Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

NS3 Beta Test Forum!

Quite frankly I could really give a rats a$$ about beta testing NS3 and the posts I made in that now private forum were just in fun. I do however enjoy reading the posts made by the beta testers and everyone at least with ACE clearance should be able to make comments about what is posted. I idea of keeping it private is how shall I say this gently, idiotic.

Regardless of whether we have a beta copy of NS3 most us here on the forum have a vested interest in these discussions and posts made by the testers. We the non testing forum members should be able to review their findings and add useful comments and list any desired features we feel are lacking.

I think alot of the recent poor equipment designs and product perfromance can be attributed to this sort of closed door decision making policy. Is AMX afraid of getting too many ideas? Not that I personally have any good ideas but I'm sure there are other forum members that do.

Comments

• ondrovicondrovic Posts: 217
    vining wrote: »
    Quite frankly I could really give a rats a$$ about beta testing NS3 and the posts I made in that now private forum were just in fun. I do however enjoy reading the posts made by the beta testers and everyone at least with ACE clearance should be able to make comments about what is posted. I idea of keeping it private is how shall I say this gently, idiotic.

Regardless of whether we have a beta copy of NS3 most us here on the forum have a vested interest in these discussions and posts made by the testers. We the non testing forum members should be able to review their findings and add useful comments and list any desired features we feel are lacking.

I think alot of the recent poor equipment designs and product perfromance can be attributed to this sort of closed door decision making policy. Is AMX afraid of getting too many ideas? Not that I personally have any good ideas but I'm sure there are other forum members that do.

I totally agree with you on this one, don't see why we can read and share I input on this.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I was looking forward to reading more about NS3...sorry to see that won't happen.

However, I do understand AMX's (probable) reasons. This isn't an open source project, or even a democracy. While AMX can listen to our requests, they by no means have to allow the entire world to take part in their product development.

Because it is BETA (even though that word has lost a lot of meaning over the last few years...is Gmail still beta??) AMX may not want a public forum that has a lot of "X isn't working properly". In general AMX has been good about releasing products that are complete -- allowing everyone to see the ugly steps along the way isn't necessary.
  • AvophileAvophile Posts: 70
    Darn.... someone had mentioned a good file comparison utility in the now-closed forum/threads.

Does anyone remember what it was?

OP?
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Avophile wrote: »
    Darn.... someone had mentioned a good file comparison utility in the now-closed forum/threads.

OP?
    From the other thread:
    I currently use the freeware version of ExamDiff from:
    http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp

I'm sure there are other diff programs but this is the one that I ran across and it does the job for me.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Avophile wrote: »

OP?
    I think this is what you're looking for.
    http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I don't remember the one that was mentioned, but I use Files Compare Tool. It isn't fancy, but it is free and it gets the job done.
  • AvophileAvophile Posts: 70
    Thanks, all!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Colzie wrote: »
    I don't remember the one that was mentioned, but I use Files Compare Tool. It isn't fancy, but it is free and it gets the job done.

Noth that I'm trying to 'out' anyone, but who are the approved beta testers for NS3? If we are not allowed to help, it would be nice to know who to refer ideas to.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote:
    Noth that I'm trying to 'out' anyone, but who are the approved beta testers for NS3?
    If you're starting a hit list you can start with these four known felons:

Joe Hebert :mad:
    Spire_Jeff :mad:
    jjames :mad:
    Thomas Hayes :mad:

I'll let you know as soon as I find their personal addresses and schedules. Be advised that his should be done in a manner that makes it look accidental.

On a serious note. Eric, with your contributions to the AMX community I'm sure they'd let you beta test if you request it.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159

I'll let you know as soon as I find their personal addresses and schedules. Be advised that his should be done in a manner that makes it look accidental.
    You?ll never catch me copper!
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    You?ll never catch me copper!
    I'll try to have eric go easy on you and maybe spare your wife and kids if you tell us where we can find your partners!
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    /me throws a "$00" in front of his name and disappears from sight!

Try to find me now! :P

Jeff
    Curses! Foiled again!
    Avophile wrote:
    I've posted this before but NotePad++ comes with a compare plugin. It a nice, free editor for some 30 languages or user define languages, preferences for each language, MIME tools, conversion tools and quite frankly a bunch of crap that's beyond me. Open files side by side just like NS2, code folding, spell checker. Did I mention it's free!
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Which version of NS3 are they testing? version 303?
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164

On a serious note. Eric, with your contributions to the AMX community I'm sure they'd let you beta test if you request it.

LoL, Once I'm able to log in and get a chance to even see this newer OS till than I plead the 5 th.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177

I'm not sure where to go to ask for this. I would indeed like to be involved. However, if I don't get invited to the dance, I'll not loose sleep over it. (watch as I deftly mix my metaphores...)

Where does one go to sign up?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Colzie wrote: »

I like Beyond Compare.
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    Seriously, I really wanted to be involved in this, and watched the Studio forum for an announcement. Now I find there was another forum created and there was no real notice given? WTF?

I even made an additional post in the "rumor confirmed" thread asking for an update, and got nothing. Given the problems with the last several versions of studio, you'd think they'd be a little more helpful when it comes to beta testing.

Regardless, if it's still available I'd love to test, but given posts here I'm assuming we're all locked out.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I bet a quick call to Tech Support or Doug Hall would get you the info that you need.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i emailed doug hall and never got a response... couldn't care less to be honest, but still....