Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Axlink Wiring

Transmission medium = Shielded pseudo differential twisted pair

The above is a direct quote from the Axlink Spec sheet.

I am not 100% sure as to what this is meaning. I was under the impression that running 18/4 stranded was the recommended wire.

What is the best wire or what are you guys using?

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Typical Axlink cable has a low capacitance shielded, twisted pair for data and an unshielded pair for power.

We use West Penn 77350 for our rough-in work.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Axlink is very forgiving. I've used everything from speaker wire to CAT5 in a pinch. Ideally, when I can run the wires and am not stuck with whatever is there, I use a 7 conductor 18 ga. shielded cable (no twisted pairs, though that would probably be a good idea). The extra wires are then available if anything needs to be added in the future, like audio or video feeds.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Transmission medium = Shielded pseudo differential twisted pair

The above is a direct quote from the Axlink Spec sheet.

I am not 100% sure as to what this is meaning. I was under the impression that running 18/4 stranded was the recommended wire.

What is the best wire or what are you guys using?

Liberty wire company has cable made specifically for AxLink. It's 2 conductor inside a shield w/ drain wire. then 2 conductor outside that sheild for power. Total of 4 conductors plus a shield.

We also commonly use Lutron 'Green' wire for Axlink which is practically the exact same thing.
  • TworhythmsTworhythms Posts: 51
    We also use 18/4 "Lutron" shielded wire with no problems.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I use 18/4 all the way, why take a chance on a few cents worth of cable vs a lot of hours of troubleshooting.