Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

G4 Web control STOP working on 8400

HI Guys,

I've a problem with an 8400 panel, I wold like to control it by remote so I've enagled the G4 Web control functionallity, but after a day I can not connect to the panel anyway, it seems that G4 Web control function stop working, so I send a reboot command to the panel and then the G4 web control start to work for another day....
I thing that is so strange think Have U got any Idea?

Thanks
Kman88

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Are you the only one with access to it? Could someone else be opening a connection and leaving it open? There is a timeout, but I wouldn't be very confident that all the housekeeping is done properly after a timeout, and it may not recover properly. Or it may not be set to time out at all (assuming that's possible).
  • Options
    Darkman88Darkman88 Posts: 45
    There Is a timeout, and there is just one person whos access to it, so I dont think that there is an open connection.
    If you do a ortscan of the ip of the panel, the port 5900 isn't open it's like when you disable the G4 web control.
  • Options
    What are you using to connect to the panel? Are you using web control via the masters web pages? or are you using a VNC client like RealVNC or TinyVNC? If you have the latest version of panel firmware I know of no issues with cleaning up after a disconnect. If the G4 web control timeout is disabled on the panel (protected setup pages) the panel will keep the connection open until the client closes it. It almost sounds like the client is not closing the connection. Do you have the timeout disabled? This would explain why rebooting the panel solves the problem, it allows the panel to accept a new connection.

Also, the next release of MVP-8400 firmware will allow you to increase the number of G4 web control users to a max of 3. Coming soon....no, seriously... :-)
  • Options
    I Dont know why, I've done other TEST and it seems that the panel is not visible on the network, I've try to ping it but it doesent answer me.
    but it's still online with the NI-Master, I dont know why, when I reboot the panel, Ican ping it, telnetting and access to G4 functionallity.

The timeout is setted at 15 min, and I have the last firmware.

I use TightVNC

Thanks Kman88
  • Options
    I've had this happen a few times with one of my customers who regularly uses it to check on his various homes. My current working theory is that for whatever reason, when the VNC session is ended sometimes, the panel does not fully release the connection, or at least, the lock on the connection, even though it was properly closed. I don't know if it is a dropped packet at a bad time, or a firmware glitch, but so far the only solution I have found is to reboot the panel.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I've had this happen a few times with one of my customers who regularly uses it to check on his various homes. My current working theory is that for whatever reason, when the VNC session is ended sometimes, the panel does not fully release the connection, or at least, the lock on the connection, even though it was properly closed. I don't know if it is a dropped packet at a bad time, or a firmware glitch, but so far the only solution I have found is to reboot the panel.

So in how do you solve the problem? do you said to your custumer to remember to reboot the panel whenever he leave home?
  • Options
    Darkman88 wrote: »
    So in how do you solve the problem? do you said to your custumer to remember to reboot the panel whenever he leave home?

I don't have a great solution. If his housekeeping staff is there, he tells them to reboot it (I provided a reboot button on it). If the house is vacant, he calls me and I telnet in and reboot it. It doesn't happen very often, so this has been workable ... I wouldn't want to do it that way if the thing was dropping out more frequently.
  • Options
    It happens to me every 24 hours so I think that I cannot apply your solution.

I would beleve that is a firmware problem...
  • Options
    Darkman88 wrote: »
    It happens to me every 24 hours so I think that I cannot apply your solution.

I would beleve that is a firmware problem...

I agree. Getting a fix will be the hard part.

Do you think it would be feasible to reboot your panel periodically from code? At 4AM or something, do a quick check to see if the panel is in use, and just send a reboot command if not. I've done that a few times with poorly made devices that locked up regularly.
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Do you think it would be feasible to reboot your panel periodically from code? At 4AM or something, do a quick check to see if the panel is in use, and just send a reboot command if not. I've done that a few times with poorly made devices that locked up regularly.

Dont Know, I think that is hard to know when the panel is in use.
    Yes there is not so much people that use AMX panel at 4:00AM but It can happen.
    I agree with you, it's a solution but It's not nice to say to coustumers:
    "If you see the panel rebooting dont worry, It's Just because G4 function in AMX panel suks..."

I think that he can be a little bit angry with me...
  • Options
    I will run a test with connect/disconnects repeatedly to see if there is a problem with this feature in G4. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    It's not that hard to tell if a panel is in use. What is it controlling? What is the state of that device? Aren't you already tracking if the TV is on, or music is playing ... it's not all that tough to add if a camera is being viewed, etc. If your devices are idle, the panel is too. I guess I don't think much of it because I do all that in any case.

If the panel is in a bedroom, however, all bets are off. The thing waking up and rebooting may drive them crazy.
  • Options
    rgelling wrote: »
    I will run a test with connect/disconnects repeatedly to see if there is a problem with this feature in G4. Stay tuned.

I have run some tests and cannot get G4WC to fail. The only times I can get it not respond are when I try to connect within like 2 seconds of a disconnect. But that clears up after about 5 seconds. I have made 40 or 50 connects in a row. I have done 20+ connects and then let it time out, all in a row.

What I cannot simulate is the environment or network at the locations in question, or the exact timing between the connections at those sites. There will be a new 8400 firmware release coming soon, it would be an interesting test to see if this issue goes away.