Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

panasonic projector

I posted a few months ago about a Sharp projector. I'm not sure why I have so many difficulties getting projectors to work via RS232 when all the other gear I control this way works easy. However, I eventually got the Sharp projectors working by starting with a simple HyperTerm connex to my laptop and going from there. What I found was strange and that was I constantly got error messages until I entered a sequence of 2 specific commands. Then everything worked. Process was repeated on 3 projectors.
This time I have my laptop connected to a PTD5600. I can't even get an error message in response. Nothing. I've tried variations on everything including cables, communications settings, and command syntax-though I would expect bad syntax to at least get me an error. I checked the menu to see if the serial port on the 5600 was configured.
I'm at a loss and would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    What strings are you sending and at what baud?
  • Options
    These are some of the command strings I've tried.
    $02ZZ;POF$03
    $02ADZZ;POF$03
    $02ZZ0A;POF$03
    02ZZ;POF03
    etc...

I guess you're probably familiar with their protocol or have the document but it is unclear to me exactly what is needed for the ID section. In the document it says 4 bytes total, two are simply given as 'AD' and the other two (listed as ID designate) are either ZZ, 1 to 64 or 0A to 0Z)-ZZ being the default for all which is what my projector is set to in the menu under 'ID'.
    The manufacturer's explanation of the ID section of the string is a little unclear to me. It also says the colon after the command is not neccessary without parameters.
    As I mentioned I tried a variety of communications settings but the projector is set for 9600 baud rate and that's pretty much what I've been using. Also in the documentation it says sychronization method is 'start/stop'. I don't know if this is the equivalent of 'flow control' on the HyperTerm settings but I've tried setting HyperTerm to 'xon/xoff'.
    Anyhow, I'm still getting no response whatever from the projector. Not even an error. I've had this sort of trouble with every projector I've ever worked with including other Panasonic, Sony, and as I mentioned in the first email Sharp. I also know that the engineer who was here before me basically gave up on trying to get the Sony's to work. Since I've only been doing this kind of work for a year or so I'm wondering if projectors are always problematic.
    Thanks very much for your help.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    rfayer1 wrote: »
    $02ZZ;POF$03
    $02ADZZ;POF$03
    $02ZZ0A;POF$03

I guess you're probably familiar with their protocol or have the document but it is unclear to me exactly what is needed for the ID section. In the document it says 4 bytes total, two are simply given as 'AD' and the other two (listed as ID designate) are either ZZ, 1 to 64 or 0A to 0Z)-ZZ being the default for all which is what my projector is set to in the menu under 'ID'.
    The manufacturer's explanation of the ID section of the string is a little unclear to me. It also says the colon after the command is not neccessary without parameters.
    As I mentioned I tried a variety of communications settings but the projector is set for 9600 baud rate and that's pretty much what I've been using. Also in the documentation it says sychronization method is 'start/stop'. I don't know if this is the equivalent of 'flow control' on the HyperTerm settings but I've tried setting HyperTerm to 'xon/xoff'.
    Anyhow, I'm still getting no response whatever from the projector. Not even an error. I've had this sort of trouble with every projector I've ever worked with including other Panasonic, Sony, and as I mentioned in the first email Sharp. I also know that the engineer who was here before me basically gave up on trying to get the Sony's to work. Since I've only been doing this kind of work for a year or so I'm wondering if projectors are always problematic.
    Thanks very much for your help.

Can you post the code where you're trying to send the string?

please be sure to post the code in a code block. Like this
    BUTTON_EVENT[TP_1,1]
    {
    PUSH;
      {
      // DO SOMETHING.
      }
    }

Perhaps the problem lies in the syntax.
  • Options
    Eric,
    Well I'm not quite sure what you're asking but in the Netlinx code I started with tthis:
    BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP, 118]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPROJ1, "PROJ_ON"
    }
    }

BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP, 119]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPROJ1, "PROJ_OFF"
    }
    }

and the constants PROJ_ON and PROJ_OFF were defined as I indicated in the first post. something along the lines of:
    02ADZZ;PON03 or $02ADZZ;POF$03 etc...
    HOWEVER, I quickly went straight to using HyperTerminal to communicate directly with the projector until I could get it working that way. This was a method that worked for me when I had similar problems getting some Sharp projectors to work ( by the way that was the only success I've ever had with any projectors). Anyhow, it's all there in my original post. To answer your question though I'm just sending the command strings straight from HyperTerminal so there are no code blocks.
    I hope this answers your question and that I didn't misunderstand.
  • Options
    $02ZZ;POF$03
    $02ADZZ;POF$03
    $02ZZ0A;POF$03
    02ZZ;POF03
    etc...

I don't have experience with the projector you're using, but have used Panasonic many times and every time the power on command has been "$02,'PON',$03"
  • Options
    Eric,
    Well I'm not quite sure what you're asking but in the Netlinx code I started with tthis:
    BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP, 118]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPROJ1, "PROJ_ON"
    }
    }

BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP, 119]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPROJ1, "PROJ_OFF"
    }
    }

and the constants PROJ_ON and PROJ_OFF were defined as I indicated in the first post. something along the lines of:
    02ADZZ;PON03 or $02ADZZ;POF$03 etc...
    HOWEVER, I quickly went straight to using HyperTerminal to communicate directly with the projector until I could get it working that way. This was a method that worked for me when I had similar problems getting some Sharp projectors to work ( by the way that was the only success I've ever had with any projectors). Anyhow, it's all there in my original post. To answer your question though I'm just sending the command strings straight from HyperTerminal so there are no code blocks.
    I hope this answers your question and that I didn't misunderstand.

