Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware Endeleo Media Distribution

UDM-0808 doesn't come online in TCP/IP listen mode

Hello,

I have a problem with a UDM-0808.
It doesn't come online in an AMX Netlinx system when i use the Master connection mode "TCP/IP listen".
However it works fine if i use the Master connection mode "TCP/IP URL"

I need however this device to work using the listen mode because i need 2 seperate Netlinx masters to connect to it

see
http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?6816-One-touchpanel-two-masters....how-to-dynamically-connect-to-the-touchpanel
for more information why i need this.

Comments

• freijnenfreijnen Posts: 18
    Nobody has an idea how to solve this?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I know this old and now probably useless info but do you have the UDP broadcast rate set to 0 in the masters? I beleive this needs to be set to some value other than 0 for "listen" to work. The masters need to periodically broadcast their existance for listening devices to hear.
  • Hello Vining,

Thanks for your reply.
    But the matter seems to be solved by a new firmware for the UDM-0808.
  • vining,

I think you're confusing "listen" with "auto." In "auto" the device needs to see a UDP broadcast. Once it hears the broadcast, the device attempts a TCP connection to the master. "Listen" does not; the device simply listens for a TCP connection originated by a Master via a Master URL list entry.

Chuck
    vining,

I think you're confusing "listen" with "auto." In "auto" the device needs to see a UDP broadcast. Once it hears the broadcast, the device attempts a TCP connection to the master. "Listen" does not; the device simply listens for a TCP connection originated by a Master via a Master URL list entry.

Chuck
    I'm usually confused. :)

Ok but what about touch panels that aren't in the M2M URL list running in "listen" mode. Do these TPs run a simple server when in listen mode on a particular port and do the masters just run through the possible IP addresses for their subnet attempting to initiate a connection on this port? If something accepts they exchange greeting cards, if not it move to the next IP address and knock on their door?

How does this work?
  • There is no such thing in the master to try and scan all IPs on a subnet. All outgoing connections must be done by URL entries in the URL list. If a TP is in listen mode, and a master needs to connect to the panel, the URL of the panel must be entered into the URL list for a connection to be made. If a proper URL is not in the URL list, no connection will be made.
    That makse sense but I've never heard of putting anything other than masters in the URL list. Very interesting.
  • Yes, you have to put the URL of the touchpanel (or UDM0808 in this case) in the URL list of the master. Then the master will search for the device and connect to it when it's online.
    I have used this method to make a backup system for the master.

All devices (touchpanels and udm0808's) are in listen mode and connected to Master A.
    Master A sends watchdog messages to Master B using MasterToMaster communication.
    When Master B doesn't recieve watchdog messages anymore, Master A must be down. Then Master B dynamically load's it's URL list with all the IP adresses for the touchpanels and UDM0808's in the system and takes over control.

When Master A comes online again, and sends a watchdog message to Master B, Master B dynamically deletes all the IP's from its list so Master A can take back control over everything.

I have used this method to make a system (containing 4 UDM0808's and 10 touchpanels) failsave in case of a problem with a Ni Master. When Master A goes offline, Master B takes over within 1,5 minutes.