Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Suggestions for future revisions of Studio

Comments

• Ker-asshh!
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Mine will carsh after a failed attempt to connect to a master. It doesn't happen right away but a few mouse clicks after closing the 'FAIL' warning. I've gotten in the habit of just closing out and reopening when it happens.

Thsi also happens in TPD4

I've found TPD4 crashing quite a lot after the master has disconnected (i.e. after an upload of anything to the master) and then trying a panel upload. I think I read something about that on here a while ago...

I had a weird one the other day, NS3 crashed after an upload, all my display preferences changed to yellow-text-on-black-back, and wouldn't let me edit anything! When I restarted and opened the source AXS I was working on, it still was yellow-on-black and uneditable. I reverted to an older version of the main source .AXS and resaved with all my (thankfully small!) changes of the newer version and it was fine... I think I know the problem. I TOLD my daughter not to feed them after midnight... :-)
  • Temp File storage

One thing occured to me today, when updating several TPs in a job, over and over again...how about a way of storing a TPD file on the Master, then whenever you connect a new TP it downloads the file when it comes online. Handy when swapping out duff TPs ;-) Also a good way of adding new ones, together with some kind of Auto-device-definition based on the rest of the system and then adding that TP to an array.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Enhanced default file locations

It would be nice if I could set preferences for the workspace that allow me to define default file paths to open when adding existing files to a project. Some of the options could be "Last Used Directory" and "Project Home Directory", but for the modules, I have a default directory that I store all of my modules in. It would be nice and save a little time if I started in that directory every time I add an existing module to the workspace. The same holds true for adding existing IR files (which are in the same folder, but could be in a separate folder).

To be clear, I would like to be able to set individual preferences for file paths used when adding existing files to each folder in a system.

Jeff
  • Universal Address Book

One thing we would love to see in our office is a universal address book similar to the one in the C-world.

This would allow all programs (NS, TPD, IRE, ect...) to use one address book to connect to devices. It would also allow you to export and better manage the list.

Another great feature to see in the address book would the ability to create sub-folders. For example one job site we have 15 different systems installed. Another we have 10 systems. If we had the ability to manage all of the systems into folders it would make connecting to systems a whole lot easier.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Sounds like a fun side project to start . . . :-) I'm full of those lately!
  • SCM Plugin

I am fairly new to this forum and am not sure if this has been mentioned. It would be nice if Netlinx Studio could interface with some of the popular SCM software that is out there. for example: Seapine, VSS 2005 etc. I am not sure if Duet does this? Anyone know?
  • feddxfeddx Posts: 167
    RE-ADD THE PJS CONVERSION!!

Really. Re-add the PJS conversion from NS2. This cannot be too difficult, right?
  • I just had a incident where I couldn't get the output bar to display that turned out to be that the output bar got set to be so small it didn't appear to be displaying even when it was. Maybe the output bar's minimum size that it can collapse to should be the height off the title bar under the open file tabs in the bar above it.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    This is a minor issue but it bugs me every time I run into it.

When using Save File Revision there is a field to update the revision text. By default, AMX uses an appended ",Rev 2" nomenclature. If you follow the defaults, and select "Update Name with Revision Text", the Program name and File name both get updated correctly with the new version information.

However, I prefer ",v2" instead of ",Rev 2". When I enter my text, say v3, it always appends to the end of my program name and file name, even if I use the same nomenclature. I end up with Name,v2,v3 and I have to manually fix both the program name and the file name.

It would be nice if "Update Name with Revision Text" would do a little search/replace to update the names correctly based on the text I've entered.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Colzie wrote: »
    This is a minor issue but it bugs me every time I run into it.

When using Save File Revision there is a field to update the revision text. By default, AMX uses an appended ",Rev 2" nomenclature. If you follow the defaults, and select "Update Name with Revision Text", the Program name and File name both get updated correctly with the new version information.

However, I prefer ",v2" instead of ",Rev 2". When I enter my text, say v3, it always appends to the end of my program name and file name, even if I use the same nomenclature. I end up with Name,v2,v3 and I have to manually fix both the program name and the file name.

It would be nice if "Update Name with Revision Text" would do a little search/replace to update the names correctly based on the text I've entered.

It would also be nice if studio went through the system in which the file exists and prompts if you would like to update your define_module statements to use the new revision.

Jeff
  • Watch Bar / Window - re-order fields

likely not a new suggestion but I'd love to be able to specify which columns appear in the Debugging Watch Window, or to reorder how they appear.

The Name and Value are the ones most interesting so I typically drag the size of the File & Length windows to be zero. Then I resize the Watch window and leave more screen space for looking at source files.

Noth earth shaking....It would be nice to not have to do all the sizing and arranging at the start of each debugging session.

Rich Abel
    Cello Technologies
  • Allow me to connect using a DCHP/DNS name rather than a static IP. Kepp th estatic but just add the rest.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Allow me to connect using a DCHP/DNS name rather than a static IP. Kepp th estatic but just add the rest.

