Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard

Help with configuring Lin6 Stagesource speakers

roneysmathewsroneysmathews Posts: 13
edited June 2016 in Configuration Wizard
Hi

So I finally got the Venu360 unit however I am unable to setup the Xover frequencies for my speakers correctly. Can anyone assist with the settings I should put for customizing the speakers for the Mains (Line6 StageSource L3t Powered speakers) and Subwoofer (Line6 StageSource L3s Powered Subwoofer) in the Stereo Speaker with Mono sub configuration. I know these may not be the best speakers for our House of Worship, but we need to have them for atleast another year n half before we upgrade to something else.

Please guys, I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me the configuration values for how they should be setup for Xover and power amp settings and how they need to be configured.

Thanks guys

FOH
Presonus Studio Live 24AI mixer
Line6 StageSource L3t for FoH
Line6 StageSource L3s Subwoofer

Guitar
Line6 Helix
Les Paul Studio Pro 2014

Monitors
Digital Audio Labs Live Mix AD-24 Personal mixing system
Sure SE 535 IEM
Sennheiser ew300 G3 Wireles IEM

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Do you need help with actually selecting the correct configuration, or setting the parameters of the x-overs?

DRA
  • @Dra: both actually. This is the first time using an external signal processing system. So both would be helpful.

Appreciate the effort.

Thanks
    Well, I just spent an hour writing you a detailed reply and lost it all. Poof.

Have you downloaded the ap?
    Have you watched the tutorials available?
    You can play around in virtual mode, and learn a lot.

Go through the Wizard system set-up.
    I assume that you are not using the "link system".

Set up the 360 with subs as "Mono x2" config.
    If you have problems getting through the set-up process, let me know.

I recommended x-over setting as follows:
    mains 120hz LR24
    Subs 45hz BW18 - 120hz LR24

Set the x-over switch on the sub to "OFF"

If you have questions, let me know.

DRA
  • Yes I did watch the videos, but i wasnt sure what values to assign on the custom speaker configuration.

Here is some info that i gathered from the manufacturer (Line6) and their distributor here

Hi
    So here is what I gathered from the manufacturer (Line6) and supplier. Please help me in setting the values for the custom speakers.

"The L6L3T and L6L3S are powered cabinets with active DSP. I would put NO extra processing on the cabinets, as they do not need it. Do not use the Crossover, Limiters, or Parametric EQ on the DBX as they are already built into the cabinets. The only thing I’d use the DBX for would be Graphic E.Q (to tune the speaker system to the room) and the feedback suppressor to get rid of unwanted problematic frequencies.

I recommend this exact procedure with all Yorkville powered cabinets when they are used with our ART SMS226, and VTC DLMS4080 processors. Send the outputs of the mixer to the inputs of the DBX, and take the “High/Mid� out into the L3T and Sub out into the L3S and run two full range signals (let the DSP, crossovers and limiters do all the work as they are intended to do). They may want to add a bit of subharmonic synth if desired. Not too much, as those speakers are only dual 12’s."

Here are the specs of the speaker as well:

L6L3T
    Frequency Range (-10db) 40Hz to 19kHz
    (+3db) 47Hz to 18kHz
    The L3t is a tri amp loudspeaker
    LF1 Low pass is at 250Hz
    LF2 to HF Crossover is anywhere from 2.2kHz to 7.0kHz (Depends on speaker mode)
    Maximum Gain Input is +25dBu (This is Gain at minimum and 20 dB pad on.
    Gain range is Infinity to +57dB
    Onset Limiting Occurs at +7dBu (Master level control at Center)
    -5dBu occurs at Master Level at Maximum.

L6L3S
    Freq. Range (-10dB) 34Hz to 2.8kHz
    +3dB 38Hz to 910Hz
    Max Input Level +20dBu
    Limiting +11 dBu (Master at Center)
    -1 dBu (Master at Max.)

Please let me know how to configure the speaker from these values provided by the Speaker manufacturer and distributor. Additionally, would the Venu360 be an over-kill for my current need and if so, which would the right Drive Rack to use for our current speaker. Would i need to turn off the Crossover, Limiters, and Parametric EQ on the Venu 360 and use it only for GEQ, AFS and subharmonic synth?

Kindly let me know your thoughts, so I can make a decision and set it up for this weekend.

Thanks
  • Nope I am not using the Line6 Link system. I wanted to go stereo out to the mains and mono out from the venu360 to the sub.
  • I have only 1 sub, should i still be setting this sub as "Mono x2"?
    Dra wrote:
    Well, I just spent an hour writing you a detailed reply and lost it all. Poof.

Set up the 360 with subs as "Mono x2" config.
    If you have problems getting through the set-up process, let me know.

I recommended x-over setting as follows:
    mains 120hz LR24
    Subs 45hz BW18 - 120hz LR24

Set the x-over switch on the sub to "OFF"

If you have questions, let me know.

DRA
    What is the reason that you want to have the 360 control the sub?

If the Sub allows for stereo inputs to pass through to the R&L tops, I agree with the manufacturer. No guess work on the filter types and frequencies.
    As far as using the GEQ, You can use it to find the problem areas and then transfer the info to the PEQ. PEQ's affect phase much less than GEQ's. Sub-synth? I wouldn't use much, if any. Are you going to control the monitors with it?
  • I want to use the 360 to xover properly the lows and mids. If i were to connect the mains from the mixer directly to the sub and from them go straight to the FOH speaker, I can accomplish this X-over. However, in our current installation, I cannot use this method as the wiring behind the wall was done in a different manner (and re-doing it now is not a possibility). Hence I want Output 1&2 from the 360 to go to the Fullrange speakers for mids and highs and output 3 from the 360 to go as a mono sub.

Yes I plan to use a little sub harmonic synth, as required. Our congregational worship session typical requires a lot more bottom end and I believe a little sub harmonic synth will assist in this.
  • Nope I am not going to configure monitors with it. But I plan on using the remaining outputs for speakers outside the main sanctuary (side fill speakers) in common areas.
    Any more questions?
  • Hi Dra

Yes I still dont know the values to enter in the wizard while running the Wizard from my tab/pc (- HP Frequency, - LP Frequency, - Gain, - Phase, - Polarity, - HP Slop Type, - LP Slope Type, - Parametric EQ settings) to enter for the speakers and subs in the Venu360. Here are the details I gathered regarding the speakers and subs:
    Here are the specs of the speaker as well:

L6L3T
    Frequency Range (-10db) 40Hz to 19kHz
    (+3db) 47Hz to 18kHz
    The L3t is a tri amp loudspeaker
    LF1 Low pass is at 250Hz
    LF2 to HF Crossover is anywhere from 2.2kHz to 7.0kHz (Depends on speaker mode)
    Maximum Gain Input is +25dBu (This is Gain at minimum and 20 dB pad on.
    Gain range is Infinity to +57dB
    Onset Limiting Occurs at +7dBu (Master level control at Center)
    -5dBu occurs at Master Level at Maximum.

L6L3S
    Freq. Range (-10dB) 34Hz to 2.8kHz
    +3dB 38Hz to 910Hz
    Max Input Level +20dBu
    Limiting +11 dBu (Master at Center)
    -1 dBu (Master at Max.)
    Check out my 2nd reply. Though these are not done during the wizard. They are done after by opening up the x-over and making the changes.

DRA