Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Blu-Ray DVD w/ Serial Control

Have any manufactures released a Blu-Ray compatible DVD with serial control? Preferably one with a module or the protocols :-)

Comments

• We just got a Sony Blu-Ray in our Design Center, but it's only got wired IR. Sad, because I like Sony's 232 command framework.

Dan
  • roognationroognation Posts: 138
    bump...

mahalo,
  • KrobarKrobar Posts: 32
    What alot changes in 1year+ :)

The only ones with reasonable 2 way I know of are the two Denons:
    DVD-2500BT
    DVD-3800BD

The Sony 5000ES seems to only really offer basic 1 way commands although you can query the Software version.......

There is also a Yamaha and a few Pioneers, anyone have any experience of these?
  • Check out the Oppo BDP-83. Not yet released, but has optional RS232.
    I have done a lot of work with the Oppo DVD players and the protocol works pretty well.
    Can't wait till this gets released.. they think by August it should be in full release.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Denon 3800 - a watch out

If you take analogue PCM output from the 3800 be careful. There is a -10DB trim on the Sub output. An appropriate Denon processor will put it back on but if you're taken it to a Lexicon, ADA or something similar then you'll have to stick that gain back in via a line driver or equivalent

While it's a reasonable player we're not going to use one again until that particular feature is addressed.
    Thanks for the info.

I now have the RS232 documents for the Sony, Pioneer, Yamha and Denon, a quick comparison:

Sony:
    Commands: Only basic
    Feeback: Nothing Useful (Only Model and Firmware version)

Denon/Marantz:
    Commands: Complete - More than remote
    Feedback: Track, Time and Media. Excellent status with full audio format, subtitle and angle reporting.

Yamaha:
    Commands: Complete

Pioneer:
    Commands: Complete
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You can add Marantz to the list, though it is really a Denon with Marantz's name on it. It uses the same protocol as the Denon as well. I've used the BD-8002, specifically.
  • rcainrcain Posts: 11
    Marantz has 3 new Blu-Ray players coming out with 232 with the most reasonable being the BD-7004 priced at $799.
    rcain wrote: »
    Marantz has 3 new Blu-Ray players coming out with 232 with the most reasonable being the BD-7004 priced at $799.

I'm guessing these are either very closely related or identical to the three upcoming Denons?
  • patbpatb Posts: 140
    I would guess so since they have the same parent company. I have used the Denon in the past, but just with code that I had written on my own. The codes work very well that I have written, but I normally do not use heavy polling in order to optimize performance in the system.

I have not tried to use any of the modules from AMX because IMO they typically are really bloated, slow and kill the performance of a system any time they are included. What have other found that have tried to use the AMX module for the Denon?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    patb wrote: »
    I would guess so since they have the same parent company. I have used the Denon in the past, but just with code that I had written on my own. The codes work very well that I have written, but I normally do not use heavy polling in order to optimize performance in the system.

I have not tried to use any of the modules from AMX because IMO they typically are really bloated, slow and kill the performance of a system any time they are included. What have other found that have tried to use the AMX module for the Denon?

Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, Escient, Snell, and Boston Acoustics are all owned by D&M Holdings.
    Check out the Oppo BDP-83. Not yet released, but has optional RS232.
    I have done a lot of work with the Oppo DVD players and the protocol works pretty well.
    Can't wait till this gets released.. they think by August it should be in full release.

Just put in an RS232 enabled Oppo BDP-83R, works nicely and I will likely use them in future.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    I love the Oppo BDP-83 player as well, you can download a module from
    http://modulemarketplace.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=32
    This player is one of the only BluRay players that will also play SACDs and DVD Audio discs as well. Also load and power on time is lighting fast compared to other BluRay players.