Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Forum Comment Window

Usually when I post or edit a comment and I'm in the text entry window my cursor acts erractic at times and jumps around. If I leave the window and then return I often have a hard time trying to get my cursor to the point that I left off and if I move my cursor around outside the text entry field the text already in the box scrolls erractically but I think this only occurs when there's more text then what fits into a single window and the scroll bar appears. I often have to use the arrows to get my cursor to where I need it since hovering makes the text move around and I'm not fast enough to keep up. :)

It's very annoying so could you look into a fix on your end cuz I don't think it's a problem on my end but who knows, it could be but I never had an issue until the forum got updated.

TIA

Comments

• Happened to me too. I assumed it was something on my end, but now... maybe not.
    --John
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 0
    Can you give me some steps to reproduce this?

I have been unsuccesful.

Also operating system, browser version.

Thanks!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've noticed this behavior on many such things. (Like Facebook and whatnot.) I seem to notice it particularly when I'm typing a long post that takes up more than the alloted lines available in the text window. Normally the scroll bar appears as if allowing you to scroll up and down. But, I find the scroll doesn't work and you can't get to the bottom of the text unless you locate the cursor somewhere in the text and use the directional arrows to get down.

when it does this the cursor seems to be erratic and jump all over the place.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I've noticed this behavior on many such things. (Like Facebook and whatnot.) I seem to notice it particularly when I'm typing a long post that takes up more than the alloted lines available in the text window. Normally the scroll bar appears as if allowing you to scroll up and down. But, I find the scroll doesn't work and you can't get to the bottom of the text unless you locate the cursor somewhere in the text and use the directional arrows to get down.

when it does this the cursor seems to be erratic and jump all over the place.
    That's exactly what I get & need to do.
    IE8 v 8.0.6001.1870212
    Win XP Pro
    Running on a MAC Pro using Bootcamp
    2GB RAM assigned to the Win partition
    4GB RAM assigned to the MAC partition
    2 x 22" monitors and 1 x 21" Wacom tablet used as a 3rd monitor 99.9% of the time

another thing that's annoying is if I scroll down and move the cursor away from the scroll bar it scrolls back up on its own so I basically just give up and get my cursor somewhere in the text field and use my arrows like e. to move to where I wanna be.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Noticed the same thing here to when using IE8 (8.0.6001.18702)/WinXP SP3. Doesn't seem to do it from Chrome/OSX combo though.
    vining wrote: »
    That's exactly what I get & need to do.
    IE8 v 8.0.6001.1870212
    Win XP Pro
    Running on a MAC Pro using Bootcamp
    2GB RAM assigned to the Win partition
    4GB RAM assigned to the MAC partition
    2 x 22" monitors and 1 x 21" Wacom tablet used as a 3rd monitor 99.9% of the time

another thing that's annoying is if I scroll down and move the cursor away from the scroll bar it scrolls back up on its own so I basically just give up and get my cursor somewhere in the text field and use my arrows like e. to move to where I wanna be.

Can you confirm this occurs when you have more text in the box and the scrollbars appear?

I am seeing some issues with XP and IE8 but not on 7
    Thanks.
    OOPS. I forgot to give you all my vitals too.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro on the two machines and IE.

I'm sending this message on a Mac with 10.5.xxx and Safari Version 5.0 (5533.16)

I'll try and type a bunch here and see what happens.

One Hen
    Two Ducks
    Three Squawking Geese
    Four Limerick Oysters
    Five Corpuline Porpoises
    Six Pairs Of Don Alfonzos Tweezers
    Seven thousand Macedonians in full battle array
    Eight brass Monkeys from the ancient sacred crypts of Egypt.
    Nine sympathetic, diabetic old men on roller skates who persist in procrastination on sloth.
    Ten denizens of the deep who hall-stall around the quo, quay and quivvy all at the same time.

Now, here it seems to be behaving.
    It's working normally.

'tis a mystery...
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Can you confirm this occurs when you have more text in the box and the scrollbars appear?

I am seeing some issues with XP and IE8 but not on 7
    Thanks.

As I've said before it does appear to be related to the presence of the scrollbar and usually acts up more if I actually use the scroll bar. At times the scrollbar jitters and other times it flutters.
  • I'm running Win7Pro 32-bit/IE8 8.0.7600.16385, and it's kind of doing it now. As your cursor passes over the text in the "Your Message" box, then out of the box, the scroll bar keeps changing shape. In some cases once you've gone back into the text box and try to highlight some text, by clicking and dragging the cursor wtih the mouse, the scroll get's all screwed up and the text in the box starts jumping up and down. The cursor didn't get wiggy on me this time though.

Steps I did:
    1) Type a long post
    2) Preview the post
    3) Move the cursor out of the message text box then back into the text box
    4) Highlight the text by left-clicking the mouse and dragging the cursor down, causing the message text box to automatically scroll downward.
    5) Continue highlighting all the way to the last character.
    6) Release the left-click button
    7) Text box will jump upwards
    8) Trying to scroll gets wierd... although this time it wasn't like past times where it does what Vining described.

I'm sending this message on a Mac with 10.5.xxx and Safari Version 5.0 (5533.16)

One Hen
    Two Ducks
    Three Squawking Geese
    Four Limerick Oysters
    Five Corpuline Porpoises
    Nine sympathetic, diabetic old men on roller skates who persist in procrastination on sloth.
    Ten denizens of the deep who hall-stall around the quo, quay and quivvy all at the same time.

It's working normally.

'tis a mystery...

Some text in-between

One Hen
    Two Ducks
    Three Squawking Geese
    Four Limerick Oysters
    Five Corpuline Porpoises

It's working normally.

'tis a mystery...
  • Found another way to reproduce one of the symptoms:
    1) Type or edit a post long enough to allow scrolling up and down.
    2) Scroll down to the bottom of the post.
    3) Scroll up one or two lines using either your mouse scroll wheel or by clicking the scroll bar.
    4) When you try to place your cursor in a specific place, the text will scroll quickly when you click and your cursor will end up in a different spot.

Another way:
    1) Type or edit a post long enough to allow scrolling up and down.
    2) Scroll down to the bottom of the post by clicking and dragging the scroll bar down.
    3) Move your mouse pointer into and out of the text box and the text will scroll upward a few lines each time the mouse pointer goes from out of the text box to a place within the text box.

--John
    I'm running Win7Pro 32-bit/IE8 8.0.7600.16385, and it's kind of doing it now. As your cursor passes over the text in the "Your Message" box, then out of the box, the scroll bar keeps changing shape. In some cases once you've gone back into the text box and try to highlight some text, by clicking and dragging the cursor wtih the mouse, the scroll get's all screwed up and the text in the box starts jumping up and down. The cursor didn't get wiggy on me this time though.

Steps I did:
    1) Type a long post
    2) Preview the post
    3) Move the cursor out of the message text box then back into the text box
    4) Highlight the text by left-clicking the mouse and dragging the cursor down, causing the message text box to automatically scroll downward.
    5) Continue highlighting all the way to the last character.
    6) Release the left-click button
    7) Text box will jump upwards
    8) Trying to scroll gets wierd... although this time it wasn't like past times where it does what Vining described.

Some text in-between
    It has to be something with Win7 and/or IE or whatnot. I find the same thing happens on Facebook and even one of my online email clients. I hate Windows.
    There is a bug reported with this, 4.0.4 has a fix for the issue, but causes some other issues. 4.0.5 should be out shortly and we will update the code.

Thanks for your patience.