Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Blu-Ray with RS-232

2»

Comments

• shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Well it could be easier. 1) It's RGB output, so you still need a converter to go into a component switch, 2) there is no line driver built in, so you can't put it at the equipment and run it over RGB cables without an amp.

Kevin D.
  • invostarinvostar Posts: 9
    Has anyone had a problem getting power on to work with this module and a 3800BDCI with rs-232? That is the only function that doesn't seem to work...
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    invostart wrote:
    Has anyone had a problem getting power on to work with this module and a 3800BDCI with rs-232?
    Of course this had to be the 1st command I tried to see if the connection was good. It didn't work so pulled that module and tried a different one since I don't have the protocol and I figured one of the existing modules should work and of course the new module using the same command didn't work either so again I checked my connections and then went to hyperterminal to make sure I was getting the string to the player. I then decided to power up the unit and try a transport command and it worked fine. I then found this thread wanted to shoot myself in the head since I had several posts in it.
    Ok, there's an option in the setup menu that allows you to change the remote control from Denon1 to Denon2 so I selected 2. Now the Power On command works but when using the IR remote for anything at the front of the device I now get Denon1 displayed and nothing happens.

Does any one have the protocol for this thing (DENON DVD3800BDCI)? I have no serial command to select "setup" that I can see so how do I get back in and reset this should I need to?
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    vining wrote: »
    Ok, there's an option in the setup menu that allows you to change the remote control from Denon1 to Denon2 so I selected 2. Now the Power On command works but when using the IR remote for anything at the front of the device I now get Denon1 displayed and nothing happens.

Does any one have the protocol for this thing (DENON DVD3800BDCI)? I have no serial command to select "setup" that I can see so how do I get back in and reset this should I need to?

To switch from Denon 1 to Denon 2 you have to hold a special sequence of buttons on the remote. Menu and 1,2,3 were involved but I would have to look it up in the manual again. The setup command is {$45,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00} without stx, etx or the checksum. I am pretty sure I downloaded the protocol, but I can send it to you if you need it.
    Paul
  • vining wrote: »

Here you go.
    Thanks!

Do either of you know what enabled the RS232 Pwr On command to work. I changed the remote from 1 to 2 and I change some power save setting and it started to work but I don't know which if any of those changes did the trick. It was late and I was then locked out of set up so I haven't been able to test it.
    Yes its the usual power save setting that is the culprit. I dont recall where in the menu system it is but you will find it. You will also have to turn on the status setting which is this string {$71,$32,$00,$00,$00,$00} if you want feedback from the device. After that you should be good to go. I used Tonys module that he so nicely posted and modified it for my needs, and the feedback from this unit is great. Since these units take so long to start, its nice having the feedback as to whats going on on the touch panel, the audio stream, type of disc etc. It will also work with McIntosh DVD/CD players with a bit of modification so it is worth the effort to get it fleshed out.
    Paul
    Thanks for the additional info.

I've been using the AMX DVD-2900 module and maybe the 1930 module and they're all about the same including this with some subtle differences in capabilities and commands. I was actually reading the McIntosh manual last year and noticed the resemblence and then compared manual to manual and they were identical so I used the 2900 module and when I finally connected to it it actual replied as a DVD-2930. The McIntosh players are a little flacky though (2 bad ones this year) and I'd prefer a pure Denon over the Denon in a fancy McIntosh case any day.

I probably would have stayed using the 2900 module if this player responded to my initial power on command so in a way it was a mixed blessing cuz now I'm using Tony's module too which I wouldn't have found if I didn't have this problem. Now I won't have to deal with the lock comm module BS and with modifications I can make work for every one of their players.

Thanks for posting this Tony!
  • Little Help - Marantz BD8002

I have looked over the protocol for the Marantz BD8002 and it matches this module that Tony has put together pretty nicely. I am having a bit of trouble, though just sending some basic commands via CONTROL A DEVICE: SEND STRING. Has anyone used this player right out of the box and tried to pause a CD with:
    "$02, $42, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $03, $34, $35"
    I get the NAK ($15) returned :( I have tried Tony's module, and the player seems a bit finicky on pause/play/stop (all that I have tried so far)...sometimes it works, mostly it does not.

Should I look at using a different module for this Marantz BluRay player?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    roognation wrote: »
    I have looked over the protocol for the Marantz BD8002 and it matches this module that Tony has put together pretty nicely. I am having a bit of trouble, though just sending some basic commands via CONTROL A DEVICE: SEND STRING. Has anyone used this player right out of the box and tried to pause a CD with:
    I get the NAK ($15) returned :( I have tried Tony's module, and the player seems a bit finicky on pause/play/stop (all that I have tried so far)...sometimes it works, mostly it does not.

There is a bug in NS2 that considers hex strings with $00 in them from Control a Device an end of line character so it won't process anything after that. Should work fine from code though. I haven't found Tony's module finicky at all, so there is likely something else going on there.
    Paul
  • roognation wrote: »

I was never able to control the Denon through "Control a Device." If you're getting a NAK I would verify that the checksum is calculated in the same way for the two players and that the start and end bits are the same.

I haven't had any issues with the module being buggy.
  • roognation wrote: »

Sorry Gents, I was using out-of-the-box firmware on a NI-3101-SIG. Well, let's just say, lesson learned. All the serial ports were suspect. Updated firmware, and module seems to be online, Thanks!
  • Hello

I calculate how BCCL and BCCH

pause: $ 42, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00
    ETX: $ 03
    -> Added $ 45 (right?)

BCCL?
    BCCH?

