Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Why Doesnt my send level not work

I was wondering if i'm changing the volume on the processor and parsing the data out to an variable (in this case cVolume), shouldn't this update my bargraph if i use the send level in an active statement.

The Parsing does work i can see cvolume update with the right info instantly whenever i hit volume up or down.
dTP[2] is 10002:1:0
The Bargraph is set to passive with a range of 0-255, level port 1, level code 1

Another thing i'm not sure about is how to convert the values in cVolume which range from hex 0C (+12db) to hex B0 (-80) to something that i can display in the bargraph with a range of 0-255 or 0-100.

Any help will be appreciated

DATA_EVENT [dvSerial_MC8]
{
ONLINE:
{
send_command dvSerial_MC8, "'SET BAUD 19200,O,8,1'"
send_command dvSerial_MC8, "'HSOFF'"
send_command dvSerial_MC8, "'XOFF'"
send_command dvSerial_MC8, "'CHARD-0'"
}
STRING:
{
LOCAL_VAR CHAR cTRASH[100]
LOCAL_VAR CHAR cStatus_Buffer[100]

SELECT
{
ACTIVE(FIND_STRING(cMC8_Buffer,"$F1,$07,$05,$04,$14,$01,$06",1)):
{
cStatus_Buffer=REMOVE_STRING(cMC8_Buffer,"$F2",FIND_STRING(cMC8_Buffer,"$F1,$07,$05,$04,$14,$01,$06",1))
cVOLUME=MID_STRING(cStatus_Buffer,8,1)
SEND_LEVEL dTP[2],1,ATOI(cVOLUME)
}
}
CLEAR_BUFFER cMC8_Buffer
}
}

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Are you seeing the level fire in Diagnostics?
  • Options
    kbeattyAMXkbeattyAMX Posts: 358
    Keep in mind that hex is a 2's compliment of the signed integer value. You'll need to convert it to an unsigned integer then scale it to 255 for the bar graph.
  • Options
    kbeattyAMX wrote: »
    Keep in mind that hex is a 2's compliment of the signed integer value. You'll need to convert it to an unsigned integer then scale it to 255 for the bar graph.

The sign bit is the most significant bit. If it is 1 the value is negative and 0 for positive. If positive the value is directly representing the integer. If negative, subtract 1 and do a binary not. Then the value represents the unsigned integer of the negative value.
  • Options
    GfullGfull Posts: 19
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Are you seeing the level fire in Diagnostics?

Just tried and no i don't see any level events happening in device notifications. Still don't see why the send level isn't working.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Gfull wrote: »
    Just tried and no i don't see any level events happening in device notifications. Still don't see why the send level isn't working.

Can you put up the DEV array for dTP[2] ?

Also, you might put a boink in the Select/Active statement to see if the condition is genuinely ever met.

I will put send_command dv_panel,'adbee' sometimes or send_string(o),'it happened' or something of that nature.
  • Options

Also, you might put a boink in the Select/Active statement to see if the condition is genuinely ever met.

I will put send_command dv_panel,'adbee' sometimes or send_string(o),'it happened' or something of that nature.

You can't send the value in cvolume because it's not an integer equivalent. -80db is $B0 = 176 and $0C is +12.
  • Options

Sure... its down below and i tried a test statement earlier

dvTP1 = 10001:1:0
    dvTP2 = 10002:1:0

dev dTP[] = {dvTP1,dvTP2}
  • Options
    You can't send the value in cvolume because it's not an integer equivalent. -80db is $B0 = 176 and $0C is +12.

Here is the full string that comes back whenever you change the volume
    F1,7,5,4,14,1,6,F6,F2

The only value that changes is position 8 (F6) regardless if its a negative value or not
    i hope you can forgive my limited understanding of 2's compliment and all.. but i only see one byte changing
    And i thought that by using Atoi it would change the value to a signed integer or do i have to do slong atoi
  • Options
    Sure... its down below and i tried a test statement earlier

dvTP1 = 10001:1:0
    dvTP2 = 10002:1:0

dev dTP[] = {dvTP1,dvTP2}

What is the current range of the bar graph in the touchpanel? All negative values will be greater than 128.
  • Options
    Here is the full string that comes back whenever you change the volume
    F1,7,5,4,14,1,6,F6,F2

The only value that changes is position 8 (F6) regardless if its a negative value or not
    i hope you can forgive my limited understanding of 2's compliment and all.. but i only see one byte changing
    And i thought that by using Atoi it would change the value to a signed integer or do i have to do slong atoi
    2 compliment is a way to represent a negative value with 8 bits.
    11111111 = -1
    00000001 = 1 so
    $B0 = 10110000 but because the 8th bit is on, it's a negative number.
    So subtract 1 from $B0 and you get $AF = 10101111 Ones complement is 01010000
    Which is 80 without the sign.
  • Options
    What is the current range of the bar graph in the touchpanel? All negative values will be greater than 128.

range low =0
    range high =255
  • Options
    2 compliment is a way to represent a negative value with 8 bits.
    11111111 = -1
    00000001 = 1 so
    $B0 = 10110000 but because the 8th bit is on, it's a negative number.
    So subtract 1 from $B0 and you get $AF = 10101111 Ones complement is 01010000
    Which is 80 without the sign.

Here's how you program it.

Our range would be 92 (80 + 12)

If (cVolume band $80) //negative value
    {
    cVolume = 80 - (bnot (cVolume -1))
    }
    else
    {
    cVolume = 80 + cVolume
    }
    BarVolume = (cVolume*255)/92

Something like this. I'm sure there's typos.
  • Options
    Here's how you program it.

Our range would be 92 (80 + 12)

If (cVolume band $80) //negative value
    {
    cVolume = 80 - (bnot (cVolume -1))
    }
    else
    {
    cVolume = 80 + cVolume
    }
    BarVolume = (cVolume*255)/92

Something like this. I'm sure there's typos.

Thanks KB I'll give it a shot
  • Options
    Thanks KB I'll give it a shot

I'm getting warnings on using a char in a math operation.. and i cant parse the data to a integer.. is there a way to convert a char to an integer and achieve the same results
  • Options
    never mind ......i know how its been a long day
  • Options
    You could type cast it. Keep in mind that cVolume has a value in it. That value could be interpreted as an ascii, hex or decimal. If it is to be interpreted as an ASCII it needs to be coded as an ASCII. The Programmer intended $31 to be an ASCII '1' not just decimal 49. The value in cVolume might have an ASCII representative character but it was programmed to be 2 compliment. So just because you have it typed as a character in AMX doesn't change the value that is stored. Just typecast it.
  • Options
    I had a similar thing a while ago, where the bargraph was 0 - 144, where 0 was -60dB and 144 was +12dB, incrementing by .5 dB.

I seem to remember using ITOHEX and HEXTOI, but I think there was a problem getting a 'real' volume number back - i.e. it was fine getting e.g. $0A and converting it to an Integer 10. But then I couldn't relate that to the actual dB value as I couldn't then convert that ASCII 10 into -55, I got a 'NO CONVERSION FOR DOUBLE PRECISION' warning from the notifications whether my variable was a SINTEGER, a FLOAT, or a DOUBLE.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm getting warnings on using a char in a math operation.. and i cant parse the data to a integer.. is there a way to convert a char to an integer and achieve the same results

That generally means a CHAR array, not a simple CHAR ... you can do math on simple CHARs. If you have it in double quotes, it will be treated like string (CHAR array) of size one, so that is something to look for as well.