Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

ENV-VST-C ViewStat Color Communicating Thermostat Protocol

It?s my understanding that the new color Viewstats sit on Axlink. Does that mean we?ll have a set of SEND_COMMANDs, SEND_STRINGs, and CHANNELs available to write our own Netlinx module? Will there be an AMX Netlinx or DUET module? I?m just wondering what my options are.

Thanks.

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Those are the million dollar questions. All that is known is that they are Axlink devices. There have been rumors that the presence of the stat on your system will unlock the iWeather comm module.

The latest date that I have received for filling of my back order of the thermostats is mid-June. We'll see.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    The last I heard is that i!-Weather is most likely NOT going to be included in the originally announced price. If this is true, then I won't be in a rush to try out the product. The homes we normally deal with have very large multi-zone HVAC systems with combinations of different sources. All of these systems are handled by the HVAC Contractor and recently, we have been dealing a lot with systems like Tekmar (if they ever release the stupid interface module) because they are designed for such systems.

The way we were going to explore using the AMX thermostat was to put one in the Master Bedroom (or Kitchen, or Master Bath) so that the client could easily see the weather forecast (and maybe some other data if we could populate the display through code :) ) We were going to also use the temp sensor to grab the outdoor temp. This all coupled with i! Weather made it an automatic addition into our jobs. Without i!-Weather, this moves the product into an optional addition and as such, it moves down my priority list.

I really hope they keep the i!-Weather option, but I'm prepared for it to be released without it.

Jeff
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Although by themselves I think the new stats are cool I don't understand the logic of making them for a system w/ TPs. Wasn't the pupose of the TPs to replace all these wall warts and consoladate all interfaces onto the TP but now they're making fancy wall warts that are almost a TP just for temperature control. I don't get it. Shouldn't we just keep the weather and temp control on the TPs and make the temps sensors invisable?
    The original offering of the thermostat has a free three year iWeather subscription. At some point they did recind that offer. I placed my order for the stat immediately after the show at which they were introduced. I will be getting my free subscription! ;)
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    It?s my understanding that the new color Viewstats sit on Axlink. Does that mean we?ll have a set of SEND_COMMANDs, SEND_STRINGs, and CHANNELs available to write our own Netlinx module? Will there be an AMX Netlinx or DUET module? I?m just wondering what my options are.
    I'm still wondering. These are supposed to ship this month. Does anyone have any new news? I can't find any documentation regarding interfacing to these devices.

TIA
    Suffice to sat that "Shipping this month" was the story since the winter. I was just informed that mine that were supposed to ship this week are now further delayed until August. Typically, once you see firmware posted on the website, hardware is not too far behind.
  • DenisDenis Posts: 163
    Viewstat communicating

HI

I just include an ENV-VST-C in my program, I include iWEATHER module 'AMX_iWeather_Comm_dr1_0_0' and now what I have to do to get communication, the service is activated.

How the thermostat can get weather for my aera wihtout install iWEATHER module and screen.?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Denis wrote: »
    HI

I just include an ENV-VST-C in my program, I include iWEATHER module 'AMX_iWeather_Comm_dr1_0_0' and now what I have to do to get communication, the service is activated.

How the thermostat can get weather for my aera wihtout install iWEATHER module and screen.?

I'm in the process of programming some right now. A couple notes in general for everyone. Firstly, the i!-Weather module (duet version) is not complete. In the current version I have several of the functions are not working. those include browse by US, browse by world, enter zip code, enter station ID. In short, the new module does nat have a way for the user to browse to anywhere. In my case I went ahead and rolled my own.

The module doesn't have the ability to go to the i!Weather server and download the current list of weather station IDs. they do include a .csv file that you can program in yourself. I wasn't feeling that hip to it. So, I'm putting it off until later.

The module for the T-stats is a bit differnt than their usual duet fair.

Basically you create a 41xxx virtual device. The first T-Stat shows up on port 1 and the next T-Stats on ports 2,3,4,etc... The T-Stats are Axlink devices.

You have to send a command to the module to let it know that there is more than one T-Stat. Another little concern of mineis that the 1st T-Stat must be there to initiate the whole mess setting up. Once it has established comms with the first T-Stat, then the module will run and see all the others. Needless to say, that first T-Stat must be reliable or the whole thing doesn't work.

So, far the module seems to be working alright. I don't have it in a real house yet to know. We do this installation in May. I'll know more then.
    Use the Netlinx module and write your own comm to the color Viewstat. The Duet module is rubbish.

Two problems with the color Viewstat:

1. Cannot express relative humidity. It is input by means of an Axlink level, therefore must be an integer value. RH is usually expressed in hundreths.

2. There is no "Moon" image for a clear night. My top dollar-paying customers see a sun on the display on clear nights!

Details Details!
    Here is the Netlinx iWeather Test include with some added code to support the color Viewstat.

I wrote this a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it covers all parameters of weather display on the stat.