Home Soundcraft User Forum Soundcraft Mixing Consoles
Options

Vi6 2 displays and bays do not power

I have a Vi6 where two of the 3 left input bayys will not power on. It is usually the same two, but not always. Eventually they all power on.

It seems like a power supply problem of some sort. Has anyone encountered this? If so, what was the fix?

Comments

• Options

The power on the bay flickers as each comes on... Then it works fine. I really think this is an internal power supply issue with possibly an old capacitor, or capacitors someplace

• Options

@ScoutFox said:
    The power on the bay flickers as each comes on... Then it works fine. I really think this is an internal power supply issue with possibly an old capacitor, or capacitors someplace

I wanted to agree with this, built the diagnostics on the main display show those bays as connected. Further, I was reading the Vi400/600 upgrade kit manual and noticed the power distribution board seems to be integrated into the upgrade. I suspect the power sequencing circuit on the distro board is bad somehow. Perhaps a cold solder joint from moving the console since this was made shortly after the RoHS transition that introduced brittle solder.

I am now pursuing the upgrade kit, and I found a Vi4 in cosmetically rough shape used with the upgrade in it and a Dante card for the right price, so I am going to go that route, and then keep the Vi4 parts as spares.

I haver to go pick it up on the 17th of December and will try to do the parts swap and report back here on the 19th.