As TonyAngelo points out, you probably have a syntax problem.

You're probably looking at something like.
    DEFINE_CONSTANT

Power_Off[]=" $02,'POF',$03 "

• Options
    Thanks, I'll certainly give it a try. The documentation clearly describes ID bytes that are part of the string. Sorry, clearly it mentions them but it the syntax is anything but clear. Anyhow, it wouldn't be the first time documentation missed the mark.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll certainly give it a try. The documentation clearly describes ID bytes that are part of the string. Sorry, clearly it mentions them but it the syntax is anything but clear. Anyhow, it wouldn't be the first time documentation missed the mark.

Oh, I see. The 'ZZ' probably is the unit ID. something like '01' or '00' or whatever.

so if the id was 01 for example
    Power_Off[]=" $02,'00POF',$03 "

• Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I have an install with 2 of the panasonic 7700's both connected together using RS422. I will just attach the include file in with this. Your more then welcome to grab the little function that I put in it which you feed it the id number, command and parameter ('nil' if there isn't one..) It will format it correctly and send it out. The document is confusing at first, but once you see this, it will be super easy for you to understand what it wants. And these projectors don't reply with their address, so you have to keep track of what is sent and received to parse properly. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ryan
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    My 7700 look like this:
    send_string dvProj1,"$02,'ADZZ;PON',$03"
  • Options
    Kenny,

yes, that's the basic idea I was getting about the syntax from looking at their protocol-whether for the PTD5600 or the PT3500U which I was having similar problems with a year ago.t
    So this command string has actually worked for you? Also, what does the 'AD' represent in the ID part of the command string?
    The other problem that I mentioned is that I seem not to have established a connection at all. As I said before I have taken Netlinx out of the loop for now and I'm trying to communicate directly with HyperTerminal and I get no response from the projector-not even error messages. Should I not be seeing at least error responses? Though their diagram indicates a straigh through cable (pin2 male to pin2 female, pin3 to pin3, 5 to 5, 7 to 7, and 8 to 8) I have also tried the traditional crossed.
    Also, I'm still trying to sort out the code Ryan sent which is great 'cause as I mentioned I'm still fairly new at this and don't get a chance often to see how others are doing things.
    The most curious part in all of this is that with all the switchers, tuners, scalers...I've programmed into systems why is it always the projectors that cause me problems?
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    Kenny,

yes, that's the basic idea I was getting about the syntax from looking at their protocol-whether for the PTD5600 or the PT3500U which I was having similar problems with a year ago.t
    So this command string has actually worked for you? Also, what does the 'AD' represent in the ID part of the command string?
    The other problem that I mentioned is that I seem not to have established a connection at all. As I said before I have taken Netlinx out of the loop for now and I'm trying to communicate directly with HyperTerminal and I get no response from the projector-not even error messages. Should I not be seeing at least error responses? Though their diagram indicates a straigh through cable (pin2 male to pin2 female, pin3 to pin3, 5 to 5, 7 to 7, and 8 to 8) I have also tried the traditional crossed.
    Also, I'm still trying to sort out the code Ryan sent which is great 'cause as I mentioned I'm still fairly new at this and don't get a chance often to see how others are doing things.
    The most curious part in all of this is that with all the switchers, tuners, scalers...I've programmed into systems why is it always the projectors that cause me problems?
    Thanks all.
    Yes that string works on 3 7700 projectors. I think on the 7700, the installer had to enable the 232 port.
    Not sure what the AD means, my protocol doc is attached but it didn't say what AD means.
    Are you sure that you are in the proper 232 port? The 7700 has an IN and OUT 232 ports. Make sure to use the IN. Plus a remote 9 pin connector.
    Honestly I can't say what the pin out should be, BUT it appears to be a straight thru.
  • Options
    HEX with Hyperterminal

When using Hyperterminal to test Panasonic projectors:

STX ($02) = ctl-B

ETX ($03) = ctl-C

The rest of the command is ASCII and can be entered as normal.
  • Options
    The RS-232 should have been enabled by default I believe.. To enable 422, you have to actually take apart most of the projector to switch a wiring harness to another header on the board.. So nice of panasonic.

And sorry about posting that since you are new.. Its probably really confusing to sort through all the junk on it that won't pertain to you. If you want me to explain it a little better I can..
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I would try 00 as an ID unless you can find an explicit setting for it in the projector itself. ZZ is almost certainly a placeholder terminology. Many, if not all, of these projector protocols are designed to function in a video wall environment, and frequently, a single command going out to all the projectors on the buss at once is desirable; 00 is typically the ID for "all."
  • Options
    Still no luck. It seems like it has to be the RS232 or Dsub jack is disabled. As I mentioned I haven't seen a single response and it does indicate in the documentation that there are error responses though it also mentions many cases for which the projector will not respond so it isn't quite clear to me.
  • Options
    Still no luck. It seems like it has to be the RS232 or Dsub jack is disabled. As I mentioned I haven't seen a single response and it does indicate in the documentation that there are error responses though it also mentions many cases for which the projector will not respond so it isn't quite clear to me.

