Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

iPhone / PDA Compatibility?

Anyone know about future compatibility of logging onto AMX touch panel devices via an Apple iPhone? Currently I can use the iPhone to browse right to the login page and then that is where I get stopped. Is there currently a PDA phone on the market that can log into AMX Classroom Manager and control the touch panels?

Thanks,

EC

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I've heard of being able to "Jailbreak" an iPhone, allowing it to run a VNC client. I have no first hand experience with it. However, if that is possible, you could connect to G4 touchpanel.
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Doubt you'll get a phone to access panels, but perhaps this is an option?

http://www.cepro.com/article/airremote_for_iphone_greatest_little_tv_remote/

- Chip
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Looks like there are more worth while inovations coming from Global Cache and HAI then............. At least for the consumer market.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Chip Moody wrote: »
    Doubt you'll get a phone to access panels, but perhaps this is an option?

http://www.cepro.com/article/airremote_for_iphone_greatest_little_tv_remote/

- Chip

Once they open the Apple Application Store they'll have a "legal" VNC client and then it shouldn't be a problem to log into a panel. I have this working on a Nokia N800 fine (in fact probably better then the iphone as the resolution matches the 700vi panels that I'm logging into).
  • cmatkincmatkin Posts: 86
    I have an iPhone and run the VNC client software. This works all the time. :)

Regards
    Craig
    cmatkin wrote: »
    I have an iPhone and run the VNC client software. This works all the time. :)

Craig

I don't YET have an iPhone. Could you tell me more about the process of getting VNC running on the iPhone?

Thanks.
  • dmurray14dmurray14 Posts: 80
    Guys,

Check it out! If you go into the "App Store" look for a program called iLoveControl. Claims to work with C-tron and AMX. Here's the website:

http://www.ilovecontrol.com

and the yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/iloveControl/

Looks like we just need to get a module coded for it...
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I looked at it a few days ago. I just don't have an iPhone or touch to load it up on.

I would love to dig into it soon though!

My only concern is actually updating the app for what is actually being used with the system.

Ryan
  • GuiLinkGuiLink Posts: 5
    CommandFusion

Our app will be available from the AppStore within the next two weeks (depending on how long Apple takes to processor new application submissions).

We have created an iPhone & iPod Touch app that renders GUI's designed in our own guiDesigner software (demo video available at http://www.commandfusion.com/products/view/guidesigner), and allows control of AMX. This means no limitation on the GUI design, other than your imagination and graphics skills of course :)

All we need is some clever AMX programmers to team up and create the Server Module for AMX that uses our protocol for communication over TCP. We are hoping some talented people from all walks of home automation can create backend modules to allow iViewer to control a variety of home automation hardware, including of course AMX.

A PDF document outlining the communication protocol can be found here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/commandfusion/files

The protocol was based on controlling that 'other' home automation hardware that you folks don't like talking about ;) But I'm sure it can also be easily adapted to AMX.

If anyone is interested in helping create the AMX module, or if you just want to provide some feedback, please do so via this thread or our Google Group - http://groups.google.com/group/commandfusion

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
    CommandFusion / GuiLink
    GuiLink wrote: »
    Our app will be available from the AppStore within the next two weeks (depending on how long Apple takes to processor new application submissions).

We have created an iPhone & iPod Touch app that renders GUI's designed in our own guiDesigner software (demo video available at http://www.commandfusion.com/products/view/guidesigner), and allows control of AMX. This means no limitation on the GUI design, other than your imagination and graphics skills of course :)

All we need is some clever AMX programmers to team up and create the Server Module for AMX that uses our protocol for communication over TCP. We are hoping some talented people from all walks of home automation can create backend modules to allow iViewer to control a variety of home automation hardware, including of course AMX.

A PDF document outlining the communication protocol can be found here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/commandfusion/files

The protocol was based on controlling that 'other' home automation hardware that you folks don't like talking about ;) But I'm sure it can also be easily adapted to AMX.

