Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Help with Polycom feedback

Hi guys,

Thanks to all of you for sharing tricks and experience!

I need help with Polycom HDX feedback.

I would like to turn on and off a TP button when the mute state is on and off.

1- I send string 'mute register' to the device when it comes online.
2- On a TP button, I send string 'mute near toggle'.
3- I receive 'mute near toggle' as feedback and not 'mute near on' or 'mute near off'????

I try to send string 'mute near get' on the mute button event and I receive 'mute near get' as feedback ...

Someone as an idea?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Options
    Mike

- Try and use "mute near on/off" instead of "mute near toggle". I always prefer using discretes...
    - Alternativelly use "mute near get" after each toggle

=== LE
    By now I have read the whole of your post. Please ignore my second line above.
    I am successfully querying with "mute near get", and the reply is correct.
    It appears that you only get an echo of your command. Do you get any feedback if you operate from the remote?
    What happens if you request "callinfo all"?
  • Options
    Hi felix,

No, I don't receive feedback from remote commands.

Do I need to do something special in ONLINE event?

I only send string 'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE' to the device
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    There's nothing special, as far as I know, in setting up the Polycom for reply.

You should be getting two responses, I believe, to a mute status query. The Polycom should send some sort of ack and then should tell you whether the mute is on or off. Looks like you're getting neither of these. Something to check -- your command to the Polycom should terminate with a <cr> (13 or $0D) and no line feed but the response from the Polycom should include a lf. Are you sure that the response you are getting is not just the command you are sending? Also, when you tell the Polycom to do something via RS232, does it actually do it? You may be able to tell that I'm thinking cable problem. Also, make sure you don't have a Polycom null adapter connected to the AMX DB9.
  • Options
    1- Yes the codec executes the command.

2- I don't use null modem adapter

3- I use a cross-over cable as described in the HDX documentation

I get the feedback in DATA event of the Polycom device. Do I need to use CREATE_BUFFER instead?

Like you said, I think the feedback is the command I sent...
  • Options
    DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    When I worked with polycom hdx7004, when you send you get the mute toogle, you should receive the mute on or off!

I believe what's happening is something with the cable, everything you send you get the same thing, this might be the TX and RX of your cable is tied toguether.

If you have some way to test the cable(a multimeter in hands), I recommend you try it. Just to help you the cable must be a crossed cable, not a straigh thru.
  • Options

I only send string 'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE' to the device

Just to be sure, it's not send_string, it's send_command
  • Options
    For the SET BAUD, I use SEND_COMMAND

I use SEND_STRING for other commands because I don't use AMX module

And my commands end with $0D
  • Options
    Ok!

Well, try one thing, if you have a polycom microphone, try to press the mute button. You should receive an mute answer from the polycom. If you not receive, might be some config on polycom (I don't know if exists), or cable config, like I said on the other post.

I bet on the cable, if you resolve this problem let me know the solution!
  • Options
    For the SET BAUD, I use SEND_COMMAND

I use SEND_STRING for other commands because I don't use AMX module

And my commands end with $0D

So, the string that appears in the buffer -- does it include the $0A or just the $0D? If it includes the $0A, I'm at a loss.

Have you tried recycling power to the Polycom unit?

Also, make sure that the port that you are using on the Polycom is properly configured for "control". The ports can be set to other values -- I don't recall what they are, the manual describes the possibilities. If it's like the Polycom I looked at the other day, yours might have two RS232 ports on it. Try the other port.
  • Options
    Jeff BJeff B Posts: 37

1- I send string 'mute register' to the device when it comes online.

By sending the 'mute register' only when the device comes online you are counting on the Polycom being on and ready only at this time. Try sending this string when you turn on the system. This string MUST be sent to get the feedback from the Polycom. The Polycom will reply with 'mute registered' to to this command. If you don't get this reply then mute is not registered. Also check your wiring, to ensure you are getting an RX from the Polycom and not just a shorted loopback.

JB
  • Options
    OK, this is the situation :

1- I changed cable 3 times and I?ve check each with my meter. Pin 2 from MC goes to pin 3 in Polycom, pin 3 from MC goes to pin 2 in Polycom and pin 5 is straight.
    2- When I use Telnet or Hyperterminal I can send a command and receive a feedback. For example, I send mute near get and Telnet responds ?mute near off? or ?mute near on?. Same thing for all other commands. If I send all register, I receive a feedback for each registered command.
    3- When I use Control a device with Netlinx to do the same test, I don?t receive the feedback but the echo from my command.
    4- I?ve tried to use all master?s RS-232 ports.
    5- I?ve tried DATA.TEXT in DATA event and I?ve also tried CREATE_BUFFER. I didn?t receive feedback with CREATE_BUFFER, only echo from my command.

