Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Using non-amx power supply

Can I use a computer power supply (like one used in PCs - ATX 350W ) for NI-2100? Or is it a bad idea?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Computer power supplies won't even turn on if not connected to a mainboard that tells them it's OK to turn on. You would have to heavily modify it ... then there is the matter of making the connections, mounting it cleanly, etc. I would chalk it up as "not worth the effort."

A laptop power supply should work though - just as long as it's 12VDC out. But really, by the time you go through all that you may as well just get one from AMX.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    MaratGill wrote: »
    Can I use a computer power supply (like one used in PCs - ATX 350W ) for NI-2100? Or is it a bad idea?

The answers are "yes" and "yes" (in no particular order).

It's quite easy to fool ATX supplies into turning on without a PC motherboard connected, but many supplies will be damaged if you turn them on without any load connected. There's plenty of doco on the internet about subverting them for different purposes, but I would advise against using them for most things.

Old AT supplies however, circa XT's to 486's, are a very good source of cheap clean power for a test bench (assuming you can get your hands on them). In either case you would never use one in a client install.
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    You can get cheaper power supplies that will work better then an ATX power supply. You generally would want one that is between 12 and 13.5vdc. The amperage is really depending on what you need for what your connecting. If your just powering an NI 2100, I believe if my memory serves me right, its 750ma.. radio shack has a 12v 1000ma power supply for cheap.. 20 bucks or so.

I wouldn't recommend using any other power supply though for a client.
  • After trying several different 'after market' power supplies on my test bench I now insist they are AMX units. They are a bit pricey IMHO but they work and last well. Computer power supplies are big, noisy, and have no finished case. Also AMX power supplies produce more than the 12V that they are spec'd at (13.5?) to compensate for any voltage drop that will occur over the lenght of cable run.
  • MathieuMathieu Posts: 25
    i think it's not a so good idea

computer power supply have a fan... that's enough for me to avoid using such power supply. With a fan you get dust, noise, and it's not really sexy design.
    The best solution is a standard power like laptop power supply or something like. I'm using Mascot power supply, about 4 amp and 12 v.
    I only had issue with smals power supply. More the power supply can deliver Amp, lest it get hot, and so get a longer life time.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Let's take this issue a step further . . . and if your modified power supply messes up an AMX product . . . think that'd void the warranty? Or just get nasty looks from tech support?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    jjames wrote:
    and if your modified power supply messes up an AMX product . . . think that'd void the warranty? Or just get nasty looks from tech support?
    I believe in honesty but the "if they don't ask, don't tell" policy works for me.

I think they should have something with a boost tap for long runs. 14v, 16v, something.

I've looked at the Altronic rack mount power supplies but they are fused outputs and the max at 3 or 3.5 amps which are just under the requirement for most TPs. Otherwise I would have tried it.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I generally use the "Twinfly" brand power supplies for my larger systems. I like to use the 15-volts model. They have a pot to allow you to dial it back to 14 or so. But the 15 is nice with longer Axlink lines.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    vining wrote: »
    jjames wrote:

I believe in honesty but the "if they don't ask, don't tell" policy works for me.

I think they should have something with a boost tap for long runs. 14v, 16v, something.

I've looked at the Altronic rack mount power supplies but they are fused outputs and the max at 3 or 3.5 amps which are just under the requirement for most TPs. Otherwise I would have tried it.
    We quite often run our DC around a large environment configured up as a 'Ring Mains' system. Will definitely solve the sag issue for devs that are the furtherest away from the PS.
  • I generally use the "Twinfly" brand power supplies for my larger systems. I like to use the 15-volts model. They have a pot to allow you to dial it back to 14 or so. But the 15 is nice with longer Axlink lines.

Turnip Truck! Could i get a link to that power supply?
  • I was just onsite where the installation crew wired the touch panel reverse on one end compared to the other end, when I arrived I noticed the controller blinking oddly and quickly fixed the issue. The system had been plugged in for 2 days and after the problem was fixed the AMX power supply came right back online and worked flawlessly. That to me is a sign of a well built power supply. Good job AMX !!