Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Lockup while using firmware updater

floodstagefloodstage Posts: 13
Updating DR260 to firmware version 1.6000

Hooked up cable, booted computer and DR260, loaded software, opened software

Connected

Started update, seems like everything was working, but then...... the DR260 locked up

When it locks up, the DR260 display says:
WRITE ADDR 00002121

The computer screen says:
Error sending data

I shut off DR260 and rebooted. The display says:
Waiting for Flash Download
0F100000

It's stuck. Reboots don't help.

What to do?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Will it start up without the computer cable connected?
    If not, hard reset.

Dra
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Did you do a hard reset before you installed the update?
    G
  • Options
    floodstagefloodstage Posts: 13
    I did not hard reset before trying to update.

(Didn't see that in the directions)

It will not hard or soft reset now, with or without the computer hooked up

When I boot the DR-260 now, the display says:

0F100000
  • Options
    Sounds like you need to contact tech support.

Dra
  • Options
    Floodstage, I've had the same trouble. I was hoping I could find a quick fix here or something simple that I overlooked, but a call to tech support seems to be in my future too.

Let us know if you have success, would you?
  • Options
    Hey SP,
    This thread is almost 2 months old. You may need to PM him.

DRA
  • Options
    Good point. I appreciate you pointing that out.
  • Options
    For the (hopeful) benefit of others, I'd like to share my experience and resolution with this issue.

I've experienced the precise situation as described above by floodstage. Since then I've contacted support who suggested that I adjust the com port baud rate to 38400. This did not help. It was then suggested that the Pentium II 333mHz laptop I'm using might be \"underpowered\" for the update. This left me with two choices: 1) purchase a USB - Serial adapter and use another machine to attempt the update or 2) send the 260 unit to a service center for reset/update.

I went with option 1 which, upon installing the adapter drivers and updater software on another machine, gave me immediate results. I was surprised how long the update took but it went without a hitch!

I hope this helps others or in the least offers a little insight as to why the update may fail. As a side note, I recommend this adapter by KEYSPAN and avoid Belkin.
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hey Sonic,

Thanks for the info!... It will definately come in handy...:)

Kevin
  • Options
    I haven't posted in a while but noticed the thread was back up, so I thought it would be good to say how the problem finally was resolved.

After my last post, I dealt with support through e-mail and then phone. We tried a number of things (using different versions of firmware update software, attempting to reset in a number of ways, etc..) Once they determined it wasn't user error on my part, they issued an RA. I shipped the 260 to DBX. They found a problem in the circuitry behind the control panel, fixed the problem, updated the firmware, and sent it back to me all in a very short amount of time. (10 calendar days including shipping both ways)

The 260 has been back for quite a while and has been working fine using the new firmware update.
  • Options
    We all appreciate follow-ups. It is very helpful.

DRA

PS- Curious... who paid shipping to and from?
  • Options
    They paid.

Once they got it on the bench, they found the problem and said that it was an very unusual problem (one I assume they thought shouldn't happen) so they took care of it and ate the service fee and shipping. If it had been a user inflicted problem, I would have had to pay.

DBX was more than fair with me and I will remember that when I get ready to buy my next DSP!
  • Options
    inf2inf2 Posts: 10
    floodstage wrote:
    Updating DR260 to firmware version 1.6000

Hooked up cable, booted computer and DR260, loaded software, opened software

Connected

Started update, seems like everything was working, but then...... the DR260 locked up

When it locks up, the DR260 display says:
    WRITE ADDR 00002121

The computer screen says:
    Error sending data

I shut off DR260 and rebooted. The display says:
    0F100000

It's stuck. Reboots don't help.

What to do?

i have this trouble too... You found solution?
  • Options
    Hello inf2,

1) What operating system are you using?

2) Does you computer have a serial comm. port or are you using an USB adapter?... If you're using an USB adapter what is the make and model?

3) How old is you computer and what speed is it?

Kev
  • Options
    Hello Kpippen!

1) Iam use next computers:
    - Win XP SP1 (P3 733)
    - Win XP SP2 (P4 1.8)
    - Vista - dont work (Core2 Duo 2.1)

2) all computers have own com-port
    com port speed 34800

--

when i setup 1.510 firmware i get next message:

ERR 03 PRESS PREVPG

if press PREV PG DR260 says:
    CONNECTED
    0F100000

PC says: Error sending data
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hello inf2,

This what I recommend:
      1) Use the computer with WinXP SP2 (P4.1)8)... 2) Go to: My Computer->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Ports (Com & LPT)->Com1 (if Com1)->Port Setting Tab and make sure your comm. port is set to 38400, 8, none, 1, none...
    Note: If your comm. port is not \"Com1\" then make sure you match the comm. port number on the firmware update screen...

3) Do a Hard Factory Reset on DriveRack.