Isn't this already in there? I connect to our remote sites using their dyndns names all the time?
  • I'll try it again, I just found out that DHCP at work is acting up and not working like it should..might be my issue.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    I would just like NS to not crash. This was never a problem on older builds. I have build 3.1.0374. I often get it to crash when I am loading larger jobs. I could be loading a panel or a processor, no rhyme or reason that I could tell. I'll restart NS and it immediately crashes again and again when I hit send...until I delete everything from my file transfer window and re add it or I think I can refresh my online tree and then try sending again. Big pain in the arse.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    In absence of any enterprise firmware management, I'd like NLS to at least play a sound on the PC when an entire firmware transfer has completed. That way I can set up a second box for firmware transfers and get notified (via the sound) when the transfer is complete. Maybe a "ting" for successful transfer, and a "bzzzz" for errors. Sitting around doing firmware updates on hundreds of boxes is not very efficient at present.

Some people may also find this (audio alert) useful on standard file transfers, though it would have been more useful back in the serial Accent days. Still, I don't know how large everyone else's programs are, nor how swift their IP traffic is. A check-box to enable/disable the audio feature in the respective dialogue boxes would be useful.

I can't imagine that it would be a terribly difficult addition to NLS. The firmware transfer dialogue already contains code to re-enable the "Close" button, which would be the most logical place to add the feature.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Allow us to create cold folding markers/labels. I group my events by function,and after they are completed I don't like to scroll through large amounts of code to go back and forth between functions and events.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Imo they should look at the big players in the IDE market.

The big players being: eclipse, netbeans, visual studio 2010 and xcode

Also, NS on Mac would be nice!
    Agreed
    Nerieru wrote: »
    Imo they should look at the big players in the IDE market.

The big players being: eclipse, netbeans, visual studio 2010 and xcode

Also, NS on Mac would be nice!

Since I'm a Windows / .NET guy . . . I'd go with VS2010. :D

Scintilla is getting a little old. :( It just feels so 1998.

The autocomplete really needs to be fixed too.
    jjames wrote: »

Well I named it because it's actually a good product! ;) So I wouldn't mind the vs2010 interface.

And I hear you at the autocomplete :(. Also moving across files should be easier, search in multiple files etc. etc.
  • chillchill Posts: 186

As I've said before in this thread... let's not "go with" anything. Let the user specify an external editor if (s)he wishes, with the built-in editor being the default.

BTW, this whole "my editor is better than yours" thing was done to death 20 years ago in the UNIX world. Just like everything else Microsoft. Oh, did I type that aloud? :^)
    chill wrote: »
    As I've said before in this thread... let's not "go with" anything. Let the user specify an external editor if (s)he wishes, with the built-in editor being the default.

BTW, this whole "my editor is better than yours" thing was done to death 20 years ago in the UNIX world. Just like everything else Microsoft. Oh, did I type that aloud? :^)

Of course they have to go in a certain direction. An external editor can work just fine, but not an IDE that can compile things, because you'd have to have the netlinx compiler installed and write a plugin for every IDE that people want to use. So IMO go with the MAJOR ones. Namely the VS2010, Eclipse and Netbeans. They can always build on, or allow users to make a plugin.

We just need to be able to compile it all. That way we can work in the environment of our choice.

p.s. No one is saying 'my editor is better than yours'.
  • travistravis Posts: 180
    Index to large
  • matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    travis wrote: »
    Index to large

I'd like to put my vote in for this one as well. That line makes me cringe every time I see it.
    Compiler request

A huge function I'd like to see in NS (and this would be more of a compiler / functional request) is regular expressions. As I toy around more and more with C# and writing quick little applications to automate a process that'd otherwise take forever, I'm seeing the huge potential of Regex.

Imagine parsing feedback with regex . . . you could have a "universal" parser of sorts.
    matt95gsr wrote: »
    I'd like to put my vote in for this one as well. That line makes me cringe every time I see it.

because of the grammatical error or the fact that a mistake was made? :p
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    because of the grammatical error or the fact that a mistake was made? :p

Maybe they are trying to cast an Index type to a Large type, but the cast is failing. :p
  • AvargasAvargas Posts: 57
    NS on macOS please, I can't stand windows any more.
  • jjames wrote: »
    A huge function I'd like to see in NS (and this would be more of a compiler / functional request) is regular expressions. As I toy around more and more with C# and writing quick little applications to automate a process that'd otherwise take forever, I'm seeing the huge potential of Regex.

Imagine parsing feedback with regex . . . you could have a "universal" parser of sorts.

I'll second this vote. RegEx (PERL flavoured) would be absolutely fantastic. I wonder if there is a way to compile http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_44_0/libs/regex/doc/html/index.html for vxWorks...

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
    annuello wrote: »
    I'll second this vote. RegEx (PERL flavoured) would be absolutely fantastic.
    I'd go with the PERL flavor - looks easier than .NET / C#. :) I still have to fight in wrapping my head around it when I use it in any applications, but it definitely is a time saver.

I'd imagine this is can all be done in Duet (and that'll be AMX's argument I'd bet) . . . we all just need to get a Duet license - but oh the cost (monetarily and system overhead.)