel. Some guys still have onto the G3 days when you could only put one action in a page flip and you were forced to put page flips in code if you wanted to do multiple actions ( likepage flip, popup page on). But since G4 has been out it has solved that problem and removed the need to put all the page flips in code. In general I have seen instances where it makes much more sense to put page flips in code for residential systems because you might have the exact same panel loaded in 20 rooms with the only difference being the pages that are active in each room. I have done systems like that and yes it does make sense in that case to put page flips in the code. But in 95% of the system where there is a single panel that is in use page flips in the panel works much better.

I'm not a novice at this either - I worked at AMX in their programming department for around 4 years and I have worked as an independent developer for over 10 years so I have written more systems that most people have ever seen. In my current capacity I have a couple of people working for me as graphic designers that do nothing but develop touch panel pages. They do not write code and they do not have a netlinx system to use. Without using G4 Panel Preview in Vista they are forced to go to an old machine that they had planned to get rid of and use it because it has XP on it so they can run the panel preview. It's a pain the the *** especially if the people are travelling and only have their laptop that has Vista on it.

Back to the question - it seems that people have used panel preview with Vista - my question is HOW ? When I tried to install it on Vista the installation closed and exited on me before it was even installed.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Fonts for TP4 in VISTA

I recently purchased a new laptop that came with Vista.
    When ever I download a panel file TP4 will say that some font in the panel is not recognized and will convert to the default font.
    Is there a way to stop this from happening? I have unstalled TP4 several times and can't seem to get all the fonts to be recognized.
  • VISTA 64 With VA

I use VISTA Ultimate 64.
    All AMX program is good working.

I have only problem the VisualArchitecht.
    This program is use MSDN SQL. I install SQL 2005 EXPERT.
    This is good working, but VA install is not work.

I try VA 1.1 , VA 1,2 and VA 1,3 version...
    VA 1,3 is possible work together with SQL 2005 Expert. But the install is not finish the installation..

Error: Device Database has not been properly installed; version 1.3.50. is required.

(Panel Preview install is easy... only need select Windows XP compatible mode)
    I know almost NOTHING about Vista because I have refused to switch until most of the major bugs are worked out. What is "Windows XP compatible mode" and how do you enable it?
  • VISTA (XP compatible mode)
    patb wrote:
    I know almost NOTHING about Vista because I have refused to switch until most of the major bugs are worked out. What is "Windows XP compatible mode" and how do you enable it?

Same program is not good working with vista...
    One way: use XP compatible mode.

How can use:
    Select the program file, and click preporities.
    Select XP compatible mode.
    (I use this and example the AMX G4 PanelPreview program is good work. 100%!)
  • Fonts install
    Kenny wrote:
    I recently purchased a new laptop that came with Vista.
    When ever I download a panel file TP4 will say that some font in the panel is not recognized and will convert to the default font.
    Is there a way to stop this from happening? I have unstalled TP4 several times and can't seem to get all the fonts to be recognized.

Only need check the all fonts. (old XP system)
    Install manualy the fontsto Vista! AMX...

I use this, and work.
  • This is the only way that I have been able to get VA 1.2 and 1.3 to install. (Either on XP or Vista).

1. I deleted VA and the SQL 2005 Express using control panel.
    2. I deleted all of the files and folders from both applications that were left on my drive after the uninstall.
    3. I downloaded the SQL 2005 Express (free) from the Microsoft web site (save mode not run mode).
    4. Installed SQL 2005 Express.
    5. Installed VA. Since SQL was already installed, it did not try a reinstall, but just created the VA database.
  • VISTA 64 With VA
    This is the only way that I have been able to get VA 1.2 and 1.3 to install. (Either on XP or Vista).

1. I deleted VA and the SQL 2005 Express using control panel.
    2. I deleted all of the files and folders from both applications that were left on my drive after the uninstall.
    3. I downloaded the SQL 2005 Express (free) from the Microsoft web site (save mode not run mode).
    4. Installed SQL 2005 Express.
    5. Installed VA. Since SQL was already installed, it did not try a reinstall, but just created the VA database.

I try this. But not work.
    AMX SQL server is starting but not filling up all data...
    I thing problem is the VISTA 64 bit version...
  • Dooming Fonts

I'm trying to install Netlinx and TPD4 on a Windows Vista system, and while I realize it's certainly not ideal to do so, it's what I've got at the moment. The problem is, when I go to install AMX software which attempts to install a font mid-process, it hangs up and stops responding at that point. I called AMX Tech Support, and the gentlemen said that people have found ways around the problem, but he couldn't tell me how it was done, as it put a level of liability on AMX at that point.

So I'm asking you, please give me some suggestions on how to bypass this ridiculousness. I've tried changing the compatibility of the install file to Windows XP SP2, but that made no difference. Help!

Thanks!

~Jason
  • The only way i have gotten all my amx apps to work is through a very cumbersome virtual XP Pro installation on my vista laptop. Original vista installation was SEMI OK. All the updates knocked out AMX functionality
  • ...when I go to install AMX software which attempts to install a font mid-process, it hangs up and stops responding at that point.

Did you try running the Setup executable as Administrator? I know that has caused trouble for me in the past with Vista. Sometimes the setup program will try to install something where Vista doesn't think it should be allowed so it hangs. I have NS2 and TPD4 on one of my laptops with Vista.

--John
  • I ended up going into Msconfig and disabling the UAC (User Account Control). I realized the computer seemed to be unsure whether or not I really was the administrator at various points in processing (in spite of being on the default administrator account). Disabling the UAC causes the computer to assume I'm running everything in the administrative mode. I suspect running something in "Administrator" mode, simply attempts to bypass the UAC, but apparently isn't terribly successful.

I am proud to report that this actually solved a great deal of problems occurring on the machine. I'm really beginning to wonder if many of the "incompatability" issues in Vista comes as a result of "old" programs not playing nice with the new UAC feature...

Just thought I'd share the work around. :)