Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

eAsTeR EgGs

2»

Comments

• Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    PhreaK wrote: »
    I was just doing a bit of debugging on a system and noticed and interesting string come back from the DSP. I don't think it likes me.

Autopatch switcher?

Reminds me of this bash quote:

http://bash.org/?420589
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    On a church project, I made an image of Jesus appear randomly on the TP every other Sunday.
    I would appear for a few seconds then disappear. If you touched it, the image would immediately fade off.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    yuri wrote: »
    Autopatch switcher?

Clearone XAP 800. It was something that the DSP programmer had put in though, not firmware.
  • Options
    DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    Payment problem, here is a solution...

I know, what I'm telling you guys is not right, but very useful in some cases, and probably is not an easter egg, maybe a snake egg.

I've to program for a client, and he is famous for not paying correctly, so I put one command,

IF (DATE >= Payment1MonthLate)
    {
    call 'desconfigureIRports'
    call 'desconfigure232Ports'
    }

Today the system is working and payed!
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've only done one easter egg on a netlinx system and that was one of our demos here at the shop.

an Easter Egg button would appear randomly for 1 minute and then go away. (this probabl only happened about once every month.) If you pressed the egg, the TP took you on a little journey.

it was my version of 'So, you want to sing the blues?" It included pictures kind of like a power point presentation. You may have seen this on the internet.

Here's the source for those who haven't seen it.
    (attrib. to Memphis Earlene Gray with help from Uncle Plunky)

So, you want to sing the blues???

1. Most blues begin "woke up this morning."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the blues, unless you
    stick something nasty in the next line.

I got a good woman-
    with the meanest dog in town.

3. Blues are simple. After you have the first line right, repeat it.
    Then find something that rhymes. Sort of.

Got a good woman
    I said I got a good woman
    He got teeth like Margaret Thatcher
    and he weigh 'bout 500 pounds.

4. The blues aint about choice. If you stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch.

5. Blues cars are Chevies and Cadillacs. Other acceptable blues
    transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Walkin'
    plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the blues. Adults sing the blues. Blues
    adulthood means old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a
    man in Memphis.

7. You can have the blues in New York City, but not in Brooklyn or
    Queens. Hard times in Vermont or North Dakota are just a depression.
    Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City are still the best places to have
    the blues.

8. The following colors do not belong in the blues:
    a. violet
    b. beige
    c. mauve

9. You can't have the blues in an office or a shopping mall, the
    lighting is wrong.

10. Good places for the Blues:
    a. the highway
    b. the jailhouse
    c. the empty bed

Bad places:
    a. Ashrams
    b. Gallery openings
    c. weekend in the Hamptons

11. No one will believe it's the blues if you wear a suit, unless you
    happen to be an old black man.

12. Do you have the right to sing the blues?
    Yes, if:
    a. your first name is a southern state-like Georgia
    b. you're blind
    c. you shot a man in Memphis.
    d. you can't be satisfied.

No, if:
    a. you were once blind but now can see.
    b. you're deaf
    c. you have a trust fund.

13. Neither Julio Iglesias nor Barbra Streisand can sing the blues.

14. If you ask for water and baby gives you gasoline, it's the blues.
    Other blues beverages are:
    a. wine
    b. Irish whiskey
    c. muddy water

Blues beverages are NOT:
    a. Any mixed drink
    b. bottled water
    c. Yoo Hoo (all flavors)

15. If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a blues
    death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is a blues way to die.
    So is the electric chair, substance abuse, or being denied treatment
    in an emergency room. It is not a blues death if you die during
    a liposuction treatment.

16. Some Blues names for Women
    a. Sadie
    b. Big Mama
    c. Bessie

17. Some Blues Names for Men
    a. Joe
    b. Willie
    c. Little Willie
    d. Lightning

Persons with names like Sierra or Sequoia will not be permitted to
    sing the blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

17B. Other Blues Names (Starter Kit)
    a. Name of Physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Asthmatic)
    b. First name (see above) or name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi)
    c. Last Name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)

18. Epitaph on a blues musician's tombstone:
    "I didn't wake up this morning"

At the end it asks you to enter your name and it generated a blues name for you. Then it dumped you back out to the regular panel.

Well, the thing never fired as far as I knew. Nobody ever came up and asked what the heck was going on.

Fast forward a few years. Our top designer is in our demo theater with a prospective client. It's right around the corner from my office. I hear him going through his spiel. Much to my horror, I suddently hear the client's voice ," 'I got a good woman' is a bad way to begin the blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line. "

I ran charging in and power cycled the netlinx master. Once in the easter egg the only way out was to go through it. I didn't know the sense of humor the client had. They thought it was hilarious as did the desinger. I had forgotten all about it myself. It is now gone.
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    ericmedley wrote: »
    'So, you want to sing the blues?"

Fast forward a few years. Our top designer is in our demo theater with a prospective client. It's right around the corner from my office. I hear him going through his spiel. Much to my horror, I suddently hear the client's voice ," 'I got a good woman' is a bad way to begin the blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line. "

I ran charging in and power cycled the netlinx master. Once in the easter egg the only way out was to go through it. I didn't know the sense of humor the client had. They thought it was hilarious as did the desinger. I had forgotten all about it myself. It is now gone.

Gold! Pure gold!

Roger McLean.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I have a little Easter egg module. It brings in a devchan array of five buttons. When those five buttons are pressed in sequence, a popup page shows briefly and dissappears. Use your imagination as to what images could appear on the popup.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    I have a little Easter egg module. It brings in a devchan array of five buttons. When those five buttons are pressed in sequence, a popup page shows briefly and dissappears. Use your imagination as to what images could appear on the popup.

something like this?
  • Options
    jcereckejcerecke Posts: 40
    On most jobs we do, if a panel we do has a pincode lock on it for whatever reason, we usually show a popup of a Company profile type thing on entry of a certain pincode we use all throughout our company. Although if the user ever changed their pincode to our company one, they wouldn't be able to get in to their protected pages, but that chance is pretty small.

It usually has a photo of the guys that worked on the project and a little about the company at that point in time. Sort of like a easter egg time capsule haha.
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I haven't made an Easter Egg but I pulled a little joke on a project manager once. We had a programmer that loved to use confirmation popups always prompting the user to answer if they really wanted to do that. I hate these myself, but the project manager didn't agree. So the next time he was in the theater I changed the touch panel file so that when he hit the power off button the standard "Shut down System?" popup came up, then when he hit yes, a popup would display asking "Are you sure?", then when he hit yes, another one, "You seem undecided. Are you positive you want to shut me down?", with only two 'Maybe' buttons, and then "Make up your mind, man. Shut down or not?".
    He got to the third dialog before he started to realize he had been had.
    Paul
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    So I finally have a very small system in my own home now (just an 8400, NI-2K, and some basic equipment, nothing fancy) and my wife is really enjoying it, she loves not having to cycle through the inputs to go from cable to bluray . . .

Anyway, thought I'd have some fun. She's super jumpy and it doesn't take much to scare her; I decided to load up a screaming MP3 and an image of The Exorcist and wait for her to be using the system. Well, it didn't take long and I just did it tonight. I thought it was hilarious, she however did not. Not quite an Easter egg, but was funny nonetheless. :-)
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Haha, now I know why there's the cameras in the new panels. Its so you can do this exact type of thing and get footage.