This is my code, maybe someone will see something I don?t?

PROGRAM_NAME='MAIN'
    (***********************************************************)
    (* DEVICE NUMBER DEFINITIONS GO BELOW *)
    (***********************************************************)
    DEFINE_DEVICE

// TOUCH PANELS
    dvTP = 10001:01:0 // General fonctions
    dvTP_VidConf = 10001:02:0 // Videoconference
    dvTP_AudConf = 10001:03:0 // Audioconference
    dvTP_Sat = 10001:04:0 // Sat receiver
    dvTP_Vol = 10001:05:0 // Volume
    dvTP_Channel = 10001:06:0 // Favorite channels

// RS-232
    dvPOLYCOM = 5001:03:0 // Polycom HDX-8002XL
    DEFINE_VARIABLE

VOLATILE CHAR cBuff_Polycom[255]
    DATA_EVENT [dvPOLYCOM]
    {
    ONLINE:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvPOLYCOM,"'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'"
    SEND_COMMAND dvPOLYCOM,"'RXON'"
    }

STRING:
    {
    cBuff_POLYCOM = DATA.TEXT

IF( FIND_STRING(cBuff_Polycom, 'mute near on', 1) )
    {
    ON[dvTP_AudConf,3]
    ON[dvTP_VidConf,5]
    }
    IF( FIND_STRING(cBuff_Polycom, 'mute near off', 1) )
    {
    OFF[dvTP_AudConf,3]
    OFF[dvTP_VidConf,5]
    }
    }
    }
    BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP_VidConf,3] // Local mute
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    IF( [dvTP_AudConf,3] )
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPOLYCOM,"'mute near off',$0D"
    }
    ELSE
    {
    SEND_STRING dvPOLYCOM,"'mute near on',$0D"
    }
    }
    }

Thanks for your help guys, appreciated.
  • Options
    What model is the codec? According to a recent thread here, HDX-7000 can be controlled via IP but not RS232.

Have you tried RS232 from your LT with Hyperterm or did you do IP with Hyperterm?
  • Options
    Model: HDX-8002XL

I use hyperterm with IP from my LT
  • Options
    chillchill Posts: 186
    First: In my experience, if you only get back exactly what you sent, that indicates some sort of wiring problem (see Diogo's comment). If it's feasible, you might try putting in another cable temporarily, just to confirm or rule out this idea.

Second: Jeff B is correct that the Polycom must be fully booted up before you can send your 'register' strings. And Hedberg is correct that there is nothing odd about Polycom in this respect - it's plain old RS232 and should work out of the box, just like an Extron switcher.

Something else to try: watch strings from the port in Notifications. Then, telnet into the Polycom and issue 'mute near get'. You should see (for example) 'mute near on' in both the telnet window AND your device notifications, if mute was properly registered.

HTH.
  • Options
    If the string comes back terminated by just the cr, it's likely the transmitted string returning. If it's terminated by a cr lf, then it must be coming from the Polycom as the string sent does not include the lf.

If the port on the Polycom is properly configured ('control', rather than pass-thru or one of the other available configurations which are, as I recall, only used for cameras), then it's probably time to call Polycom.
  • Options
    Jeff BJeff B Posts: 37
    Keep in mind that the standard Polycom telnet port, port 23, is chatty. this port replies to everything. Telnet on port 24 is quit, like the serial port, to get a reply the command must be registered.

JB
  • Options
    chill wrote: »
    First: In my experience, if you only get back exactly what you sent, that indicates some sort of wiring problem (see Diogo's comment). If it's feasible, you might try putting in another cable temporarily, just to confirm or rule out this idea.

This is a curious problem and I'm interested to see what the resolution is. I've been suspecting something with the cable, but the Polycom is taking the commands and changing its state -- it's just the feedback that is screwy. So, it seems very unlikely to me that he's just seeing the sent command returning -- in that case, the Polycom wouldn't execute the command, I think.
  • Options
    Guys,

It was the cable.

I don't know if it's the cable gauge or type but the installer used another type of cable and now it's working.

Very important : don't use a commercial cable with built-in connectors because if other pins than 2, 3 and 5 are used, the feedback doesn't run.

Link to similar problem : http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=5113&highlight=polycom

Thanks to all for helping!