Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NXT-1700 Touch Tracking Off

Anyone having issues with NXT-1700 button target areas being off? I have two brand new touchpanels on my desk and even after calibrating them countless times (both with my finger and with the official AMX touchpanel "stylus") all the buttons in the horizontal center of the panel have target areas that are way way off. On the left 1/3rd and right 1/3rd of the panel, it's pretty close. If I hook up a mouse or connect via VNC, the buttons work perfectly so it seems to be a calibration issue between the overlay and the hardware. I've called tech support but since we don't have "support" they won't even talk to me. Just posting here to see if anyone has seen this or knows if it's a known issue or any info.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    sentry07 wrote:
    I've called tech support but since we don't have "support" they won't even talk to me.
    Gotta love the BullsEye BS! Go online, fill out an RMA and ship them back. Of course AMX could save themselves money by letting you talk with some one in TS but since they won't the only thing to do is stop wasting time and ship them back for an advance replacement providing they'll allow it.

If your customer complains about not having their TPs on time just tell them that AMX doesn't provide free support for their products unless you meet a quota first.

While your're waiting for a response for your RMA request you could try a firmware reload although you probably already have.
  • sentry07sentry07 Posts: 77
    They snuck in a new firmware version since the last time I looked. Just loaded it and still the same problem. I wish I could send these back for RMA and we may have to, but I need them to finish programming right now. I was calling more to help them try to figure out if maybe they have a bad run of touchpanels/overlays or something, but after the complete denial I got, I'm more concerned with the end product now. I have a 16x32 matrix on one page and it is almost impossible to use now because half the time when you press one button, it turns on the crosspoint next to it. Yay.
    How close are the buttons? Do they overlap at all? Are they active touch or bounding box type buttons? Icons, images or just TPD4 drawn buttons. Could try switching from one type to the other and see if that helps.

Try the advance exchange so you keep your TPs until their replacements arrive.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's probably going to need an RA in any case. I can't think of anything you can do yourself to resolve it; it's in the hardware.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    My touch goes off track as well sometimes.. Sorry couldn't keep myself from doing it :P.

Anyway, just get AR and you should be fine. Nothing YOU can do about it at this point.
  • sentry07,

Can you post your pages. Or at least a stripped down pages that shows your touch not working well.

Please include firmware version and serial number too.

Chris
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    So, is the forum becoming the kinda 'back door' way into tech support?
    ericmedly wrote:
    So, is the forum becoming the kinda 'back door' way into tech support?
    It's always been my primary means of TS even before this BS began. In 5 years I've called TS about 5 times and 2 of those times were at the request of my rep to verify what I learned on the forum was actually the case, which BTW it was.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vining wrote: »
    ericmedly wrote:

It's always been my primary means of TS even before this BS began. In 5 years I've called TS about 5 times and 2 of those times were at the request of my rep to verify what I learned on the forum was actually the case, which BTW it was.

Tru dat!
    I can't tell you how many times this forum has saved my bacon.

But, I've always understood the venue in which all advice is given or taken on the board. :)

and don't get me wrong... I like when AMXers chime in to help.

I was just teasing them a bit for breach of policy. (a little rebellion now and then is a good thing)

:D
    Here is the TPD4 file. I have two NXT-1700s, one has v2.86.14 firmware that I just updated yesterday and one has the firmware that came from the factory v2.73.13. Serial numbers are 225756X4490006 and 225761X5390011. Same issue on both panels.

I'm uploading a video right now that I just took, starting with me calibrating the panel and then showing where the issue occurs. I will post the link when it is done.
  • Thanks for the video. That helps show us what is going on. I will have this loaded on a panel and see if I see the same thing. By the way, leave the naked lady out of the video next time. Might offend some people. (Note: this is a sure way to get a ton of hits on that video).
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    sentry07 wrote: »
    Here is the TPD4 file. I have two NXT-1700s, one has v2.86.14 firmware that I just updated yesterday and one has the firmware that came from the factory v2.73.13. Serial numbers are 225756X4490006 and 225761X5390011. Same issue on both panels.

I'm uploading a video right now that I just took, starting with me calibrating the panel and then showing where the issue occurs. I will post the link when it is done.

Does it do the same thing on other panel files? Could you have hit some upper limit on the number of buttons? That's a lot of buttons!
    Paul
    There's 496 crosspoints, to be exact. The absolute limit for any page or popup page is 500 buttons. But it doesn't seem to matter how many buttons are on the page. I have other pages in the project with something like 30-40 buttons and have the same issue, same amount of offset.

If I remember correctly, the OOTB demo on the second panel had the same issue when I first turned it on (I had been working on the first 1700 for a while before grabbing the second one). I can make a panel file with 10 buttons and test it in the morning, but I'm almost certain I will see the same result. Like I said, I can hook up a USB mouse or VNC into the panel and the target areas for each and every button is correct. After recalibrating the panel, it seems the offset gets worse from left to right. So, whenever the button presses from the overlay are being translated to coordinates, it seems like the math is off either in the calibration code or in the event code or I could be totally wrong and need to shut up and let engineering fix it. :)

Thanks guys!
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Are you using bounding box or active?
    Paul
    I've tried both with the same result.
    rgelling wrote:
    By the way, leave the naked lady out of the video next time. Might offend some people.
    I missed a naked lady? Damn, I find them quite pleasing myself. :)
    She was behind the touchpanel. Can't believe you missed her!
    They must have fixed the breach. :( Oh well, it was worth a try.
  • We have the panel file and will load it onto a couple of 1700VG panels and see if we can duplicate your results. Stay tuned.
    Hey guys, back with an update. I was shown how to get into the calibration test screen (hold down the calibrate button on the protected setup screen) and have confirmed that it is in fact a hardware problem. After freshly calibrating the touchpanel, I go into the test screen and touch on the left side of the screen and the crosshair shows up pretty close to where I touch, but in the center and to the right, the crosshair is at least 1/4-3/8" off. It's so far off, in fact, that the left point of the crosshair is at the point where I'm touching.

More of a question for the Engineering guys that answered here, do we RMA? The two that I have show the problem. I believe we have 3-4 more on site and I've already called to have them test those.
  • Sorry I have not responded on this. I have been quite busy the last couple of weeks. We did investigate and found some of the boards we looked at to need some minor mods done to them. This is a simple matter of removing some resistors that are unnecessary but are causing the touch readings to be a little off. This is on a small batch of boards. Not on all of them. We caught a few of these in stock. I strongly suspect you have a couple of these as well. You should send the panels in for a quick mod.
    Just send me a picture of the resistors that need to be removed...I'll cut the little buggers off.

:) Just kidding. Can I drop your name whenever I call to get the RMAs? Going to be kinda hard to 'splain this one to them I think.
  • sentry07 wrote: »
    Just send me a picture of the resistors that need to be removed...I'll cut the little buggers off.

:) Just kidding. Can I drop your name whenever I call to get the RMAs? Going to be kinda hard to 'splain this one to them I think.

Sure. That shouldn't be a problem. The panels need a simple hardware mod to be brought up to the latest rev'd board version. These are just a couple that fell through the cracks.