Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

New User.Seaker selection

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dra,

With the CE2000 bridged, I can get 1350-8 ohms and 1950 at 4ohms. Alot better than the CE1000 with 900 at 8 and 1100 at 4.
    I need some help though.. I have looked everywhere online and havnt found anything on the set of speakers we have hooked up at the moment. They are \"OLD\" Crate PS-1510H. We have 2 hooked up with a chain and ran to channel 1 with a speakon cable.All i know about them is this
    It has the available features: 1-15\" speaker, 1-10\" speaker and 1- 4X10 Horn. 250 W Program/125W Continuous. Bi amp mode Hi input, Bi amp mode Lo in/out, Bi amp full range inpute and high frequency attenuator. Works great and is in great shape.
    How would you guys set this up in your opinion. The way we have it set up at the moment is 1/4\" cable running all the way to the other side into the input of the other one and the output going to the amp with a speakon. The 15\" speaker hits pretty good. I wonder if I could maybe bi-amp it and use that 15\" as a woofer and the 10\" and the horn as my mid and highs. They sound very good at the moment but if you havnt noticed everything that I have mentioned in my posts are like 10 years old. lol.
    Heres a the identical speakers at a website for sale.
    http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/msg/584547593.html
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    I have Crown 4 x CE 1000 and 2 x Crown CE2000 at work
    Never been turned off for 4 years
    Never failed
    (except for small mouse problem)

Mark
  • Options
    Yeah, I dont plan on changing amps. Just checking on how to set up the Crates that have no info on them. Now that sucks...
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    I too am unable to find info on the Crates for you

Mark

PS You could sell them???
    Not your model but he may want them
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Chris,
    I have window Thursday (tomorrow) afternoon. I have to be somewhere before 7:00. All I plan to set up is 2) E12's on stands and a DJ mixer (and DRPA of course) with mic. Play a variety of songs snippets and do a little mic work. Should be down and dirty. Let me know if Thursday works and we'll finalize plans. About 5- 6:30 is my window.

DRA

PS - that is good good news on the amps.
  • Options
    Dra,

Tomorrow is great. I have nothing planned so that would work out well. My e-mail is chrisu7582@yahoo.com. IF you need my cell let me know. Dra, In your opinion, how would set up the Crates I was talking about. I can't find anything on them..
  • Options
    I'll assume that you are not going to fly these. I'll also assume that these are loaners.
    I would lay them on their side so the horn can work horizontally. Try to get the horn height about standing head high for the audience. Use tables or whatever is available. Make sure that they are in front of the podium.
    Since they are loaners and old as dirt, set up a 1 x 2 or 2 x 2 depending on whether you run mono or stereo. Set a High pass filter at 65hz BW18. I thinks for the AFS I'd set 8 or 10 fixed and use speech for all. Set live lift to 5 to 20 secs. Use the podium mic to set these.

DRA
  • Options
    Chris, Check your E-mail.
  • Options
    I did.. nothing other than an e-mail that says I didnt get them in time. See me at 5 30 tomorrow.lol. I still dont have directions..
  • Options
    Check again.

DRA
  • Options
    Anyone have any suggestions on a sub to go with 2 Yorkville E12'a.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    well.. the Yorkville LS series subs are well regarded... whats the budget?

G
  • Options
    I would like to keep it around $250-$500
  • Options
    Hey. Which would you prefer. The Yorkville E12 or the Peavy SP2?
  • Options
    Depends on if you want a 12\" or a 15\". The Peavey's are power rated about double the Yorkvilles, but Yorkville rates very conservatively and Peavey probably stretches a bit. I believe that Peavey still uses CTL protection for the horn. Yorkville uses a newer approve. The E12 has a polyester horn diaphram (smooth), the SP2 a titanium diaphram (crisp). A 12\" cab will be smaller. The 12\" will be better suited for vocal applications, especially if adding a sub. The 15\" cab will be heavier and fuller sounding without a sub. The sp2 has 10 up and 30 down horn dispersion. The E12 has 25 up / 25 down. If you fly these, that may or may not mean anything. You'll need to lay out the room profile and see what the coverages does from the fly height. It is all give and take. Does appearence matter? Would you rather see a blue name placard or a red one. An all black grill and no visable horn vs a gray grill and visable horn. Visually, one is more passive and the other more aggressive. If you pole the under 30's, they'll pick the PV. If you pole 30 - 60's they'll pick the Yorkie. Pole the 60+'s they'll ask if there is anything smaller.

