Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

best "baby monitor"

We're are currently working on a project where the client has a need for room monitoring for the kids. When we wired the home, they really did not want a traditional intercom system but cameras installed in the kids bedrooms since they are on the upper level of the home and the Master Suite is located on the Main Level.

Our current intercom/camera system includes (2) Metreau Door Stations with cameras, touchpanel/Metreau VoIP Intercom, outside CCTV via analog cameras fed to a DVR and displayed to touchpanels via an AXIS piece, and Panasonic IP cameras in the children's rooms.

The Panasonic IP cameras have built-in microphones and can be monitored and controlled via a built-in web-browser that I believe is powered by Java. While our programmer has been able to view the cameras on the touchpanels, we are unable to pull audio or control (although that is not too important). Has anybody tried this and been successful?

Now, per the wife, monitoring via the touchpanels is a VERY important aspect to the system. We are currently researching other options to accomplish this. Here's what I have so far:

Either keep the Panasonic cameras or re-install the analog cameras that were originally in place and install NXD-500i's in the children's bedrooms and allow for more Upper Level control of the entire system (HVAC, lighitng, intercom, etc.).

Add white Metreau stations in the children's bedrooms for monitoring and intercom.

Research another camera solution that would allow for audio monitoring via the IP cameras.

Currently we feel the best solution is additional touchpanels in the home given the client will spring for the additional cost (which is about 70% certain they will).

What's everyone's thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    To summarize:

Is there any way to stream audio to an 8400i other than from another "i" panel or an ECOM?
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Colzie wrote: »
    To summarize:

Is there any way to stream audio to an 8400i other than from another "i" panel or an ECOM?
    I don?t think that?s possible.
    If it is, I?d sure like to hear about it.
  • Options
    DamienbDamienb Posts: 13
    My wife's going to give birth in roughly three months, this means im soon to be a parent... and yet... YET i find it kinda creepy the lengths this customer is going to just so they can monitor their kids o.O

How on earth will the kids be able to sneak dates home through the window! Or hack their christmas presents to somehow be faster and/or potentially explosive? *shrugs*

I dont think you should give us the ins and outs of the customer, but id like to pose a question to those parents on this board: "do you wish you had cameras in your kids room?"

To me it takes all the fun out of busting them in the act hehe

Damien
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Damienb wrote: »
    My wife's going to give birth in roughly three months, this means im soon to be a parent... and yet... YET i find it kinda creepy the lengths this customer is going to just so they can monitor their kids

I had cameras with audio in my kid's rooms when they were babies. You'll be amazed how your mind plays tricks on you as a new parent. Did you hear that? Was that the baby? Nice to be able to look in on them to see if nap time is over....or never started.

I think having cameras in kid's rooms past age 4-5 starts to get creepy -- and once they realize what is going on would make them feel like they don't have the right to privacy.
  • Options
    i dont want to hijack this chaps thread but it is an interesting time for me. Im not a baby person. My brother and his wife just had a baby: "Oh here damien, have a hold" hmmm "yeah umm no thanks"

Odd im not a baby person, think im more a toddler person, going to have a lot of fun i think. In the early stages though.... i value my sleep. I truly do.

:D

Damien
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've had no trouble streaming video from the Panasonic network cameras, but I could only get audio from them using a browser, and even then it had to be IE because it uses an ActiveX control. If you can pull audio from another source, they aren't a bad solution.

I generally recommend a regular baby monitor to customers myself. One thing, I don't want the liability of "Oh no, Junior hit his baby brother with a block and the audio on YOUR system wasn't working" It doesn't matter at that point if it is even a fault of your installation or user error. Dedicated, single-use baby monitors are pretty near fool-proof, but network audio, switchers, or any thing else that is necessary to an integrated solution just adds too much overhead that can potentially go wrong, including a confused operator. For another thing, I have not yet succeeded in an integration solution that could be implemented as simply and used as easily as "plug this box in near the baby, and plug the other in wherever you are."
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Damien, you will become a baby person once you have one of your own. It's odd how suddenly you realize that your baby is the most beautiful kid in the world. :)
  • Options
    Kenny wrote: »
    Damien, you will become a baby person once you have one of your own. It's odd how suddenly you realize that your baby is the most beautiful kid in the world. :)

Most likely the wisest words on this forum! hehe. Only time will tell mind you.

Damien
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Can anyone share the dynamic image configuration used to get the stream on the touch panel? We have a BL-C111A camera and are having some difficulty getting the touch panel to display an image from the camera.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This is how I set up mine; I use the BB-HCM531 series though, hopefully there are no major differences in this area.

Protocol: HTTP
    Host: <local IP number>
    Path: <blank>
    File: nphMotionJpeg?Resolution=320x240&Quality=Standard // edit as needed for viewing preference
    User/password as set up in camera.
    Refresh rate: 1

I've had no real difficulties with that setup.