Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PA2

Driverack PA2 Auto EQ With One Channel (Mono) Setup

stillistilli Posts: 4
edited January 2018 in DriveRack PA2
I have found older threads discussing the issue with Auto E using only one (mono) speaker on one channel and would like to know if this has been resolved as the latest thread I found was dated 2014 in which it was deemed necessary to use a 'Y' cable to simulate the second channel connection.

Also, with the one channel only setup should I do more than one mic placement and if more than one is desirable what distances/placement is best to use.

I will be using one Bose L1m2/B2 full range active speaker array in this setup (mono out of one channel).

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Page 15 of the manual shows how to locate and move the mic. The purpose is so a reading is made with each speaker at equal distance to the mic (1), closer to one speaker (2), closer to the other speaker but further away (3), then further away from both (4). It is to get a average response of how the 2 speakers interact with the room in different areas.

DRA
  • stillistilli Posts: 4
    Dra wrote:
    Page 15 of the manual shows how to locate and move the mic. The purpose is so a reading is made with each speaker at equal distance to the mic (1), closer to one speaker (2), closer to the other speaker but further away (3), then further away from both (4). It is to get a average response of how the 2 speakers interact with the room in different areas.

DRA

Thanks for your reply, I have read the manual but unfortunately you didn't read my post, I am only using 1 speaker in a mono setup.
    You weren't clear. You referenced a well known AFS set-up technique (using only 1 speaker to do the testing), so I assumed that. Sorry.
    Well, if you are only using 1 speaker for performance, you still would be best to get multiple samples around the room. They all just need to be within the pattern of the speaker.

^

DRA
    oops should have done this:

" ^ "
    " "
    " * "
    " "
    " * * "
    " "
    " * "
    Oh well. Even that didn't work. Sorry.
  • stillistilli Posts: 4
    Dra wrote:
    Oh well. Even that didn't work. Sorry.

Never mind, at least you tried.

I can resolve the single speaker issue using a Splitter cable reducing the two outputs into one line but what I'm really not sure about is how far away to place the RTA mic, is it advantageous to take more than one reading and if so where should I place the mic for subsequent readings, somewhere along the direct in front axis or slightly off axis, does it really matter?
    Thought I answered that. But let's assume that the room is 50' wide and 100' deep.
    Mic @ 40' - 0 degrees
    Mic @ 25' - 45 degrees left
    Mic @ 55' - 45 degrees right
    Mic @ 75' - 45 degrees left or right

More than 45 degrees if appropriate, but you get the idea.

DRA