Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

InfoComm 2008

Hello all,

Who can we expect to attend InfoComm this year in Las Vegas? Anyone interested in an informal get together as a group?

http://www.amx.com/infocomm08/default.asp

Comments

• VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    InfoComm 2008

I will be attending this year.

Looking forward to a good show.

A get-together wouldn't be out of the question.
  • I'll be there. I'd definitely like to meet.
  • I'll be there.. arriving afternoon on the 17th, departing evening of the 19th.

I'd be up for getting together as well.. I'm staying at Ballys.

Brad
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    4 years in the industry and I've yet to go to InfoComm or CEDIA or anything else . . . so in true fashion - I won't be going this year. :( Maybe next year.
  • Olszewski22Olszewski22 Posts: 51
    I have never been and seeing as though it is in Las Vegas(my home town) I was looking at going. Talked to my boss about it and come to find out ,neither of us know much about it. Is it simular to Cedia? How good is it to go?
  • About InfoComm
    I have never been and seeing as though it is in Las Vegas(my home town) I was looking at going. Talked to my boss about it and come to find out ,neither of us know much about it. Is it simular to Cedia? How good is it to go?
    Since it is in your home town, take advantage of the opportunity. For anyone in A/V, both residential and commercial, it is the show for custom installation and around long before Cedia began. You can register for free passes at http://www.amx.com/infocomm08/infocommReg.htm
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Great, last year when I posted the same question, no one was going. This year I can't make it, you're all going! :(
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    B_Clements wrote: »
    Since it is in your home town, take advantage of the opportunity. For anyone in A/V, both residential and commercial, it is the show for custom installation and around long before Cedia began. You can register for free passes at http://www.amx.com/infocomm08/infocommReg.htm
    Brian,

Just curious - I had always thought AMX released new things at CEDIA, and not InfoComm - is this true?

Also, does anyone know if AMX plans to release anything at InfoComm? I don't need specifics, but just yes or no - anything new? What should we be expecting this year in general? Product improvement or new products?
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I was asked to go but turned it down, maybe next year once my kids are older. It would be great to meet the people that post here.
    jjames wrote: »
    Product improvement or new products?

I'm still waiting for my CEDIA products!
  • New products
    jjames wrote: »
    Brian,

Just curious - I had always thought AMX released new things at CEDIA, and not InfoComm - is this true?

It has been an industry tradition to introduce new products at InfoComm, and almost expected. AMX has been introducing new products at both shows for many years now.

For the first time this year InfoComm and NSCA have combined to host one much larger show. It should be interesting.

New products...that's always confidential until the day of the show.
  • Dude!
    I'm still waiting for my CEDIA products!

That hurts. I thought we were all friends here.
    That hurts. I thought we were all friends here.

We are all friends. As friends we can can handle the truth. I had a nice install that I lost due to the major delays of the color Viewstat and the Metreau E-com.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Who can we expect to attend InfoComm this year in Las Vegas? Anyone interested in an informal get together as a group?
    I'll be there. I'm interested in a group get together also.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    It has been an industry tradition to introduce new products at InfoComm, and almost expected. AMX has been introducing new products at both shows for many years now.

New products...that's always confidential until the day of the show.

Hmmm. The secret is there is no secret. AMX at InfoComm 2008 is a bust. AMX seems to think that "new products" means purchasing other companies to do various A/V functions.

Here are the AMX headlines from InfoComm 2008

* AMX Acquires Video Content Management Company, Launches IPTV Solution
    * AMX Develops Pre-Packaged Digital Signage Solutions for Inspired Signage Line
    * AMX Expands Endeleo Distributed Media Line with Support for up to Eight Multi-Format Sources
    * AMX Adds 72 Fixed Matrix Switchers to AutoPatch Product Line
    * AMX Adds Location-Based Asset Tracking, New Reports to Resource Management Suite
    * AMX First in Industry to Enable Complete Control System Configuration via Touch Panel

Let's see...4 items not related to control systems, one item related to RFID tracking, and one item that is geared toward taking work away from me.

Cre$tron has new touchpanels, remotes, and controllers. Also, my "inside man" reports that you can now control a cres system from a Flash file running on a computer.

Don't get me wrong, one of the things I respect about AMX is their (control system) product are solid and the product line is easy to understand. They don't have lots of slightly different models and they don't release new products haphazardly.

<rant>
    But how long has the 8400 been out? 5 years? It was well developed and they have made incremental improvements - but 5 years? "New" technology in my mind can't be more than a year to two old. What has AMX been working on in the 8" wireless touchpanel area for the last 5 years? If AMX wants to retain their status as one of the leading control systems companies they can't rest on their laurels in *any* area for 5 years.

When has their been a major release of NetLinx Studio or TPDesign? Not since I've been programming AMX systems. (Only three years, but still!)

When has AMX released an "out of the blue" new control system feature that made us say COOL!! ? NDT-VKP - Virtual Keypad? Nice try!
    </rant>

I love AMX. It is just disappointing to see all the headlines pour out of headquarters announcing all these acquisitions and "new products", and feel like our control systems have been abandoned.

My hope is that by AMX expanding their A/V offerings that it will grow the company and allow the control system R&D to expand and flourish.

My fear is that by AMX expanding their A/V offerings that it will grow the company and allow the control system R&D to fade into oblivion.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I agree, where are the "Cool" control products.
    Programming a system from a TP sounds nice unless you have a product that isn't supported. Or you are a programmer. Although I see lots of people trying the "design via TP" and then calling me to fix it. :)
    I need a new touch panel that makes the customer want to spend more money. We need more TPs like the 5200.
    The AMX Infocomm announcements were very disappointing.
    Maybe they are waiting until Friday to show the cool new hardware and software.
  • TrikinCurtTrikinCurt Posts: 158
    Or more likely CEDIA. Which is fine and just around the corner, except CEDIA products from last year are just starting to ship now!

Kenny wrote: »
    I agree, where are the "Cool" control products.
    Programming a system from a TP sounds nice unless you have a product that isn't supported. Or you are a programmer. Although I see lots of people trying the "design via TP" and then calling me to fix it. :)
    I need a new touch panel that makes the customer want to spend more money. We need more TPs like the 5200.
    The AMX Infocomm announcements were very disappointing.
    Maybe they are waiting until Friday to show the cool new hardware and software.