If anyone is interested in helping create the AMX module, or if you just want to provide some feedback, please do so via this thread or our Google Group - http://groups.google.com/group/commandfusion

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
    CommandFusion / GuiLink

Looks cool, how much is it?
    We are aiming for $199 per device (iPhone / iPod Touch) depending on the number of control systems we can support. So the more developers get together to develop backend modules for various systems, the cheaper we can make our product.

Jarrod
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Who should I contact to hear what you are offering to pay for these back end modules and what your requirements are for the modules?

Jeff
    Jeff: Please contact me via our website: www.commandfusion.com/support/contact
    A copy of your message will go to me directly.

I'd rather not post my email on forums, spam is evil!

We are offering developers a few free device registrations, depending on the quality of the final module.

There are two people already interested in working on an AMX module, so I will introduce you to the others via email if you are also interested in helping out in the programming.

Thanks,

Jarrod
  • i Phone control

At the moment VNC looks to be the best option. I have it running on my home system and one client site with out to many problems. The client site has a dedicated 7" wall mount panel mounted in a 19" Rack panel that is just used for I phone and Ipod touch VNC connections.

Has anyone tried writting an aplication to simulate an AMX panel connecting to a master on port 1319. This should be possible if someone has the time to sit with a packet sniffer and analyse communication between a touch panel and the master. You could then write software for the iphone or other device to send push and level control etc.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Has anyone tried writting an aplication to simulate an AMX panel connecting to a master on port 1319. This should be possible if someone has the time to sit with a packet sniffer and analyse communication between a touch panel and the master. You could then write software for the iphone or other device to send push and level control etc.

I've watched the packets before, nothing I want to sit and decipher. Very doable though, and the protocol doesn't look too bad. I'd imagine someone could do it easily if he / she had a little bit of time.
    At the moment VNC looks to be the best option. I have it running on my home system and one client site with out to many problems. The client site has a dedicated 7" wall mount panel mounted in a 19" Rack panel that is just used for I phone and Ipod touch VNC connections.

The problem with VNC right now is that the only VNC app out for the iPhone requires the VNC server have a password. As I'm sure you know the MVPs don't...
    GuiLink wrote: »
    Jeff: Please contact me via our website: www.commandfusion.com/support/contact
    A copy of your message will go to me directly.

I'd rather not post my email on forums, spam is evil!

We are offering developers a few free device registrations, depending on the quality of the final module.

There are two people already interested in working on an AMX module, so I will introduce you to the others via email if you are also interested in helping out in the programming.

Thanks,

Jarrod

Any more updates? I'd really like to mess around with it and see what I can get working. Played with iLoveControl briefly but as of now yours looks more powerful.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    dmurray14 wrote: »
    The problem with VNC right now is that the only VNC app out for the iPhone requires the VNC server have a password. As I'm sure you know the MVPs don't...

Any more updates? I'd really like to mess around with it and see what I can get working. Played with iLoveControl briefly but as of now yours looks more powerful.

I thought there was an option to set a password on the touch panel for the VNC connection? I will have to take a look when I have a chance.

Jeff
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I thought there was an option to set a password on the touch panel for the VNC connection? I will have to take a look when I have a chance.

Jeff

There is, just set it up a few minutes ago. All G4 panels can be password protected along with changing the VNC port.
  • Just looking at a job here and we have 20 instance of VNC running about half control AMX panel and Half provide control of apple macs from the touch panel all on different ports and all password protected. I believe there was on release of firmware for the 8400 that had VNC but the password box was greyed out but that was a couple of years ago. If you have any panels running that its time to upgrade.

Simon
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    An interesting issue that I'm facing is the security of VNC. As a policy it is "forbidden" here at my work due to the ease of hacking it, even with a password. (Our IT security folk here are probably stricter than most.) However, I have no alternative to VNC when trying to control the AMX panels. Fortunately they haven't beaten me up over it... yet. :eek: I feel it is only a matter of time.