Factory (“HARD�) Reset
      Press and hold the <STORE> button at power-up until the following message appears: “! HARD RESET?� “Yes <PREV PAGE>� \"No <PROGRAM>� • Pressing the <PREV PAGE> button will start a Factory Reset (All User Programs will become copies of the Factory Programs, all Utility settings will be defaulted, and all Security settings will be defaulted). • Pressing the <PROGRAM> button will abort the Factory Reset sequence and the unit will reset normally.

4) Following this procedure (carefully) step by step...

http://www.dbxpro.com/Download/pdfs/260_FirmwareUpdate_Procedure.pdf

5) If the firmware update is sucessful repeat step 3), and do another Hard Factory Reset...
    Post back and let me know how it goes...

Kev
  • Options
    Call DBX tech support.

They helped me out and my 260 has been working great ever since.

(It did require a trip back to the factory for service though)
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You know, if the update was of much use I could see it, but the fact that it really only adds ,in my opinion \"pretty useless\" preset updates, makes me wonder why anyone even bothers to do this...I saw the update list and opted to leave well enough alone. Even if the preset had PEQ and delay settings they could easily be entered manually for any given speaker system...which would take ..oh.. a few minutes...Why spend hours...even days fighting with the update...

Just my..$.02 :roll:
  • Options
    Kpippen,
    Com port settings - OK!
    Hard reset - don't work ((((
  • Options
    inf2,

Did you try the update with the computer that has WinXP SP2 (P4.1)?...

Also,...like Gadget recommended the update may not be worth it... If the DriveRack is locked-up PM me your email address and I can send you an earlier firmware to try...

Kev
  • Options
    kpippen,

yes, XP SP2, P4 2.40GHz.

see PM, i send my e-mail
  • Options
    The first thing DBX when they helped me with my 260 was send me older firmware versions to try so people advising you to do that are giving you good advice.

When my 260 locked, I tried rebooting, loading older firmware (tried 2 different versions), etc etc etc. It would act like it was going to load the firmware but wouldn't ever complete the process. Nothing would make it do anything.

If you are truly locked like I was (can't reset, can't load older firmware, etc) then you won't be getting it fixed until you involve DBX tech support. Call them! I'm glad I did. They were very helpful, took care of me, and my 260 works great now (going on 20 shows since the repair)
  • Options
    Hello inf2,

I just emailed you the earlier version of firmware... Use the WinXP SP2 (P4.1) to load this... If this does not work let us know... You may need to do the same thing that floodstage has done and will have to send your unit to a DBX repair center... Since you're located in Russia I may like to try a few more things before you do that...

Cheers!

Kev
  • Options
    Hello inf2,

I had realized that the older firmware I sent you was ver 1.510 which is what you are trying to install... The current firmware is ver 1.6.00 so I also sent that one for you to try out... If this version doesn't load either very quickly fast cycle power (toggle the on/off switch very fast two or three times) to your DriveRack... Then try the hard reset procedure again... If that doesn't work try the following soft reset procedure:

System (“SOFT�) Reset
      • Press and hold the <UTILITY> button at power-up until the following message appears: “! SOFT RESET?� “Yes <PREV PAGE>� “No <PROGRAM>� • Pressing the <PREV PAGE> button will start a System Reset (All Utility settings will be defaulted.) • Pressing the <PROGRAM> button will abort the System Reset sequence and the unit will reset normally.

Post back and let know how it goes...

Kev
  • Options
    Hello, kpippen!

firmware 1.510 get next results:
    DR:
    WRITE ADDR 00002217

ER 003 PRESS PREVPG

PC: 10-20secconds freezed, then say \"Error sending data\"

1.6 freezing on WRITE ADDR 0000230D

procedure \"on-of\" DR dont get positive result...

soft & hard reset dont work....
  • Options
    Hello Inf2,

Go to: My Computer->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Ports (Com & LPT)->Com1 (if Com1)->Port Setting Tab

This time click on \"restore defaults\"... This will set your comm. port speed to 9600... Also click on advanced button and click on \"restore defaults\"... Try upgrading the firmware again with the default settings... The comm. port should automatically adjust to the DriveRack if it needs to... If this doesn't work then I would also try the computer with WinXP SP1 (P3 733)...

If this works then I would try to load the current firmware I sent you ver 1.6.00... If you do get the firmware upgrade loaded be sure to do a hard reset afterwards...

It appears that the comm. port is dropping communications with the DriveRack during the upgrade... I have worked with another user that had a very similar problem but they were using an USB adapter... They had tried three different adapters and we found that the Keyspan USA-19HS solved the problem... I don't know if these are available in your country but Keyspan does have an \"international page\" under \"where to buy\"... This adapter is also Vista compatible...8)

The only other option at this point is to send your DriveRack to DBX for repair as floodstage did... Sorry,...I wish I could have been more help...:(

Kev
  • Options
    dont work... (

kpippen, thank you for help! I send message to DBX tech.support.
  • Options
    inf2,

Sorry,...can't say we didn't try... Post back and let us know what they find...

Kev
  • Options
    DBX support dont respond......
  • Options
    inf2 wrote:
    DBX support dont respond......
    Did you try this email address?...

support@dbxpro.com

Kev