Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Help Please - Netlinx Internal Diagnostics

I am working in a system out of town and I keep getting this message when I ENABLE - 'Netlinx Internal Diagnostics Messages' under the Netlinx Studio Diagnostics menu:
Line 10 :: IPDeviceDetector.processDatagram(): missing DPD property - 17:56:29

The system includes 1 NI-4000, 6 MVP-8400s and 1 CV12. All panels IPs are static, as well as Master. Running latest Duet firmware on NI-4000 and all panels have their respective latest device firmware. Things are working, but I am worried about this message.

Any ideas. Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It looks to be searching for an IP device defined somehow in code, yet doesn't physically exist. I wonder, would a dynamic discovery call do this if there is no DD compatible device on the network?
  • Options
    The only thing that I am using that may be looking for an IP is the i-TimeManager, other than that everything else is IR and serial. This is my Server configuration inside the i-TimeManager module:

nTmTsProtocol = nProtoSNTP
    nTmTsCheckTime = 0
    strTmTsServer = ''

Another thing that I just noticed this morning is that one of the MVP-8400 keeps dropping the connection. This may be related to a Cisco Access point malfunction. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ricardo
  • Options
    shanemshanem Posts: 28
    Same problem!

Hi Ricardo,
    Did you find the solution to this problem? I realise it has been a while since you last posted in this thread but I am having the exact same issues you described in your opening post. System seems fine but the diagnostics keep throwing up the message "IPDeviceDetector.processDatagram(): missing DPD property" every 20 seconds or so. This doesnt seem to be causing any problems but as you said is quite worrying.
    Also we are using 5 MVP-8400 on the job but it seems that every now and again (every 2-3 days it seems) that one of these will drop their connection to the master. The only way to correct this is by rebooting the panel after which it works fine again. Are these issues related and if so have you any recommendations?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Shane
  • Options
    shanem wrote: »
    Hi Ricardo,
    Also we are using 5 MVP-8400 on the job but it seems that every now and again (every 2-3 days it seems) that one of these will drop their connection to the master. The only way to correct this is by rebooting the panel after which it works fine again. Are these issues related and if so have you any recommendations?

I have nothing to add for the original problem, but that exact touch panel issue I have seen. It turns out there was RF interference between the access point and the panel. It was less than 10' away, but there were some SOnos boxes right next to the access point that I wasn't aware had their WiFi on, and they were stepping on the signal. Even though I had an "excellent" signal strength, the panel would drop off line and stay off line until rebotted. I moved the access point and the problem went away. Funny thing, it is now actually farther from the panel than it was ... but it is also not right on top of the Sonos boxes.
  • Options
    shanemshanem Posts: 28
    Thanks Dave,
    That is interesting. It is hard to pin point exactly where in the house this is occoring as they tend to use the TPs in different rooms from time to time. However I have a sneaky suspicion that the problem could be with the panels when they are in the Playroom where they have an XBOX 360, PS3 and a Wii all within 15-20 ft of the WAP. It probably doesnt help that these consoles are never actually turned off!! I have just ordered Wi-Spy so that might give me a better idea where there could be an interference issue. Moving the WAP is'nt really an option but I might try plug it out and piggy back on the "Good" signal from the WAP in the room above. Thanks again for the help.
  • Options
    I've been harassing my boss to get me one of those Wi-Spy devices to track this sort of thing, but he is being annoying about it. His last response was "I'll think about it." He's not convinced it's a widespread issue, where I am more convinced each day that wonky wireless connections are more due to interference than anything else.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I've been harassing my boss to get me one of those Wi-Spy devices to track this sort of thing, but he is being annoying about it. His last response was "I'll think about it." He's not convinced it's a widespread issue, where I am more convinced each day that wonky wireless connections are more due to interference than anything else.

We are considering getting an RF Spectrum Analyzer for this very reason. As of now, we're split down the middle of whether to drop the $8K~$12k for it. I'm so ready to get one. I estimate we'll save at least that much in two months in useless service calls dealing with wireless issues that we do not get paid for.

I've been tracking it for about 6 months now and we easily spend thousands per month sending techs out dealing with this kind of stuff. A few more months of data and I'm sure I'll win the argument. (Then my plans for world domination can continue unabated ~ rubbing my hands together maniacally)