Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Eqing the system

2»

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ish...no real improvement there...not what Dra wrote but what you suggested...I don't see the JRX as much of a step up actually...

Minimum I'd even consider are the Yamaha S115V @ ZZOUNDS $329 with free stand
    Better: Carvin LS1503 $710 a pair shipped

Better yet: Peavey SP 2 @ $ 499 are the only real speaker in that catagory..

The Peavey's would be the only ones that could carry any size club with out much question... I have an older pair of the SP2's and man do they crank! I use them out at the Ski hill and you can hear them all the way to the top! and thats using a BEH 2500 amp in bridged mono 1/2 space...

G
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you can swing the SP-2's that would be good. If they charge tax that may kill the deal. Ask GC if they can get other brands on special orders.

DRA
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    You may want to check out Community Loudspeakers... I've been hearing lots about their bang for the buck$... Look at the MVP series...:D

Kev
  • Options
    DUH... but like the Yorkville U150's well out of his price range Kevin...under $500...

Gadget
  • Options
    My local GC guy told me the same thing, that if I'm gonna do this then I should go with the Peavey SP-2's. He was also harping on Yamaha, but he said JBL's he can't stand until they get into the higher quality ones. I think the SP-2 is going to be my target... now I just need to get him to hook me up with a really good price for them. Fortunatley I have developed a good relationship with my sales guy [I only buy from him] and he is straight up with me when it comes to gear quality and bang for the buck. He is the one that talked me into the DRPA as a matter a fact. Thanks for the info, now how am I going to come up with the $$$???
  • Options
    Sell your body :shock: oops...sorry, just thinking out loud.. I don't know, but I would get the SP-2's.. buy once cry once...
    Gadget :?
  • Options
    Holy crap you guys aren't gonna believe this... I just opened up the mail from yesterday and got a $500 check [well $489.00] back from my insurance company because of a mistake in payments. The music Gods are on my side. Woooohoooo 1/2 way there.
  • Options
    I got one of the SP2's on Monday and I'm getting the 2nd one probably Friday or Saturday. Man this thing is twice the size as my 115HCii's, in fact it's about the same size as a PV118 Subwoofer if not even a little bigger. Anyway's I plugged it in for band practice last night. I had about 1/2hr before we started so I pulled back the carpet to expose the concrete beneath... tilted the SP2 and slammed a guitar stand behind it to wedge it at an angle... grabbed the trusty RTA mic and set it up about an 1/8\" from the floor aimed straight down... rewired everything to accommodate from Stereo to Bridged mode... turned everything on and set up a new Program in the DRPA and then did my Auto EQ, twice for good measure... called in the Bass player to help me set everything back up so we could practice... and in the process turned off my DRPA without saving the new AutoEQ of the SP2--- crapola. Oh well, it still sounded good even with the one speaker playing along side one of the old 115HCii. Can't wait to get the other and see how 2 of these bad boys sound together. One thing that really bites is that the SP2 is not one of the listed Speakers in the DRPA like I thought it was. Is it that big a deal that its not listed??
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Is it that big a deal that its not listed??
    Not really, except if you are bi-amping the SP2 it will help you with the PEQ adjustments (required for biamping).
    Like I said earlier, download the Peavey controller and see what it does with the SP2 in bi-amp mode.

DRA