Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

New to programming, please help!

Hello everyone! Great forum, and thanks for your help in advance.

I have a NI-3100 with an AXB-VOL3 connected over Axlink. I've loaded a program from another NI-3100 onto it, and for some reason the status led on the front of the controller stays solid, it does not flash. The input led appears to be functioning properly as anything I do from NetLinx Studio causes it to flash.

In addition, The AXlink LED on the VOL3 is blinking once a second, but the LED on the back of the controller is not blinking at all.

I assume this means my program is not running, and when I run program info from telnet it tells me nothing is running.

Please help! Thanks!

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Perhaps the 'Run Program' dip switch is flipped on the new master. Look on the back and see if the 1st position switch is flipped. If so, the program on the master is stopped. Power down, flip the switch, then power up. Give that a try if the switch is indeed flipped on.
  • Eric,
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. I did check that, and it is indeed off. No luck there.
  • It's also possible that i'm not uploading properly. I used the file transfer tool, and the system reboots so I jsut assumed that I was doing it right.
    Okay,
    when you say you loaded a program from one master to another, what do you mean? How did you go about doing that? Perhaps there's a flaw in that process.
  • I just opened a workspace that I had stored that was loaded previously onto another working master, changed the master''s ip address, and then loaded onto this master.

I also found some sample code in the forum also that demonstrates the capabilities of digital IO ports. So, I made a new workspace, set that code as the master, then loaded it on, and the same result. I thought by doing that i'd be simplifying things, but the program still does not appear to be running. Am I missing a step in the loading \ running code process?
    bwhiteford wrote: »
    I just opened a workspace that I had stored that was loaded previously onto another working master, changed the master''s ip address, and then loaded onto this master.

I also found some sample code in the forum also that demonstrates the capabilities of digital IO ports. So, I made a new workspace, set that code as the master, then loaded it on, and the same result. I thought by doing that i'd be simplifying things, but the program still does not appear to be running. Am I missing a step in the loading \ running code process?

Well, a lot depends upon the first working code.

First things first, however.

Telnet into the master and do a 'clean disk' command. this will erase all program files off the master. That way you can have a clean start. run the command and reboot.

then what I'd do is make a new project and start off with an empty template as the master file. Try loading that and see if it comes alive. If a blank program won't run, there is something wrong with the NI master.

It might be a corrupt flash image or something physically wrong with the unit. IF it does come alive, then there's something wrong with your code.

Give that a whirl and report back.
    e
  • Alrighty,
    Ran clean disk and it did it's thing. Then I created a new workspace, and a source file via the NetLinx template. I called the file Master.axs. Then, I uploaded Master.tkn and Master.src to the controller. It rebooted, but still a solid status led. Input blinks every once in a while.

Any idea what to try next? Would access to the controller via the internet be helpful? Thanks so much for your help Eric, I owe you big time!
  • Well this is interesting. I just ran "dipswitch" in telnet and it returned this:

Dipswitch = ON OFF OFF OFF OFF ON ON ON

Doesn't that suggest that the PRD switch is on? I checked the switch and it's definitely off.
  • To update everyone:

I've discovered that the controller definitely thinks that dipswitch 1 is on, and I tried everything I could to get it to "think" it's off. I'm assuming this is my issue. Any idea why dipswitch 1 will not turn off even though it appears to be physically off?
    To update everyone:

I've discovered that the controller definitely thinks that dipswitch 1 is on, and I tried everything I could to get it to "think" it's off. I'm assuming this is my issue. Any idea why dipswitch 1 will not turn off even though it appears to be physically off?

That sounds like the switch may be stuck or needs cleaning. you might try flipping the switch on and off several times to clean it out. Otherwise, it might be genuinely broken. If so, you'll have to call tech support.
  • Solved!

There was a small bead of solder connecting the one of the pins for dipswitch one two another solder point on the main board. The bead popped right off, and now the switch functions normally!
    Solved!

There was a small bead of solder connecting the one of the pins for dipswitch one two another solder point on the main board. The bead popped right off, and now the switch functions normally!

All's well that ends well...