I'm investigating the possibility of writing an iPhone WebApp (using Apple's Dashcode) then have the AMX host the pages via a "Dashcode" module via non-standard port. The hope is to have the module do some basic authentication/security checks with the client, and serve the pages from a /Dashcode dir on the AMX flash. Depending on the pages requested, the module will react like a touch panel (with channel & level changes). Using Dashcode to create the GUI results in the WebApp looking like a proper iPhone application rather than an AMX panel shoe-horned into an iPhone. If I get it working I'll let the forum know.

Frankly, as far as touch panels go, the iPhone/iPod Touch is a beautiful interface. I was a bit disappointed to see the G5 panels still using capacitive overlay in a heavily recessed plastic housing. It's starting to feel a bit "last century". If my solution works I don't think I'll be spec-ing a MVP again.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
    CommandFusion update

Just a little update: We have 3 AMX programmers working on the module, and from all reports from them it will fully support our guiDesigner software. It should be available not long after our iPhone app is available from the AppStore (which depends on Apples speed in approving the submission).

Our iPhone app is just going through some final stress testing, and I am very happy with the way its all turning out.

Annuello:
    I have spent hours on end working on a web app for controlling C***tron via iPhone (or any web browser for that matter) using all kinds of polling techniques, but was never happy with the responsiveness of updates sent from the processor. I would assume AMX would have the same problem, as its an issue on the web browser end. Long Polling dynamic javascript requests worked best, but was not something I would deliver to a client. For our webViewer we ended up going with XMLSockets using flash, which is amazingly responsive when you consider its a web app. Only issue with that is it doesn't work on iPhone (due to no flash support), but thats where the iViewer application comes in and really shines. Another thing to consider is the processing power of the iPhone in regards to javascript - it can bog down a bit.

Just my two cents :)
    annuello wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed to see the G5 panels still using capacitive overlay in a heavily recessed plastic housing.

G5????????????
    My fault, I'm sure you're right. My G4 has an old firmware version on it, didn't see anything for setting the password. Must've updated it...
  • CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    has anyone been able to use the mocha lite application from the app store to connect to a panel?

I have tried several different sites that I can VNC via laptop, but not the iphone.

Does one need to step up to the full version to see results?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    G5????????????

Sorry, I guess I meant the MVP-5200i. My mistake. :o My disappointment with it still stands.
    CT-Dallas wrote: »
    has anyone been able to use the mocha lite application from the app store to connect to a panel?

I have tried several different sites that I can VNC via laptop, but not the iphone.

Does one need to step up to the full version to see results?

Thanks,
    Chris

Yep, same for me. Just sits at "VNC Negotiating..."
  • CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    just to excluded intranet vs internet, I tested connecting with mocha lite yesterday at a client location and it still sat at the negotiating screen.

I have heard great things about vinevnc for mac, so it is my hope that they too will release an app for the phone.

Chris
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    dmurray14 wrote: »
    Yep, same for me. Just sits at "VNC Negotiating..."

Same here.... :(
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Colour Depth

If you change the colour depth on the Mocha VNC application it gets through the VNC Connection negotiating message....so that's the good news. The bad news is that although it appears to have connected I don't get anything on screen. Has anyone got Mocha VNC working with a TP?
  • iLoveControl AMX for iPhone and iPod Touch

Dear AMX Forum,

Just wanted to say hi and share the good news about iLoveControl for AMX.

iLoveControl has newly released AMX sample code for iPhone and iPod Touch users. iLoveControl has been available in the App Store since it opened and we have a large following in our yahoo group at:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/iloveControl/

Our website is:

http://www.iLoveControl.com/

And our email is:

ilovecontrol@mac.com

Please try our AMX code and let us know what you think. FYI, C*estron programmers have been doing quite a bit of integration already with iLoveControl and they are reporting very good feedback in the way of $$$ for programming the back end. Perhaps you can also take advantage of this ;-)

Felipe