$ 02, $ 42, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 03, $ 45

does not

Hannover!
  • The protocol wants the CKS 2 bytes converted to ASCII. $45 is the CKS but High order is 4 which is $34 or '4' ASCII and the low order is 5 which is $35 or '5'. "$02,$42,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$03, '45'" would be what it would look like with an ASCII representation of "$34,$35".
  • Thank you, now I have it kapiert

Pause: $ 02, $ 42, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 00, $ 03, $ 34, $ 35
    $ 45 = Ascii 4 = $ 35, Ascii 5 = $ 35

unfortunately does not have the same problem as ,roognation`
    Will NAK ($ 15) Retur
    Tested with "Realterm"

Denon DVD 2500
  • How did you config the port for RealTerm?
  • Thank you

Parity to "even" converted

Works!

You're the best
  • DJPickDJPick Posts: 12
    Sharp BDHP50U player

I am currently using the Sharp bluray player with RS-232 on a job. Although they have the protocol listed in their manual, they only commands they give you are Power On/Off, Play, Stop, FFwd, Rew.

I searched online and I haven't found the complete protocol anywhere, but I knew that couldn't be it. By guessing, I was able to figure out most of the basic transport buttons except, the Up arrow:

cCmdStr[DVR_PLAY] ="'DPLY ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_STOP] ="'DSTP ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_PAUSE] ="'DPUS ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_NEXT] ="'DSKF ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_BACK] ="'DSKB ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_REW] ="'DREV ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_FWD] ="'DFWD ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_PWR_ON] ="'POWR1 ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_PWR_OFF] ="'POWR0 ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_DISC_MENU] ="'DTMN ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_UP] ="' ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_DN] ="'DDWN ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_RIGHT] ="'DRGT ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_LEFT] ="'DLFT ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_OK] ="'DENT ',$0D,$0A"

The transport controls must have a D*** followed by 4 blank spaces. Since 'UP' is just 2 letters, it makes it much harder to guess. I can't figure out for the life of me what the up arrow must be, and I've tried just about everything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    DJPick wrote: »
    The transport controls must have a D*** followed by 4 blank spaces. Since 'UP' is just 2 letters, it makes it much harder to guess. I can't figure out for the life of me what the up arrow must be, and I've tried just about everything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Did you try DUP with a 5 spaces instead of 4? Maybe DNUP, DSUP DAUP? Actually, just write a quick program that on every button push it increments the letter by one.

Actually, does the player give you an error message on a bad command? If so, you could write a quick program that goes through all iterations of "'D',x,y,z,' '" and list only the commands that don't return an error.

Just some thoughts.

Jeff
    Yes, I was thinking about trying that. Unfortunately, I can't try it until Monday, because I'm getting ready for a basic demo for the President of the company. I'll let everyone know what I find! I'm also going to check the protocol for other Sharp devices because it seems similar to the codes for some of the LCDs.

Thanks!
    Protocol for Sharp BDHP50U

I just wanted to give an update. Another programmer I work with wrote a program to test every possible command, and find the ones that work. Below are the basic commands that we are using. **Note: All the commands starting with 'D' have 4 blank spaces after the 4th character. The power commands only have 3 blank spaces.

cCmdStr[DVR_PLAY] ="'DPLY ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_STOP] ="'DSTP ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_PAUSE] ="'DPUS ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_NEXT] ="'DSKF ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_BACK] ="'DSKB ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_REW] ="'DREV ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_FWD] ="'DFWD ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_PWR_ON] ="'POWR1 ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_PWR_OFF] ="'POWR0 ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_DISC_MENU] ="'DTMN ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_UP] ="''DUPK ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_DN] ="'DDWN ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_RIGHT] ="'DRGT ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_LEFT] ="'DLFT ',$0D,$0A"
    cCmdStr[DVR_OK] ="'DENT ',$0D,$0A"

The following are all the commands that the Bluray player accepted, although we haven't had a chance to test the other ones out to see what they are for:

DAKY
    DANG
    DAUD
    DBKY
    DCKY
    DCLR
    DDKY
    DDSP
    DDWN
    DEJT
    DENT
    DEXT
    DFNC
    DFWD
    DLFT
    DLGT
    DPGN
    DPGP
    DPIP
    DPLY
    DPMN
    DPUS
    DREP
    DRET
    DREV
    DRGT
    DRPL
    DRPO
    DSBT
    DSET
    DSKB
    DSKF
    DSKS
    DSTP
    DTMN
    DUPK
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    ericmedley wrote: »
    It's true. We need a universally accepted sarcasm emoticon.

Here you go!
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10436071-71.html
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Colzie wrote: »

I saw this yesterday and posted it on a few other forums/boards that I haunt.

I noted that this whole thing is ironic on so many levels.

Can you really patent/copyright an emoticon for sarcasm? Can you really charge for it? I fully expect the four horsemen of the apocalypse any day now... :D
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    R&D, product development, marketing...these things aren't free you know

Oops, haven't paid up yet, I can't convey that I'm being sarcastic

And again.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    Best BluRay Player on Market

The best reviewed BluRay player on market with RS-232 is the Oppo BDP-83. Plus there is an axi file you can purchase from http://modulemarketplace.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=32 which has all types of feedback. The price is not bad either. You could also go with a high end name for about 6 times the price from lexicon which is a BD-30. The above link to the include file should also control the Lexicon BluRay player.
  • http://www.lexicon.com/products/specs.asp?ID=27

Supports all region discs + digital and analog outputs + rs232 control.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    http://www.lexicon.com/products/specs.asp?ID=27

Supports all region discs + digital and analog outputs + rs232 control.

Check this out before you start charging $3400 for a bluray player.
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1