Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Add Font?

I just bought the font "Eurostile" for use on one of my touchpanels. The graphics for the panel include words done in this font, so I wanted continuity. I added it to Windows Fonts (I'm using Vista, but I tried it in XP as well). I went into MS Word, and typed away in Eurostile with no problem.

When I load TPDesign, its not there. Every other font installed on the system shows up, just not this one. Any ideas?

J

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Jeff wrote: »
    I just bought the font "Eurostile" for use on one of my touchpanels. The graphics for the panel include words done in this font, so I wanted continuity. I added it to Windows Fonts (I'm using Vista, but I tried it in XP as well). I went into MS Word, and typed away in Eurostile with no problem.

When I load TPDesign, its not there. Every other font installed on the system shows up, just not this one. Any ideas?

J

you rebooted your PC?

btw. nice font
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    I rebooted the Vista machine, twice. Haven't yet tried that on XP, will do so today

J
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have found that when an application can't find a font, it sometimes works to open the font with the computer's internal font viewer while the app is running, and then it will find it. Once found, it will stay available.

Something you need to keep in mind, though the chances are rather slim anyone will actually come after you: if you purchased and licensed a font, it is almost certain that loading it on a touch panel violates your license agreement. Once you have loaded a font to a touch panel, it can be downloaded by anyone with TPD4, and once the panel is downloaded, that font is now available to the person who downloaded it. Because of this, I try carefully to used only standard Windows fonts and public domain ones. Like I said, it's is unlikely someone would ever come after you for this, but the possibility does exist, and you would technically be in violation. Digital rights are becoming more and more of a big deal, and I think it wise to remain as squeaky-clean as you can to avoid issues in the future.
    I think in this particular instance, I should be fine legally, because the company that owns the touchpanels bought the font, and doesn't use outside programmers, so nobody else should be able to connect to the panels with TPD4 and download it. But thats a good note.

However, opening the font while TPD4 was open did nothing, nor did opening the font Before opening TPD4. This is insanely frustrating
    I think I found it. TPDesign can use Open Type fonts that have True Type Outlines, but if its just an Open Type font, then no dice.

Bah. Trying to convert to TTF now . . . .
    OK, so here's the deal

No such conversion appears to exist, except in some random linux utility I couldn't make work in cygwin

But renaming it from Eurostile.otf to Eurostile.ttf did the job

So random

J
  • roognationroognation Posts: 138
    Open Type Fonts OTF - Usability in TPD4

Thanks for the tip, I just started fooling around with some out-of-print TTF fonts and was able to rename the current version OpenType Font files from OTF to TTF and that worked like a charm in TP Design 4.

Thanks again!