Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

SRC file size

From the category of "I shouldn't be in this situation but I am"...

I am having to go back to a project to do a minor tweak but as luck would have it, during a flurry of last minute updates, I'm not certain of the most recent version of the code. Since everything is running well, I don't want to screw it up by going backwards a rev or 2!

However, when I transfer the SRC out of the master and compare it to the various SRC files on the job disk, none of file size match.

I would expect that what I put into the master (SRC) would be the same as what I have on the job disc.

My only thought is does anything happen to the SRC file when it is transferred into the master - a header maybe, date stamp, token gremlin? (this is an NI-4100)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    A SRC file is just a ZIP of all the source that is included with the program. You'll find the original directory structure and sources of the main code and the source of modules that you had as source code in your project. The include files are appended to the master source code so this might be giving you the size difference.
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    Thanks - that helps. I thought the src was 'just' the compiled code that executed in the master.

Follow on question - any suggestion on the best way to determine (match) the running program in the master with the various versions on the project disc? (obviously I can't 'un-zip' the SRC file - he says with a frown)

Cheers!
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    For what it is worth, when I eluded to 'unzip an SRC file' I took a shot on a hunch. I opened the SRC file in MSWord and among all the hash, there it was - the file name of the AXS file - complete with the directory where it came from in Netlinx Studio! Bonus.

Thanks for the tip - it sent me in the right direction.

Note to self - make sure you do a better job labelling files as they are created!

Cheers!
  • Options
    PyroGuy wrote: »
    Thanks - that helps. I thought the src was 'just' the compiled code that executed in the master.

Follow on question - any suggestion on the best way to determine (match) the running program in the master with the various versions on the project disc? (obviously I can't 'un-zip' the SRC file - he says with a frown)

Cheers!

I just change .src to .zip then unzip it.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Or use the 'extract from src' function in NetLinx Studio.

For finding out what is actually running on your master, if you may have transferred without source open up your possible versions in NS studio and launch debug. If the compiled tkn you've got sitting on your computer is different to whats running on your master you'll get a little dialogue popping up informing you of this.

If you are sure that you transferred with source as well then just download the src and extract it, it will have everything bar your modules and IR files.
  • Options
    Also, if you telnet into the master you can type 'program info' and it should show you the filenames for everything that's loaded.

--John