Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Post revision

I'm not sure if this is a new feature, or a feature I just finally got to see.

I just edited a post (grammatical error) and after I fixed it, it said the usual at the bottom of my post: "edited by jjames at 9:46" or something to the likes. However - it was a hyperlink. I clicked on it and was able to choose which version I wanted (old or active) and also could compare the two.

Is this a new feature? If so - thanks! I like the idea that I can "undo" what I just did without having to remember what I did. ;)

Comments

• ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    This could be interesting in heated threads where people post something, later wishing they hadn't -- so they edit the post.... ;)

Or is the hyperlink only for the poster?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Considering the vBulletin copyright notice extends to 2009, I'd say there has been an update this year. I tend not to edit my posts much, so I never noticed when that feature appeared, but it's clear we are being kept up-to-date.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Considering the vBulletin copyright notice extends to 2009, I'd say there has been an update this year. I tend not to edit my posts much, so I never noticed when that feature appeared, but it's clear we are being kept up-to-date.

The only reason I tend to edit is to correct spelling or grammar errors. I tend to not edit my posts when angry. I have a little rule with myself on that. If my hands are shaking when I'm typing, I'm too angry to post. So, I don't post at all if my hands are shaking.

I would hope that the feature doesn't allow for going back to previous edits. I believe we should all be gracious enough to allow for people to take back what they say.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    It kind of odd though when you received your email notification of a thread you're subscribe to only to find it's no longer on the forum when you decide to respond. Unfortunately you can't always take back what you've said since it has likely alreadly been emailed to the subscribers of that thread. If it's something that pissed me off I'll post with the email in quotes if it's missing on the forum but that's only happened once.

Maybe there's a need for an email notifications delay or better yet don't post anything you'll later regret. Although that's hard sometimes.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I handle my posts along the same lines as Eric. I try to avoid angry posts, but instead of not posting, I write exactly what I am thinking and what I want to say. Then I will read it back and decide if I should click the submit reply button. If I feel it to be a little rough, or more importantly, counter-productive, I will try to edit it to still get my point or thought across but in a more positive or less abrasive manner. When all else fails, I just click on the new posts button and hope someone else found a way to express my thoughts in a better way :)

Regardless the outcome, simply typing the reply helps me get it out of my system so I can move on and return to work. To this point, I haven't accidentally clicked the submit button, but I 'm sure it will happen.... that's when editing is nice ;)

Jeff
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'll make corrections, but I won't take things back. Having administered forums myself, I've come to the conclusion that it's much the same as saying something verbally: you can never really un-say it. And if someone is offended, it offends them even more that they respond to something, then you go back and edit it out, making a fool of them.

So my personal rules are as follows:

1) Never post when angry or upset
    2) Never post anything you wouldn't feel free to say to someone's face
    3) Vet responses carefully (this is the one I'm most likely to break; my prime forum times are first thing in the morning when I am still fuzzy, and when I am taking a coding break ... when I am fuzzy in a different way; so I'm not usually at the top of my game when on the forums, and I really have to work to be careful)
    4) If any of the above rules are broken, suck it up and take whatever repercussions follow. If a correction is needed, or an apology, put it in a separate post. In the odd case where a minor correction is needed, then I might edit the original, but that is rare, and if it's anything more than a spelling correction, I'll note at the bottom what I changed.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    2) Never post anything you wouldn't feel free to say to someone's face

I have learned (the hard way) that this doesn't always hold true. The problem is that occasionally something is said with a certain connotation that does not translate in the forms. When were are speaking to people, we use different tones and inflections to indicate our feelings. When we are speaking in person, we also have the added benefit of reading body language. The lack of this information can lead to misinterpretation. Sarcasm being missed, or sarcasm being interpreted when not intended are common. (which is why I try to temper my use of sarcasm in the forums.... I said try, not succeed :) ). I have seen a simple question be interpreted as a snide and demeaning comment that started an all out flame war until the poster had a chance to clarify the question.

I suppose that is the other problem with forum posting. When communicating in person, responses are immediate and if there is a misunderstanding (most of the time) it can be cleared up immediately. In the forums, it may be a few hours or days before a poster can clarify a statement and this can lead to wild speculation by other posters as to the original intent. In the least, the person that questions the intent is left to stew about the intent and possibly blow it into proportions that are not needed.

Jeff

P.S.
    I am acknowledging right now that I am not a psych[anything]ist, and I have not researched these ideas. I am speaking purely from personal experience derived from this and other forums.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I have learned (the hard way) that this doesn't always hold true. The problem is that occasionally something is said with a certain connotation that does not translate in the forms. When were are speaking to people, we use different tones and inflections to indicate our feelings. When we are speaking in person, we also have the added benefit of reading body language. The lack of this information can lead to misinterpretation. Sarcasm being missed, or sarcasm being interpreted when not intended are common. (which is why I try to temper my use of sarcasm in the forums.... I said try, not succeed :) ). I have seen a simple question be interpreted as a snide and demeaning comment that started an all out flame war until the poster had a chance to clarify the question.

I suppose that is the other problem with forum posting. When communicating in person, responses are immediate and if there is a misunderstanding (most of the time) it can be cleared up immediately. In the forums, it may be a few hours or days before a poster can clarify a statement and this can lead to wild speculation by other posters as to the original intent. In the least, the person that questions the intent is left to stew about the intent and possibly blow it into proportions that are not needed.

Jeff

P.S.
    I am acknowledging right now that I am not a psych[anything]ist, and I have not researched these ideas. I am speaking purely from personal experience derived from this and other forums.

I've long lobbied for some international emoticon to be made for sarcasm. I suppose the English wish we Americans could understand the 'ironic' emoticon too. alas and anon...
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I've long lobbied for some international emoticon to be made for sarcasm.
    >:-|
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I suppose the English wish we Americans could understand the 'ironic' emoticon too.
    :-f

Let's start an international convention, today!
  • What about those posts where you look at it and think 'nah, that sounded dumb' then you go to re-do it where it sounds more intelligent? Now everyone can see how dumb you were originally. I like "preview", but sometimes I need another few minutes after I submit...
    :D

--John
    John Gonzales wrote:
    Last edited by John Gonzales; Today at 02:16 PM. Reason: Can you access the original unedited version?
    I can't!
  • vining wrote: »
    I can't!

I'm glad! This new "feature" was going to significantly impact my post count :).

Here's an old one of yours Dan: http://www.amxforums.com/showpost.php?p=12831&postcount=1. I couldn't access your edit either. Does yours show up for you?

--John
    Hmmm, I couldn't access my edited post either.