Does using the exact same cable/connector from the NI masteer to the proj work with your Hyperterminal session?

Does the cable you origianally used to do the hyperterminal session have all 9 pins connected?

Perhaps the proj needs the CTS/RTS connections. There are also times when you can simply make a jumper from the CTS tot he RTS on the device side to fool it into being a noraml TX/RX connection.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I ended up trying that last time with the Sharps and then it turned out not to be the problem and the only connectors we have in stock presently are the ones with the tiny pins that you have to solder so I've been reluctant to try that.
    I've tried cables w/ all 9 pins connected, but mostly with just 2,3,5,7, and 8- with 2 and 3 crossed, 7 and 8 crossed, and both.
    I guess you're talking about a loop back between 7 and 8 so it's RTS gets answered with it's own CTS. I think, right? But I remember trying an even more complicated version when working with the Sharps that had jumpers from pin4 to 2 and 3. I'd have to look it up again but anyhow, which are you suggesting?
  • Options
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I would try 00 as an ID unless you can find an explicit setting for it in the projector itself. ZZ is almost certainly a placeholder terminology. Many, if not all, of these projector protocols are designed to function in a video wall environment, and frequently, a single command going out to all the projectors on the buss at once is desirable; 00 is typically the ID for "all."

ZZ is the broadcast to all ID's. Pin connections should yield in a straight through cable because TX is on pin 2 for the projector. 7 and 8 are not needed.

Power on command should be "$02,'ADZZ;PON',$03". Did you confirm that the command is getting to the projector by shorting 2 and 3 on the RS232 cable going to the projector at the projector end?
  • Options
    Try using 0A instead of ZZ. In my example, that is what I use to talk to both projectors on the same line and both will respond and react to the same commands..
  • Options
    I tried shorting pins 7 and 8 in case it was expecting a CTS but that didn't work. I have no indication at all that the projector is receiving commands. I am trying to understand how shorting pins 2 and 3 on the projector end will confirm that but I will certainly try it.
  • Options
    I tried shorting pins 7 and 8 in case it was expecting a CTS but that didn't work. I have no indication at all that the projector is receiving commands. I am trying to understand how shorting pins 2 and 3 on the projector end will confirm that but I will certainly try it.

Your just checking if there is not a problem somewhere else. By shorting 2 and 3 you should see the string you're sending in Netlinx diagnostics and the you should see the identical string returning to the port. If you don't see the string, the problem is not with your projector. Instead there maybe a problem with your cable, connectors, or AMX comm port. Keep in mind that you are shorting 2 and 3 on the cable end at the projector.
  • Options
    Oh yeahh...give this a try as soon as I get some coffee. Still, there's no enablement for RS232 on the projector other than the menu setting under 'option1'? It should pretty much work out of the box?
  • Options
    Oh yeahh...give this a try as soon as I get some coffee. Still, there's no enablement for RS232 on the projector other than the menu setting under 'option1'? It should pretty much work out of the box?

Send me a snippet of the code you are using to control the projector.
  • Options
    I had switched a while ago from using my netlinx controller to simply connecting via HyperTerminal but originally I had started with variations on this-trying different syntax, different ID's and using constants...

BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP, 118]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPROJ1, "$02,'ADZZ;PON',$03"
    }
    }

which is why I believed everything to be ok on the non-projector side. I was communicating betweeen my laptop and my ME260 with no problems,I had checked communication via HyperTerminal with a tuner I had on my desk, and every cable I've tried since has been tested for continuity...still, I'll try shorting 2 and 3-perhaps HyperTerminal is being wierd.
  • Options
    VLCNCRZR wrote: »
    When using Hyperterminal to test Panasonic projectors:

STX ($02) = ctl-B

ETX ($03) = ctl-C

The rest of the command is ASCII and can be entered as normal.

Did you get this information for testing with HT?
  • Options
    Yes. I continue to test with a variety of syntax including that and variations on ID's. But I'm pretty confident at this point that this isn't a syntax issue. Panasonic documentation isn't entirely clear but I'm pretty sure I should be seeing error responses at least.
  • Options
    control cable for Pana proj

I work with the Panasonic projectors all the time.

A simple 2-3-5 control cable is all that is required for reliable
    bi-directional control with feedback.

No handshaking is required.

Be sure to have handshaking turned off in your port config event.
  • Options
    What about baud rate?
    Have you verified that the baud rate is the same in the NI and the projector.
    It's best to put "SET BAUD" commands in an online event of the RS232 port that you are using.
    Something like this:
    DATA_EVENT[dvProj1]
    {
    Online:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvProj1,"'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'"
    }
    }
  • Options
    This is the point at which I usually try not-so-veiled threats of violence toward the equipment if it continues its persistent lack of cooperation.
    :D