Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

All Escient products discontinued

I was hearing some rumors, so I decided to look into them, and in their announcements section on Escient.com there is a notice that D&M Holdings (who owns Escient, as well as Marantz, Snell, and Denon) is completely discontinuing the product line. I suppose they acquired them just for the technology rights. Warranty repairs and customer service are still available (it wasn't clear if non-warranty service is going to be provided, will find out soon enough since I have one that needs fixing).

I have to wonder if this means we will be seeing a Marantz or Denon media server in the near future using whatever tech rights D&M got with the Escient brand. It always seemed a shame to me that Escient, being one of the first out there with a consumer-level server, dropped the ball so conclusively ... frankly the product was just awful in recent years in terms of reliability.

Comments

• You spend the Christmas holiday catching up on old magazines? ;) Escient closed back in April. They are providing non-warranty repairs, but they are expensive! Much cheaper to find a replacement on Ebay.

Plus considering D&M bought Escient in 2003, I don't think you can say they bought them for rights. Plenty of Escient products came in those 7 years. Ultimately it was the complete failure of their last product (the Vision DVD server) that brought them down.

FWIW, D&M closed Snell at the same time.

Kevin D.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I'm glad Escient is gone - they produced some very unfriendly products in my opinion. I've always hated interfacing with their Fireballs.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    shr00m-dew wrote: »
    You spend the Christmas holiday catching up on old magazines? ;) Escient closed back in April. They are providing non-warranty repairs, but they are expensive! Much cheaper to find a replacement on Ebay.

Plus considering D&M bought Escient in 2003, I don't think you can say they bought them for rights. Plenty of Escient products came in those 7 years. Ultimately it was the complete failure of their last product (the Vision DVD server) that brought them down.

FWIW, D&M closed Snell at the same time.

Kevin D.

Actually, I spent my Christmas vacation flat on my back with a fever, and only got back to work Wednesday ... but I haven't actively been following the Escient saga. It just happens that I own one, and mine died over the holidays. When my service guy told me their old service center was closed and they referred him to a new one was when I looked into it.