You won't go wrong with either, but you have to decide which better meets your needs in all aspects.

DRA
  • Options
    Well... Dra, I might play devils advocate here...at least in the power handling portion...The Peavey's have a 4\" voice coil woofer and a humongous power peak of 3200 watts! This compares to a 3\" voice coil 12 ...Likewise the Horn has a 2.0\" Voice coil versus the 1.5\" on the Yorkie...

I can speak from experience that if your going to use a speaker fullrange that the Peavey will REALLY CRANK! and they project a LONG ways...I use them outdoors in the winter ... fullrange 1250 watts each and they are clearly audible at the top of the ski hill about 1/2 mile away!... and NOT aimed up at the top either...

BUT.. as Dra points out the 12\" would be a smoother midrange, and the phonelic diaphragm perhaps smoother as well...so in a club setting with short throws... might be superior, when used with subs....

If however you need full range capabilities it's hard to beat the Peavey speakers at that price point...
    Gadget
  • Options
    So there you have it. 2 definite votes for... \"It depends.\".
    8)
    DRA
  • Options
    I hate the thought of depends...I know we come in naked and cold... but I DON\"T WANT TO GO OUT IN DEPENDS! :lol:

I prefer \"it's a definite maybe\"

G :roll:
  • Options
    Infinitesimal problabilities. :roll:

DRA
  • Options
    Well. I reckon we are going away from everything you guys have suggested.lol. I guess we are gonna get 2 Mackie s215's and a Mackie 218 Sub. What are you guys thoughts on that setup. I loved the Yorkies but I cant convice the guy with the money to get them over the Mackies. I think the Yorkies are sweet as heck but without having another speaker to play beside it hurt. At the music store the Mackies out performed the Ev eliminater,the EV gladiator, EAW, and the Behringer. Well the gladiator actually had a better bottom end but with a sub we saved a $130 a speaker with the Mackie. ANyways. what are you guys opinion on those. Did we make a smart choice or am I going to regret it.. Thanks
  • Options
    Not even in the same building...BIG mistake...
  • Options
    Well the good news is that you say they out performed the others, so you got the best one of the group. The thing to consider is that some manufacturers \"voice\" cabs to be \"pleasing\" and are not very flat. This could hurt in a feedback prone environment. Did the salesman do any gain before feedback comparisons?
    Let us know how the final product turns out.

DRA
  • Options
    Hey guys. Will you both please send me e-mails at chrisu7582@yahoo.com stating why the yorkville e 12's would be a better choice than the Mackie s215's.Just wanting something I can print out and take to church with me and show some folks. They have never heard of Yorkville so it is soo hard to convince them to get something they never heard of. Plus, some dont think that a 12\" would be enough. Dra, is there anywhere around here I can go to listen to some Yorkies compared to other speakers. Side by side. I appreciate you guys a bunch. I just want what is best for the church and what will sound better, whichever speaker that is. WE may even be able to go a little higher in budget, but remember.. It IS a church. And not a huge one. MAX 60ft wide,80 ft long. Again, I do thank you..
  • Options
    First, if you get a sub then their concern is moot about the 12\" woofer. Then all the more reason to get a 12\" for the vocal clarity.

Just print out this thread for them.

Gadget has some big ones. I have smaller ones. We are both happy. He is mostly band sound and some venue DJ. I am mostly DJ with some convention work that would be very similar to a church setup. Podium, soloist with tracks and some live accompaniament (however you spell that).

DRA